Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,584
    At 15-14 we may be buying instead of selling at the deadline. We have some middle of the road prospects who are mostly blocked especially in the OF who we could package and bolster the pen or try and get a ace caliber starter. I could see Danny Duffy, Marco Estrada, JA Happ and Julio Teharen being available among others. We could send 3 or 4 prospects in the right deal and still have a 10 ten farm. Say Corey Ray, Brandon Woodruff, Gilbert Lara, and Kodi Medierios for Teharen and a bullpen arm. That's 2 top 100ish players and 2 young big potential guys for a 1/2 level pitcher. Of course, we would need to be a couple games above .500 to even think about a big deal like that.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,754
    I could see us potentially doing that, but for me it's still a little early in the rebuild to give up ray. Even with Teheran, we don't have the horses to line up in a playoff series when starting pitching is vital. If we make it, we are probably a relatively easy out.

    And ray has superstar potential. I know Teheran is young, effective and controllable, so you aren't giving up Ray for nothing, but ray is one of the prospects i don't want to part with unless it brings us a bonafide ace. To me, the near untouchables are Brinson, ray, hader, erceg, Diaz and Ortiz. Anyone else I can stomach trading, but any of those guys would need to get me something really, really good.

    I'm okay with us making a small trade to try to remain in the wild card, maybe something like a reed or Wren for a lefty specialist. But other than that, id still be okay with us being sellers. I also think we are in a position where we could try to make one of those contender to contender type deals. If we find a team with a weak outfield and strong starting pitcher, we can give them something like Santana and Peralta (who could slot in as their 5th starter) for a teams 3rd starter or something like that.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I could see us potentially doing that, but for me it's still a little early in the rebuild to give up ray. Even with Teheran, we don't have the horses to line up in a playoff series when starting pitching is vital. If we make it, we are probably a relatively easy out.

    And ray has superstar potential. I know Teheran is young, effective and controllable, so you aren't giving up Ray for nothing, but ray is one of the prospects i don't want to part with unless it brings us a bonafide ace. To me, the near untouchables are Brinson, ray, hader, erceg, Diaz and Ortiz. Anyone else I can stomach trading, but any of those guys would need to get me something really, really good.

    I'm okay with us making a small trade to try to remain in the wild card, maybe something like a reed or Wren for a lefty specialist. But other than that, id still be okay with us being sellers. I also think we are in a position where we could try to make one of those contender to contender type deals. If we find a team with a weak outfield and strong starting pitcher, we can give them something like Santana and Peralta (who could slot in as their 5th starter) for a teams 3rd starter or something like that.
    Agree 100 percent. And lets be real it's highly doubtful the Brewers will remain in the race because of the lack of pitching. In 32 games the Brewers have had a starter go past 6 innings just 4 times. 4. Half of those are by Garza which is really scary lol. Nelson never takes the next step, Peralta either. Yeah he has 4 wins but a lot of that is based on run support. I said this team would win more games than last year. 75 or so. But I think that will be about exactly on the nose correct.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,584
    I 100% agree that we will not likely stay in the race and that getting 1 top of the rotation guy isn't enough. Just food for thought. I'm not as high on Ray as most, I would prefer to sell high on him when he is a top 30ish prospect, I see his potential as more of a Curtis Granderson than a superstar.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,754
    I get what you're saying, but to be fair, granderson is a pretty decent player. He's a 3x all star with a top 5 finish in the MVP race one year and he's had 5 seasons of 4 or more WAR, with his best season being a 7.6 WAR. Maybe superstar isn't the right word, but if he hits that level, that's a really useful guy to have quite a bit of control over.

    You have to figure this is the last chance for Peralta and maybe Nelson. Give them until the all star break or so to try to right the ship, but if they don't, either trade them or move them to the bullpen. We have guys in the minors who probably deserve a shot this year, so I'm not sure how long of look Peralta and Nelson should get. But I do think both have pretty decent stuff that they could be interesting in the bullpen. So I guess not all is lost with them.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I get what you're saying, but to be fair, granderson is a pretty decent player. He's a 3x all star with a top 5 finish in the MVP race one year and he's had 5 seasons of 4 or more WAR, with his best season being a 7.6 WAR. Maybe superstar isn't the right word, but if he hits that level, that's a really useful guy to have quite a bit of control over.

