Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by axstone26 View Post
    As I've been saying, Franco is not the future. The Phillies see it, why does everyone defend Franco as the next Encarnacion (you know the guy whose been primarily a DH since he "figured it out" in 2012 and the NL doesn't have a DH right. Which is BS).

Maikel Fatco is not the next Encarnacion, let's see what the kid can do, his defense has to be better.
    I love how all you're doing is talking in absolutes like you know anymore than we do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by axstone26 View Post
    I hope Kingery is the next Utley. I'm not down on Hernandez, I just want someone who plays with a little moxi on this team, someone who says "get me to the plate boys" or plays with an intensity that says we aren't going to get beat today. I think the Phillies have a bright future but they need that fiercely competitive home grown guy. I believe there is more to the game than what can be quantified statistically. Statistics have their purpose but they also overrate a Jason Heyward and under value a Ryan Howard (pre-achilles injury).
    And raw stats overvalue players like Ryan Howard.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Franco could very well be who he is now but to completely write him off is short sided and dumb WHEN he has four more years of cheap-ish control. He's a talented player who should be given more opportunities than not. Look at a guy like Profar down in Texas. He's been given a huge leash because of his age, his control, and the fact that he's coming back from injury set backs. Maybe Franco should be treated like that though, give him less ABs and don't give him 1B/3B, he has to earn it. But none of this "He is who he is, get rid of him" You have nothing to gain by doing that, you have more to gain by riding him out. This isn't a playoff team with a Franco is the weak link. This is a team trying to be relevant so you give players like Franco a little more time. His time is running short but he still has some.

It's not like if we have a ton of choices, perhaps we should have drafted Denzel.

EDIT: Senzel, I'm sorry I think I love Denzel Washington too much and my mind just writes up his name.
    Last edited by papirico52; 08-21-2017 at 02:38 PM.

The horse is dead Ax. You've given up on Franco, we get it. I'm sure the Phillies will be happy to replace him when they're forced to make a move. It could be Crawford, although they'd probably only do that if Galvis was extended. Otherwise, they're better off long term moving Galvis to third once Crawford forces his way onto the roster. And is Galvis a better 3B than Franco? Not enough to matter.

My expectation is that they want to see Crawford mash in Triple-A next April before promoting him. An injury to Galvis/Franco is probably the only way he finds his way onto the active roster this year. It's kind of senseless to burn up a season of club control just to watch him play a handful of meaningless games this September. He can be owned through his age 29 season if they manipulate his service clock. He does need to be placed on the 40-man this winter which works in favor of a call up.

Fun with small samples - JPC is slashing .298./.390/.555 since June 10.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

As odd as it may sound, if the NL had a DH I wouldn't be as down on Franco. Any chance of that happening in the next few years?

I don't want a DH, it takes a bit of thinking from the game, IMO, heck I think the AL shouldn't have a DH.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

In my opinion, they should make the DH optional The home manager announces it either a couple hours beforehand or right before lineups are exchanged. That way, if you employ a Bumgarner/Otani or if an Ortiz is visiting you, there's an actual home field advantage.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Also, it is odd that you'd be less down on Franco in a DH scenario. He's currently better at defense than hitting.

But he would be getting chances to improves his hitting while not harming us with bad D, I could see it working out, albeit TJ would be a better option as a DH.

Authentic Phillies, Eagles , Sixers fan
    - I love Ray Lewis.

"Do not scorn a weak cub, he may become a brutal tiger"

I've wanted a DH in the NL since Thome/Howard days.

No DH in the NL. Let the AL have it, always been on the pro side of pitchers batting.

I'd rather see pitchers hit too, but I like the added team building strategy involved with my suggestion.

So that Rhys Hoskins.

Anybody can look good over 60 PA - and I do mean anybody - but Hoskins looks pretty damned legit. At the very least, he should be a fantasy monster even if the real world value is in the 3 WAR range. He's on nearly a 9 WAR pace over a full 650 PA season fwiw. Obviously the power will regress, but so too will the .188 BABIP.

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast