Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    This guy?

Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by axstone26 View Post
    I think Pat Burrell or Pedro Feliz (maybe not as proficient defensively as Feliz) is an excellent comp for Franco in terms of skill...
    CoreySeiderman has to be trolling me, this is nuts!

@CoreySeidmanCSN can we build around Maikel Franco, or should Manny Machado be priority number one?

CoreySeidmanCSN's response yesterday: Franco can be an organizational building block but I don't see him as a player you can build an offense around. To this point, he's basically been Pedro Feliz with slightly more power and slightly worse defense.

Maybe he proves me wrong, but to me, Franco is more of a No. 6 hitter on an NL contender than "The Guy."

Pedro Feliz wasn't given a full season until he was 29 years old and was a below average hitter who would hit 20 homers a year with good defense.

I'd agree right now that Franco isn't much to build around but this is his age 24 season in which he's slightly increasing his BB% and decreasing his K%. His line drive % is up and his soft contact is down but he has an incredibly low BABIP. He's increasingly unlucky this season. He's swinging at less pitches outside the zone, more inside the zone but he's seeing a lot less pitches inside the strike zone.

He does need to start hitting more fly balls than ground balls though. He's not too far off, in total, to the 2015 Franco we saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Right. The point has never been that Maikel Franco is a star right now. It's that he shows the traits of a late bloomer like Edwin Encarnacion. The club can either be patient and focus on fixing other spots or they can opt to let somebody else reap the benefits. There's nothing wrong with the latter approach. I'm sure the Reds weren't too pissed that they didn't wait six years for Encarnacion to figure it out.

I'd rather see them spend their war chest on Harper than Machado, but that's just me.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

I think Harper in philly would be amazing.
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

I think Machado is a more premium though. I just think Harper's body will be that of a Griffey or Sizemore. Oft-injured. I like the versatility of Machado better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I'll take Machado as well.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Franco is a wild swinger. He lacks plate discipline. Another guy that needs to go is Herrera. His lack of hustle shows that he isn't a winner.

If they ended up with Harper or Machado it would be a win. I really don't care which one it is.

Doobie probably didn't run that DP ball out because of a minor injury he either isn't disclosing or isn't enough to sideline him. Players play through grade 1 strains all the time and one of the easiest ways to tell is their effort on near-automatic outs. I don't care if he walks to first base if it keeps him in the lineup.

Just because I really am this much of an MF hater...

Can Tommy Joseph play third?
    Last edited by axstone26; 05-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.

No, but Kendrick can play first base and Joseph can go back to the Iron Pigs.

Joseph has been hitting
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

I'm really not worried about where Kendrick will play when he get back since he's so versitile. He can play LF or RF when someone needs a rest (shift Altherr to CF if Doobie needs a break). He can also play 2nd or 1st when Cesar/Joseph need a rest. He can also play the majority of the games in RF if Saunders doesn't hit.

Just hoping Kendrick can pick it up where he left off when he got hurt. He could be traded at the deadline with Hellickson and Saunders (if he picks it up).

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast