Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Derek Jeter group wins auction to buy Marlins

Yankees legend Derek Jeter and former Florida governor Jeb Bush are both working to put together bidding groups to make a run at buying the Marlins, according to a report from Charlie Gasparino and Brian Schwartz of FOX Business. There is at least one other rival bidding group, per the report.

Jeter has already launched the popular Player’s Tribune website since hanging up his spikes, but could now seemingly embark upon another major business undertaking in advance of his likely Hall-of-Fame enshrinement in 2019. The former shortstop is said to be working with an investment banker who was previously affiliated with Morgan Stanley, though it’s not clear whether that firm is involved.

Meanwhile, Bush has lined up with Citigroup to weigh a proposal to take over the team from Jeffrey Loria, who is reportedly preparing to cash in on the organization at some point in the near future. And there’s a third known group as well; though it has no known headlining names, it’s said to have the backing of financial powerhouse Goldman Sachs.

Loria bought the team back in 2002 at a $158MM price tag. This time around, it figures to be worth quite a bit more, with some reports pegging the likely open-market value in the range of $1.4B to $1.7B. Whether or not it actually lands in that range remains to be seen, but Loria is positioned to cash in on both the publicly financed Marlins Park and the success of MLB Advanced Media — an entity that is co-owned by all thirty teams and has expanded its portfolio beyond the baseball realm.
    - Jeff Todd, MLBTR

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...&post-id=89449
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

neat

Gotta love a team that has 2 WS championships, but 0 division titles in their first 24 seasons of existence.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

I don't think anyone cares much about division titles when it's all said and done....

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

And they eliminated the Giants in the first round in both of those years.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Man 1.5 Billion to by the Marlins? That seems insane to me

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I don't think anyone cares much about division titles when it's all said and done....
    Exactly, then makes a statement about the Giants ...lol... Dodgers keep spending and still can't get it right

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Not really , if you look at what other teams are probably getting... Plus Jeter , just putting his name on it helps I'm sure .

Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    And they eliminated the Giants in the first round in both of those years.
    And the Dodgers haven't hosted the all-star game or won a pennant since the Marlins' inception.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Derek Jeter, Jeb Bush Pursuing Potential Marlins Ownership

Never thought I would ever see Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush's name in a sentence together
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé

Derek Jeter, Jeb Bush Pursuing Potential Marlins Ownership

We need more low energy jeb
    Smart Person List: BRAVE KID, Beldugo, flea, Jeffy25

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Never thought I would ever see Derek Jeter and Jeb Bush's name in a sentence together
    The title of the thread could be a little clearer, I read it as pursuing together, might be my reading skills, but I have an excuse, I learned to read in the middle of the LAST century; before there was a Jeb, a Derek or a Marlins team

Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    It is because of the stadium.

Now Bush and Jeter have teamed up to buy them. Crossing fingers that Loria and his pet midget will finally be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by heat3X View Post
    It is because of the stadium.
    Loria still owes some money for it.

But they have a low payroll. But their TV deal also sucks.

I dunno, that seems like a massive over valuation for the club compared to others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast