Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Improving is always a possibility for any player but I don't think there is a high enough percentage chance of upside to continue playing him at 1st and delay Hoskins future. I'd rather see what I believe is a much better prospect in Hoskins play rather than wait a few years for Joseph to maybe improve. If you want to wait until 2018, I'm ok with that, give Hoskins a full season at AAA. If Hoskins isn't starting at 1st early next year though fans (myself included) will be pissed (unless there is a JP Crawford type struggle from Hoskins here on out).

I know Pete Mackanin has said otherwise, but they can co-exist on the same roster. Just do a 75/25 platoon with the other as the top pinch hitter. That does mean the club can't hold any other bat-only bench players.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I know Pete Mackanin has said otherwise, but they can co-exist on the same roster. Just do a 75/25 platoon with the other as the top pinch hitter. That does mean the club can't hold any other bat-only bench players.
    I think that's an absolute waste. We're not talking a Ryan Howard/Darin Ruf type situation, we're talking about a more Howard/Thome situation. Now obviously I'm not saying either TJ or Hoskins will be either of those guys but both are more potential to be long term 1B (Thome/Howard) than they are to be bench bats (Ruf). I just don't see how splitting them is maximizing anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Also getting less and less fond of Mackanin so I'll take his words lightly.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I think that's an absolute waste. We're not talking a Ryan Howard/Darin Ruf type situation, we're talking about a more Howard/Thome situation. Now obviously I'm not saying either TJ or Hoskins will be either of those guys but both are more potential to be long term 1B (Thome/Howard) than they are to be bench bats (Ruf). I just don't see how splitting them is maximizing anything.
    I think you're underestimating the value of keeping a good but not great guy fresh. Bumps his production up a good 20%. There isn't a market out there for Tommy Joseph. He's a -0.2 WAR 1B so far this season. But there's also no point just discarding him.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    I think you're underestimating the value of keeping a good but not great guy fresh. Bumps his production up a good 20%. There isn't a market out there for Tommy Joseph. He's a -0.2 WAR 1B so far this season. But there's also no point just discarding him.
    Let's saying Hoskins is the guy getting the 75% playing time at 1B. Let's also assume 650 ABs for full season (averaging 4 ABs ever game)

So are you suggesting Hoskins will be better playing 80% (another 5% including pinch hitting) assuming perfect health? That's 520 ABs in a season with perfect health. That's not terrible but I can't assume he'll reach that mark with only playing 75% at first.

Plus then a guy who you said could improve because of his limited development is going to be valuable playing 30% of the time?

I could see it maybe working for Hoskins (Actually I could see it definitely working for him) but I think you're basically discarding Joseph. We also don't have to trade Joseph right now, maybe the off-season. I just don't see them getting more value than they would now with him only getting 195 or so ABs.

Yes, you have to prioritize one over the other, but you can't assume perfect health. Plenty of baseball's stars were in a similar boat - they only got a full time opportunity by grinding until the door opened. Justin Turner and Charlie Blackmon are just a couple examples. They were backup quality guys and then, suddenly, they were starters. And they got that opportunity because somebody else was hurt. Joseph probably won't improve while backing up Hoskins, but he could improve while starting in place of an injured Hoskins (or vice versa). And sometimes, not playing gives a player the space he needs to figure some things out.

Why take another guy who throws 95mph with no command (about the best you can get for Joseph) when you can have some actual roster redundancy instead. Hoskins is well on his way to supplanting Joseph, but that doesn't mean they can't co-exist in the same org.
    Last edited by The A Team; 07-19-2017 at 02:28 PM.

If your giving Hoskins the play time he deserves and there is no market for Tommy Joseph, I'm ok with keeping him. I just don't want them holding back Hoskins because of Tommy Joseph, who I feel has a very low chance of becoming a great 1st baseman. If Hoskins is smashing and getting 80-90% of the AB's I'll be happy.

I agree with that. If you can't get anything for him, I do understand but doesn't mean you're going to maximize his value.

For every Blackmon and Turner there are Galvis' and Darin Ruf's.

He should at least be dangled out there. Limit his at bats for Hoskins but I just feel you'll lose what you could've gotten and showcased him a little better. I don't think holding Hoskins back anylonger is a good idea.

Nick Williams' swing is pretty, it kind of reminds me of Griffey Jr.'s swing.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

I think most fans still have major concerns long term with Williams approach but its certainly nice to see him performing well in his small sample size.

From what I heard from Kruk is that pitchers were making adjustments and he stroke out 5 time in a row, and he made adjustments himself and he is back in a groove.

It could be BS and pitchers might make some other adjustments but I like it.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314