Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    This season has very much exceeded my expectations. In all reality, the hope for me for this year before the season was to see development out of arcia and that broxton and Santana could play okay enough to build some trade value.

And then it was hopefully see some prospects up in august to fill spots from traded guys and maybe they would play okay.

Even if we don't make the playoffs, the fact that we are playing meaningful baseball in September is awesome. Despite our difference of opinions on some players, I think we can all agree that this season exceeded expectations already.

Very happy with how this season has gone. My only complaint is that I was hopeful we'd learn more about some of our key prospects right now I think we've uncovered far more questions marks than we've answered. I'm happy enough with Santana, Shaw, and Arcia moving forward and it seems like Woodruff can start next year (limited starts but he's performed well) and Hader has been solid out of the bullpen despite giving up runs in 2 straight appearneces. Plus Knebel looks like he can be the closer of the future.

Concerens; Villar, Broxton, Braun (health), 1B, Hader as a starter, Catcher (can Pina hit this well next year), Brinson, Phillips, and the list of minor league questions goes on.

Was just hoping to see a few more appearences from the minors and a few less from specifically Broxton.

To be fair, we were likely to have those question marks regardless of season. It's not like any key fixture of the future has failed, unless you count villar as a key fixture. I think most of us were excited about him, but I'm sure all of us had some reservations given his history.

If anything, we have answered some more questions. Prior to this year, I think Davies was the only non prospect that we assumed would be part of the future rotation. Now, we at least have Davies, Nelson and Anderson as potential multi year rotation options.

I also think we may see Shaw at first sooner than we think. Erceg being given the aggressive promotion to AAA for the playoffs is a great sign that they love his bat, despite a poor first half. He may only need another season of minor leagues at most before he's potentially up. And with his defensive chops at 3rd, we can slide Shaw to first if he doesn't regress.

Yea you're right. I guess I'm mainly just dissapointed because I wanted to see a lot more Brinson and Phillips. If the hype on Brinson is deserved it would be nice to see. The sample we got wasn't very good, but its also possible he's just not ready. Look how long it has taken Buxton to play well.

I also wouldn't be suprised at all too see Arcia, Pina, and even Shaw take a step back next season. I think Arcia will turn into a good hitter but is most likely a bit early with his success. Pina I think has overperformed this year. My only concern with Shaw is that he's really struggled against left handed pitching and has fallen off a lot lately. I don't anticipate a big drop off from Shaw, but it wouldn't suprise me if he hit closer to the .250 range next season.

I agree on pina. If I had to be a betting man, I'd put money on regression from pina. Shaw is an interesting case. He's always had the talent and power, and he seemed to put it together this year. It's possible he falls off, but it's just as possible he plays well again. Same for arcia. I could see an instance where he regresses, but I think he's likely to settle in somewhat close to what he is right now as a hitter.

Brinson is an interesting case. He has a relatively high ceiling because he is a good defender. So he should be a plus player on that alone. The bat has always been his issue. It's been great since he's been in the brewers farm, but he had issues towards the end of his tenure with Texas. I think there's going to be plenty of growing pains with him. Long term, he should be better than broxton, but I wouldn't be shocked with a broxton like performance out of the gate for Brinson.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 09-05-2017 at 05:39 PM.

I think Domingo has been the most consistent Brewers player besides Shaw. Can't be good all year long unless you're Trout lol. This team is pretty set position-player wise. Could use another starter but I think Woodruff has put claim on 4 or 5 spot next year. If Brewers got an ace type guy look out, especially if they can lock down a couple solid relievers in the offseason to take up the 7th, 8th innings like Neshek, Nicasio or bring Swarzak back.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    I think Domingo has been the most consistent Brewers player besides Shaw. Can't be good all year long unless you're Trout lol. This team is pretty set position-player wise. Could use another starter but I think Woodruff has put claim on 4 or 5 spot next year. If Brewers got an ace type guy look out, especially if they can lock down a couple solid relievers in the offseason to take up the 7th, 8th innings like Neshek, Nicasio or bring Swarzak back.
    Completely disagree with this team being set position wise. Our offense right now is just pathetic. We're last in the MLB in just about every offensive category since the break. First base needs work (not trying to start another debate on it but just IMO. Thames can't even get in the lineup he's been so bad), second base needs work (not sure anyone would be confident moving forward with Villar), center field is a hole, and I think we will need a catching upgrade (I would see what Lucroy would cost, he's been so bad this year maybe we could get him cheap?). Pina is most likely a backup calibre catcher and Vogt is just terrible with his arm. Braun, Santana, Shaw, and Arcia are my only locks going into next season.

On a side note, is anyone else annoyed with the decision to start Garza today? Okay great, we push Nelson back and now he gets to start Friday against the Cubs, but what good does that do us if we lose today against the Reds? We need wins, doesn't matter who they come against!

Gatza has been terrible. I don't mind the decision to push back Nelson if we had a better option than Garza, as it sets us up well for the rest of the season with Nelson. But starting Garza is head scratching. I think we out thought ourselves on this one.

But at the end of the day, the offense struggling can especially struggling to get big hits lately, is the biggest culprit to getting swept by cincy. The reds offense has been pretty good all year, but their pitching has been atrocious. Not being able to capitalize on their poor pitching is killing us.
    Last edited by crewfan13; 09-06-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Honestly I'm glad football season is starting. Its great that we're in contention in September but this team just gives me zero confidence. We flat out can't hit and the strikeouts are a major concern.

I was talking to a friend today about Carlos Gomez and he mentioned how often Gomez used to strikeout. Without thinking much about it I agreed. And then I decided to look up the numbers of some of the Brewers players this year in comparison to Gomez. Gomez struck out something like 145 times in 625 at bats for us (just rough numbers from when he was a decent player for us). Now that's a decent amount of strikeouts but when compared to current Brewers. Broxton has 156 already with just 375 AB, Thames has 145 in just 416 at bats, Santana has 151 is just 455 at bats, Villar has 127 in just 390 AB, even Shaw is up to 116 in just 456 at bats. These numbers are bad! I know in todays game strikeouts aren't frowned upon like they used to be, but when you're striking out that often its impossible to have any sort of consistent offense.

Even if we don't make the playoffs I just hope we can win the majority of the remaining games against the cubs

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    Honestly I'm glad football season is starting. Its great that we're in contention in September but this team just gives me zero confidence. We flat out can't hit and the strikeouts are a major concern.

I was talking to a friend today about Carlos Gomez and he mentioned how often Gomez used to strikeout. Without thinking much about it I agreed. And then I decided to look up the numbers of some of the Brewers players this year in comparison to Gomez. Gomez struck out something like 145 times in 625 at bats for us (just rough numbers from when he was a decent player for us). Now that's a decent amount of strikeouts but when compared to current Brewers. Broxton has 156 already with just 375 AB, Thames has 145 in just 416 at bats, Santana has 151 is just 455 at bats, Villar has 127 in just 390 AB, even Shaw is up to 116 in just 456 at bats. These numbers are bad! I know in todays game strikeouts aren't frowned upon like they used to be, but when you're striking out that often its impossible to have any sort of consistent offense.
    What I meant for the position players being largely set I think it is. IMO Villar will be at second and Thames and Aguilar will be at first in 2018 and then a replacement for CF is in the system. Brewers probably aren't going outside to find help.

The offense completely plummeting is pretty puzzling. The first two months of the year the Brewers weren't winning unless they scored about 5 runs per game. Now they barely score 5 runs a series. It's been crazy. Talk about disappointing...I mean I would have been much more at peace losing to the Nats/Cubs or Dodgers than getting swept by the Reds.

Also completely agree with the Garza start being stupid. I think Counsell is battling himself right now with his decision-making and Coles should have been fired weeks ago. Have to do something. Why not give Phillips a start in center rather than Villar? Then play Villar at comfortable position at second? Sogard isn't a difference maker. He's a 4th IF. Leading him off just because is a lefty is idiotic. Hey you can't hit but you're left-handed. Need to forget about his out-of-body experience the first month. He's a career .240 hitter

Totally agree. That lineup where we trot out Sogard, Arcia, Walker, and Villar is terrible. That's too many weak bats in the lineup at once. Broxton is terrible and doesn't deserve playing time (unless we have a lead late). I would love to see Phillips gets some time. He's a potential upgrade with the bat and decent enough at defense (better than Villar, not as fast as Broxton). Villar should be getting starts at 2nd. I'm okay with Walker at first and then using Sogard strictly for pinch hitting.

I still think there are positions we look to adjust this off-season other than pitching. My bet would be we look to add a catcher and a first basemen. Sorry but Aguilar can't hit lefties and Thames is terrible. The fact that Thames can't even get in the lineup right now tells me the Brewers are ready to move on. Maybe they give him an off season and the spring to figure things out, but I doubt they're comfortable with the options we have.

I doubt we add any starting pitching other than from within the organization. There just aren't any decent free agents available within our price range. Maybe a trade for a 4th starter as insurance for Hader/Woodruff? Relief pitching will be the big mover. I'd bring back Jeffries if possible and look to add a reliever for the 7th/8th innings because I'm assuming Hader won't be there and Barnes isn't good enough.

Brewers are toast tonight if the offense can't hit friggin' Lackey again.

The way we've been playing, well probably take 2 of 3 against the cubs the get swept by the pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    The way we've been playing, well probably take 2 of 3 against the cubs the get swept by the pirates.
    Looking at the pitching matchups Brewers have the advantage in the first two games and Davies has been phenomenal last 6 weeks. But when your offense is scoring less than 3 runs a game.....It's hard to blame CC now. Anything he's tried hasn't worked. I am not even sure what else he can do. At a certain point have to think Coles needs to be gone. But probably too late and just will ride season out now

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast