Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    How much is Morgan's increased velocity due to him pitching in relief rather than starting?

Would you trust that he will keep that going back to starting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's always a little tough to gauge. Sometimes the velocity holds when returning to the rotation (Alex Wood earlier this year) and sometimes it doesn't. To find out, you have to give it a try.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by philsphan123 View Post
    Remember when Rhys went 0-12 to start? Yeah neither do I lol. Quickest to 10 homers in mlb history!
    They were just practice swings philsphan haha

He looked lost though those first few abs
    2011 PSD Phillies Forum HOF Inductee

Harry, I grew up with the phillies and learned the game by your voice. You will always be missed but never forgotten. Though you are no longer with us, you'll never be "outta here" in our hearts!

His first 2 abs when I saw him in SF he looked terrible, but he ended up hitting a bomb in his last ab

Rhys Hoskins is my new favorite Phillies' player! What is there NOT to like about him. From the plate discipline to his candid interviews and mannerism, I realized its only a small sample, but Rhys Hoskins is a budding star for this team. Hoskins, Nick Williams, hopefully Crawford and Kingery both, can be the building foundation for this organization next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe1016 View Post
    Rhys Hoskins is my new favorite Phillies' player! What is there NOT to like about him. From the plate discipline to his candid interviews and mannerism, I realized its only a small sample, but Rhys Hoskins is a budding star for this team. Hoskins, Nick Williams, hopefully Crawford and Kingery both, can be the building foundation for this organization next season.
    Thank you RAJ! All on his watch.

Quote Originally Posted by axstone26 View Post
    Thank you RAJ! All on his watch.
    And now his watch has ended (sorry couldn’t resist).

Phillies getting a look at Juan Nicasio and Kevin Siegrist prior to the offseason. Seems they have their eye on some bullpen upgrades.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Every improvement is welcomed, the BP must be tired AF.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

Along with the developments of Neris, Morgan, Milner and Leither (in the bullpen) and the acquisitions of Nicasio (FA in 2018) and Siegrist (under team control) it looks like the Phillies have made moves that should significantly upgrade their bullpen for 2018, assuming they resign Nicasio.

It looks like the offense should be better at getting on base next year and hopefully this translates into more than their current pace of 4 runs per game.

Assuming the Phillies are successful in reaching deals with Machado and Harper for $35m/year (unlikely but for salary cap purposes lets assume they do) that's $70M per year (starting in 2019), assume ~$30M for existing players (the next three years) and sign Tyler Chatwood (3 years $45M) , why not offer Yu Darvish and/or Arrieta 3 year $100M deals and see if you can get them to sign for more $/year, less years and start contending next year?

Would Darvish and/or Arrieta consider this type of transaction? Given Arrieta's struggles this year and now hamstring injury (he's older so will break down more), is this even worth considering? There's not much the Phillies can do for next year but they are rolling in $$$ and it sounds like Middleton wants to spend. The Phillies won't get the value they pay for Darvish and Arrieta but is it worth the risk of getting both on inflated salaries given the Phillies won't have much else on their payroll and even with Machado and Harper (unlikely to sign both) they still wouldn't be near the luxury tax.

I don't know if I want them to take this approach, just thinking about it. I do know I don't want them to sign either for more than 3 years. I can't see either being much better than replacement level that 3rd year and don't want to be stuck with the $$ in years 4 and 5 when the Phillies will finally be contending and able to buy whoever the top FA talent is that year.
    Last edited by axstone26; 09-05-2017 at 12:10 PM.

There's no scenario where Arrieta or Darvish are available for 3 years or fewer. Unless one of them seriously injures himself between now and the end of the season. If you want a 3 year deal, you'll need to look at the Marco Estrada tier of pitchers.

On the plus side, Chatwood should cost considerably less than 3/45.

I wouldn't expect too much to happen via free agency aside from some SP/RP depth. And possibly a Machado or Harper. You're right that getting both seems unlikely when as many as 10 teams will be fielding competitive bids. Star players will either be developed or acquired via trade once the roster is overflowing. The Astros are a good example (i.e. Verlander).

While the club can obviously spend a lot more money - they're still one of if not the most profitable team in baseball - it's actually hard to do so in a sensible way. Even what they did this year was hugely wasteful.
    Last edited by The A Team; 09-05-2017 at 06:30 PM.

The Phillies have the potential to have an MLB average offense, top 10 defense and bullpen and league worst starting rotation next year. I think they find a way to shore up the rotation to be MLB average and the Phillies are a couple games over .500 next year, I feel like next year is 2006 all over again (not comparable in any major facet but the trade of Abreu in 2006 was the start of something special and I don't know what the kick off to this next great run will be, but I'm confident that it will either happen next year or it already has with the promotion of Hoskins).

I don't think you'll find anyone that says they don't need to address starting pitching, it just might be difficult with the market. If you go the FA route, you'll either have to overpay (in years and dollars) for an ace like Darvish/Arrieta or get a middle of the rotation type pitcher who will help but has very little chance of pushing you over the top. I'll say it again though, they have solid resources in the minors to get a solid #2 via a trade. If they see this team as being close to a WC spot they might go that route.

Crawford playing 3B for the third time... I'm ecstatic but still shocked that they had the guts to do the right thing.

The right thing is Crawford at SS and Galvis in LF.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast