Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    R.I.P Daulton.

Dead at 53 because of cancer.

My favorite catcher.

Random thought.. could JP Crawford play 3rd? If Kingery is truly a power hitter than maybe you don't need power from your third baseman, maybe Crawford's .350 OBP and solid defense will be more of what the Phillies need and you wouldn't have to trade a top prospect whose shown great plate discipline or a gold glove shortstop in Galvis.

The following lineup has the potential to have a great balance of L/R and mix of OBP and SLG%, they may not average 5.5 runs a game but it wouldn't be feast or famine, you could consistently expect 3 runs out of this lineup:

Crawford
    Altherr
    Herrera
    Hoskins
    Williams
    Kingery
    Galvis
    Knapp/Alfaro
    P

Franco kills every lineup because he has horrible plate discipline, a horrible OBP, below average SLG% (not to mention a negative dWar).
    Last edited by axstone26; 08-15-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by axstone26 View Post
    Random thought.. could JP Crawford play 3rd? If Kingery is truly a power hitter than maybe you don't need power from your third baseman, maybe Crawford's .350 OBP and solid defense will be more of what the Phillies need and you wouldn't have to trade a top prospect whose shown great plate discipline or a gold glove shortstop in Galvis.

The following lineup has the potential to have a great balance of L/R and mix of OBP and SLG%, they may not average 5.5 runs a game but it wouldn't be feast or famine, you could consistently expect 3 runs out of this lineup:

Crawford
    Altherr
    Herrera
    Hoskins
    Williams
    Kingery
    Galvis
    Knapp/Alfaro
    P

Franco kills every lineup because he has horrible plate discipline, a horrible OBP, below average SLG% (not to mention a negative dWar).
    I'd still rather go after Machado and have him man 3rd in this scenario.

Franco is such a freaking enigma, his BB% isn't great but isn't horrible, his K% is low enough, his BABIP is incredibly low too. Outside his BABIP, everything else is in line with his 2015 season. He'd be about a 3.5 WAR 3B even with his poor def if he was the 2015 Franco which would put him just outside the top 10 3B in the MLB, comfortably above the 15th best, around that 11-13 area.

And he actually has a lot better plate discipline than he had in 2015. He's swinging at fewer balls outside the zone however he is making contact with those types of balls more.

I just don't know about Franco. The dude will just be turning 25 in a few days though. He's younger than Altherr, Joseph, Herrera, hernandez, knapp, galvis, and less than 2 years older than Hoskins, Kingery, Williams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Gotta be patient with him. If only to maximize trade value. He's going to be a good player someday if he stays healthy.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Follow me on Twitter for article updates @baseballATeam

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Gotta be patient with him. If only to maximize trade value. He's going to be a good player someday if he stays healthy.
    Can you explain why his BABIP is so low? I'll admit I don't full understand all the other numbers with hit balls and plate approach, but just looking at them they aren't much different at all outside the BABIP.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Too many infield flies, pulled ground balls, and not enough hard contact. Basically, the infield flies are strikeouts and the pulled grounders are 90% outs because he doesn't hit them hard. This is going to sound weird, but I'm pretty sure the issue is that he doesn't strike out enough. Or more specifically, he should be swinging through more pitches. Not that he has a low swinging strike rate.
    Now writing for FanGraphs, RotoGraphs, The Hardball Times, and The Fake Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by The A Team View Post
    Too many infield flies, pulled ground balls, and not enough hard contact. Basically, the infield flies are strikeouts and the pulled grounders are 90% outs because he doesn't hit them hard. This is going to sound weird, but I'm pretty sure the issue is that he doesn't strike out enough. Or more specifically, he should be swinging through more pitches. Not that he has a low swinging strike rate.
    So essentially he should be swinging more?

No. He should be swinging less carefully. To cut down on strikeouts, he's taking de-optimized swings.