    You have to figure this is the last chance for Peralta and maybe Nelson. Give them until the all star break or so to try to right the ship, but if they don't, either trade them or move them to the bullpen. We have guys in the minors who probably deserve a shot this year, so I'm not sure how long of look Peralta and Nelson should get. But I do think both have pretty decent stuff that they could be interesting in the bullpen. So I guess not all is lost with them.
    Peralta could be especially. Not really high on Nelson. Seems a bit lost and a headcase. Wily if he could just start his slider near the strike zone could be pretty dang good. 98 with sink and a slider is enough for 3 or 4 batters. I agree. This team needs to start moving guys along the system faster. Guys like Lopez just toiling in minors. Teams like STL, SF, etc. get guys up to the majors by 21 or 22. By the time Brewers get guys going they are on the back side of their 20s it seems. At least Davies is young. Lopez has a lot of positive momentum right now after WBC and now to start the minor-league season. Bring him up soon. Why not?

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    687
    When are the Brewers going to trade or release Feliz? He just doesn't have it anymore. Knebel should be the closer 1.00 ERA plus 29 strike outs in 17.1 innings, clear closer material.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,356
    Clearly Feliz doesn't give a rip when it's not a save situation. He has been pretty good in save situations, but not at all in non-save spots. Hopefully he can get on a good run and maybe can see if the Tigers need another closer since we traded K-Rod there and he can't do nothing lol

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    687
    Wow, if the Brewers had any kind of pitching this team could be really dangerous.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcs Papa View Post
    Wow, if the Brewers had any kind of pitching this team could be really dangerous.
    OMG what a game today. One of the best games in recent memory. What a comeback. This team's starting rotation is just plain bad for the most part but this team's offense has been phenomenal even without Villar - the team's leadoff hitter - hitting well much of the year. This offense is just plain fun to watch.

    Wily needs to be in the pen. I think he could be a pretty good reliever but after the first time through the order he gets destroyed. I think that happens when Guerra returns.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,584
    Peralta looked awesome in the pen, the other day. We could use him back there because there aren't reliable are in the pen outside of Knebel and Torres at this point.

    I wonder if there will be a mlb investigation on Brewer complaint on the cancellation of Saturday's game, it didn't rain in Chicago at 1. I've never heard of a rain postponement when it hasn't rained. This seems like some BS to me and I still haven't read a reason why the game was truly cancelled.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Schofield, WI
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    Peralta looked awesome in the pen, the other day. We could use him back there because there aren't reliable are in the pen outside of Knebel and Torres at this point.

    I wonder if there will be a mlb investigation on Brewer complaint on the cancellation of Saturday's game, it didn't rain in Chicago at 1. I've never heard of a rain postponement when it hasn't rained. This seems like some BS to me and I still haven't read a reason why the game was truly cancelled.
    Peralta never really got it as a starter as far as not tiring yourself out but having enough stuff to go through the order the first time without maximum effort. He has the stuff to be very effective in a 2-inning setting. Just coming in throwing 98-99 with a slider. The Brewers really need to find some effective starting pitching whether through improvement of Nelson, Davies or bringing someone up. Garza has been a pleasant surprise thus far. Anderson seems to have had his good stretch.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,754
    To me, Nelson probably isn't a major candidate to improve much. Some of his underlying stats, like FIP, strand rate and BABIP suggest there's room for some pretty small luck improvements, (perhaps dropping his current era from 3.86 into the 3.7s or something). But his underlying stats aren't indicating any major potential improvements.

    His walk rate this year has dropped, while his K rate has increased this year, which is obvisouly an encouraging sign. But just from the eye test and knowing his stuff, I'm not sure we can ever expect jimmy to be more than he currently is. He's probably a guy who at his best can be counted on to eat some innings as a 4th starter and provide a 4 or slightly under era. Unless his changeuo really develops, which he's thrown a few more times this year according to pitch fx on fangraphs, he's probably destined to be a 4.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,754
    Garza got tagged some today. I think our offense will be relatively legit all season, and I think we can finish as a top 10 or so offense. Problem is I think our lack of pitching may start rearing its ugly head a little more here in the next few weeks. If Guerra can come back as he was last year, that should help a ton and hopefully Davies gets it figured out, but we need pitching pretty bad. We have some decent arms in the system but they are all far from a lock n being an ace or even a #2.

    Good news is we have a ton of positional depth that maybe we can swing for a young, somewhat controllable pitcher yet. I've read articles about guys like cole and maybe some of the guys from Tampa potentially being made available, but I'm sure they'll cost a ton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •