Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
    Typically speaking, bunting with anyone outside of the pitcher lowers your total run scored, so it limits the big inning. However, when you need a run to tie the game, your probability for scoring 1 run (which gob absolutely need to score to extend the game) is higher with a runner on 2nd and 1 out than it is with a runner on 1st with no outs.

Then factor in the hitters. Sogard had been playing fairy well and was having a nice game. But he's not a great player and has an extended track record as a less than stellar player. Neil walker and Ryan braun both have track records of being very successful hitters.

In 95% of situations I would agree to not bunt. But to me, that was one of the few situations where a non pitcher bunt probably made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    Typically speaking, bunting with anyone outside of the pitcher lowers your total run scored, so it limits the big inning. However, when you need a run to tie the game, your probability for scoring 1 run (which gob absolutely need to score to extend the game) is higher with a runner on 2nd and 1 out than it is with a runner on 1st with no outs.

Then factor in the hitters. Sogard had been playing fairy well and was having a nice game. But he's not a great player and has an extended track record as a less than stellar player. Neil walker and Ryan braun both have track records of being very successful hitters.

In 95% of situations I would agree to not bunt. But to me, that was one of the few situations where a non pitcher bunt probably made sense.
    Disappointing series with Cubs but this pen is fried. The offense just hasn't been good enough plain and simple in the second half. The pitching has been great all second half. The pen is fried and I think the need to be perfect has really weighed on the pen. Disappointing the offense can't break out more than once every 3 weeks or we have to win every game 3-2. Just not realistic.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728