It's his third full year in the league, 25 or not, he is what he is (horrible defender, chicks dig the long ball fool only interested in money), time to move on. Hinkie would have recognized he's MCW, trade him.
    Last edited by axstone26; 08-17-2017 at 09:06 AM.

It's his third full year in the league, 25 or not, he is what he is (horrible defender, chicks dig the long ball fool only interested in money), time to move on. Hinkie would have recognized he's MCW, trade him.
    How can you be 100% confident in this?

In his last full season in the minors, his first full season in AAA (2014), he had 16 HRs in 521 ABs, batted .247 with an OBP of .299 and a SLG of .428, his MLB 162 Game Avg. is 25 HR's, .247 BA, .300 OBP and .422 SLG from 2015-17.

There is no point in giving him away this off-season or selling low (high?) on him because the Phillies don't have a legitimate replacement. I realize he will be the 3B next year and the Phillies will be forced to over pay for Machado the following off-season or move another position player to 3B. If everyone is convinced Tommy Joseph is what he is, why isn't the same said for Maikel Franco, they are the same age and have identical stats and metrics.

I'm just countering anything anyone has to say in Franco's defense, he's a below average MLB player and has shown nothing to disprove this. You can dig down into stats, you can talk about approach at the plate, you can talk about scouting, in every aspect of this guy's game he's below average when you dissect it from every angle. There is no justifiable argument that he will be an average player let alone a key piece to a championship team.
    Last edited by axstone26; 08-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.

In his last full season in the minors, his first full season in AAA (2014), he had 16 HRs in 521 ABs, batted .247 with and OBP of .299 and a SLG of .428, his MLB 162 Game Avg. is 25 HR's, .247 BA, .300 OBP and .422 SLG from 2015-17.

There is no point in giving him away this off-season or selling low (high?) on him because the Phillies don't have a legitimate replacement. I realize he will be the 3B next year and the Phillies will be forced to over pay for Machado the following off-season or move another position player to 3B.

I'm just countering anything anyone has to say in Franco's defense, he's a below average MLB player and has shown nothing to disprove this. You can dig down into stats, you can talk about approach at the plate, you can talk about scouting, in every aspect of this guy's game he's below average when you dissect it from every angle. There is no justifiable argument that he will be an average player let alone a key piece to a championship team.
    How can you list reasons as to why we're justifying why or at least possibly why he's performing the way he is and then you go and say the bold? Those are justifiable reasons as to why. Just because you choose to ignore or discredit them doesn't make them any less justifiable.

He very well may be who he is, but as Ateam had said before, you have a guy like Edwin Encarnacion who was seen in a similar light as Franco and it took him until later in his career (His age 29 season) to show he was better than he was. It's not out of the realm of possibilities for a 25 year old to become better. Franco's not some 29 year old player that we are still holding out hope for, he's a 25 year old who had some injury issues and had minor league stats to back up that he could be better than he is. You point out his 2014 minor league stats but what about his 2013 minor league stats or his 2015 major league stats? He's never going to be a walk machine, but his major league BB% is better than his minor league walk rate. He has 4 years left of reasonable control, no reason to sell low on him.

I doubt the Phillies want to wait four more years for Franco to figure it out.
    Last edited by axstone26; 08-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.

The thing about baseball is that adjustments can happen spontaneously at any moment. I bet you were pretty much out on Odubel Herrera earlier this year, right? Then he morphed into a top 5 player in the league for a stretch. Now he's back on pace for his third straight 4 win season. Franco doesn't have the baseline of Herrera, but he does have very positive peripherals. I'm going to keep pointing at Edwin Encarnacion - they're very similar.

I doubt the Phillies want to wait four more years for Franco to figure it out.
    Maybe they won't wait 4 years for him to be the piece they thought he'd be, but there's no reason to say "Welp, he's not what we thought, let's dump him." They can still hold onto him, see if he develops while not building around him or necessarily factor him into their future. If a team comes around and offers a lot for him, they'd probably give him up. That's just not going to happen though.

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast