Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    With new management, you would hope so, but who knows. If it was still the old owner. I'd bet Stanton would have been shopped this offseason.

I don't think this team needs a lot of help position player wise. I think Villar even if he is in between last year and this year is a decent starting 2B and a leadoff hitter. I think a lot of improvement will happen with young players and then try to get a horse starter and strengthen the bullpen. I like Jesus at first at least as a platoon. Then Thames can start 60-70 games.

That one hurt

I will say that even though we lost the game last night I've been liking how CC is managing recently. Hader was bound to blow a game eventually. First pitch he throws a get ahead fastball and the guy knocked it out. Unfortunate but that's going to happen every now and again. Can't complain about the order of brining in relievers thoug (other than maybe Barnes after Hader). I also like how aggressive he was brining in pinch hitters. If you can't hit (Broxton!) we have no time for you in the lineup and you're going to get pinch hit for. I like it.

and we learned some stuff too. Hader didn't appear to have his top stuff and I think this was one of the first, if not the first time hader has legit thrown on back to back days. Not blaming him at all, but we now probably know it's not a great idea to use him in a high leverage situation on back to back games, unless it's maybe for 1 batter on one of the days.

Also lost in the translation and the loss last night was a heck of an outing by woodruff. I'm not expecting 1 run outings moving forward, but if he can provide good outings as a #4 starter, that would be huge. Especially with expanded rosters, we can afford to let him attack hitters and pull him after 5 if needed.

Great win today! Wild card race could be very interesting. We have 7 left against the cubbies

We have to play Better against Pittsburgh. If we can take 5 of those 6 I'd be ecstatic!

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    I will say that even though we lost the game last night I've been liking how CC is managing recently. Hader was bound to blow a game eventually. First pitch he throws a get ahead fastball and the guy knocked it out. Unfortunate but that's going to happen every now and again. Can't complain about the order of brining in relievers thoug (other than maybe Barnes after Hader). I also like how aggressive he was brining in pinch hitters. If you can't hit (Broxton!) we have no time for you in the lineup and you're going to get pinch hit for. I like it.
    Just wondering was Swarzak unavailable yesterday? With RH hitting Taylor and Turner as 2 of first 3 guys why not go that route and let Hader come in vs/ Murphy if need be? But anywho that is in rearview mirror as the Brewers bounced back with nice win today. Was nice to get a relatively easy win.

Santana has been one of the most consistent Brewers all year. Might end up leading team in homers as Thames and Shaw haven't hit one for weeks. Hopefully the Brewers can keep it rolling on the road in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by twellner9 View Post
    I get Gordon was talked about but since I think the Marlins have proven to be somewhat contendors not sure it still makes sense. Stanton was also talked about as a potential trade piece but with how he's performing why would you trade him? At some point the Marlins actually have to try and compete again right?
    Just read an article on yahoo that says it sounds as if the marlins will be looking to shed payroll this offseason. They are apparently on pace to lose $50 million this season, so they may need to make some significant cuts to payroll. So there's a strong chance Gordon is available, and if you're willing to take on the contract, he can be had relatively cheap in guessing. But I don't think I want to take on that contract.

Quote Originally Posted by gopackgo87 View Post
    Just wondering was Swarzak unavailable yesterday? With RH hitting Taylor and Turner as 2 of first 3 guys why not go that route and let Hader come in vs/ Murphy if need be? But anywho that is in rearview mirror as the Brewers bounced back with nice win today. Was nice to get a relatively easy win.

Santana has been one of the most consistent Brewers all year. Might end up leading team in homers as Thames and Shaw haven't hit one for weeks. Hopefully the Brewers can keep it rolling on the road in Cincy.

Counsell said that Corey was unavailable on Saturday so the plan was to go Hader/Swarzak.

CC has done a great job this year though overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thechidz View Post
    We have to play Better against Pittsburgh. If we can take 5 of those 6 I'd be ecstatic!
    Obvisously that would be awesome, but especially when you're right in the thick of things, you need to focus on trying to win each series. Sweeps are great, but the focus needs to be on winning or splitting series. If you do that, you put a ton of pressure on the teams in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Just read an article on yahoo that says it sounds as if the marlins will be looking to shed payroll this offseason. They are apparently on pace to lose $50 million this season, so they may need to make some significant cuts to payroll. So there's a strong chance Gordon is available, and if you're willing to take on the contract, he can be had relatively cheap in guessing. But I don't think I want to take on that contract.
    If that's true I don't understand why they haven't moved that team out of Miami. Fairly new ballpark with a relatively competetive team and they are going to lose $50 million with less than $100 million in payroll? So the only way they could make money with that team is to either draw far bigger crows or to cut payroll back under the $50 million mark. I see that team moving within 10 years.

I would agree. For what it's worth, they started the season with about $112 million in payroll (which surprised me that it was that high). So the article mentioned they may either sell Stanton and try to get a top level prospect or keep him and sell of multiple other guys, like Gordon and potentially one of the OF who will be up for extension soon. They may "only" be looking to drop the payroll to the $75-85 million range, which is somewhat acceptable.

But if they can't draw fans with Stanton threatening the 60 homer mark while still somewht in the wildcard race, I don't know how you raise attendance. I know Miami is one of the most fair weather sports cities out there, but their baseball attendance is crazy low.

And the sad thing is that a team like the Marlins that is constantly shedding payroll still has 2 WS wins in the last 20 years compared to our 4 playoff appearences in franchise history. I guess I could see them selling off Stanton and Gordon except if that is the plan then why bother to sign them in the first place? They could have traded Stanton before his huge extension and gotten far more for him via trade. They also have Ozuna who is due for an extension soon, as well as Yelich who gets far more expensive every year until his contract is up, and a few old relievers that are bad but locked up for next year still.

Looks to me like more future payroll problems than just this season.

It would be pretty crazy when you think if the Brewers would make the postseason with all that's happened with this team's payroll. Villar been bad nearly all year; Braun 14 homers in September; Thames been cold for 3 months; No production from CF for months; Chase Anderson hurt for 6 weeks; tough losses from bullpen...this team shows a lot of fight. Hopefully can bounce back from tough loss yesterday and get a win in Cincy today.

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast