Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

2017 Season Discussion

I figured we should have one for this year. The Crew aren't of to a great start at 2-5, the rotation hasn't been great and the offense has struck out a lot (which we knew would happen). Villar has struck out 15 times in 30 abs, which is horrific for a lead-off speed driven player.

I can't see Tommy Milone or Brent Suter lasting much longer and a couple bats like Santana and Broxton could be in trouble in a couple weeks especially with the outfield talent in AAA.

Domingo Santana would have to really struggle IMO for a long while. The rope is shorter for Broxton. TBH, I can't believe Millone is on the roster. He is batting practice. Davies has had two horrible starts. I am encouraged by Nelson, Peralta early starts. Hopefully Davies can turn it around and Nelson and Peralta can continue to show positive 2017 signs. Millone stinks, just put Jungmann out there.

Agreed that Santana would need to struggle but with Aguilar hitting like he has been I could see Thames shifting to left Braun to right and Santana out of a everyday spot. Where as I can't see Kirk taking over as the everyday center fielder and I think the organization would wait until at least later May to bring Brinson up in center to keep his service time in tack.

I would rather see just about anyone than Milone in the rotation. I would put a bunch of minor leaguers up before give him another start. I don't think I'd bring Hader up yet for the same reason as Brinson, but Woodruff, Lopez, Cravy, Jungman, and probably a couple more deserve a big league opportunity than that straight 87 mph garbage Milone features.

I think we'll have a fairly long leash on both Santana and broxton. There's really no reason not to. I don't think they are a huge part of the future plan, but they can both be valuable trade chips, possibly as early as this deadline. And there's already teams that have questionable production from their outfield before injuries have really set in. The fact that we could make some controlable, cheap OF available at the deadline could be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think we'll have a fairly long leash on both Santana and broxton. There's really no reason not to. I don't think they are a huge part of the future plan, but they can both be valuable trade chips, possibly as early as this deadline. And there's already teams that have questionable production from their outfield before injuries have really set in. The fact that we could make some controlable, cheap OF available at the deadline could be huge.
    It really is crazy the amount of OF the Brewers have with Cordell, Brinson, Phillips and others in the minors.

Obviously Ray and Clark are the other two big names. But even guys like mike reed and Kyle Wren, who probably never get much of a shot with us are top 10 prospects in a fair amount of orgs right now.

In an ideal world, all those dudes workout and we can figure out how to trade and move them as needed. But realistically some will fail. But given our depth, I think there's a good chance we have at least 3 decent to good starters in that group. The hope now is that at least one of them turns into an all star caliber guy.

I really like Brinson and Cordell. If I had to guess I think Phillips will flop. Ks a ton and doesn't strike me as a great or above average defender.

By most accounts Phillips is supposed to be a pretty decent defender with a very good arm. He may fail, but it will be due to the bat, not the defense.

What do you guys think the chances are that Braun gets traded by May 24 when his 10/5 rights kick in and he has a full no trade clause. I think the Dodgers remain the most likely destination but with us playing well so far I can't see us rushing early in the year to send him out (we do play the cubs and cards the next 7 which will tell us a ton about this years team).

From the articles I was reading, I don't think they think the full no trade will be a big deal. He already has no trade protection to a bunch of teams, and the ones he doesn't have no trade protection to are the teams he'd accept a trade to.

Like you said, the dodgers are the most likely candidate, but he'd most likely accept a trade there regardless of whether or not he could veto it.