Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lopez and Lin both turn 29 this calendar year. They're not geezers yet, and Brook plays in a way that he should "age well" as they like to say. With next year being the last of the Celtics trade debacle they aren't going to just get rid of their two best players before next season.
    It seems like the Nets are all in on KCP. I'd prefer Otto Porter because it would keep Levert at the two which seems to be his natural fit. But if they get one of the two you would have to call it a huge success.
    Aside from Lopez and Lin no one on the team is getting paid anything. I think Marks makes at least one trade if not two or three with all these guys on cheap contracts. My hope is he dumps Kilpatrick on someone while he still has value. I've had enough watching him play hero ball and chucking up shots the second he comes in.
    Nicholson might be a trade chip to use for a team looking to dump a contract. He still has about 20 million left on his deal over the next three years, but that's a lot less than, say, Allen Crabbe, or Kent Bazemore, both of whom signed huge deals.
    If Marks doesn't draft or sign a single player this off season he can still get an A grade from me just by not bringing back Randy Foye. I'm sure he's a nice guy and the other players love him. It was great seeing him hit that game winner against Charlotte. But he is the opposite of what I want to see in the starting lineup and in the rotation- Old and Not Good.
    I was surprised to see Goodwin get a guaranteed deal. I don't see a huge role for him with Lin and Dinwiddie getting the lions share of minutes at the point and Whitehead filling in if either gets injured.
    I was pleasantly surprised with Hamilton early in the season but man did he have issues after a couple weeks. If he has a role it's third string.
    I like KJ McDaniels as the backup 3. Solid defense, has an outside shot, and will give you a nice dunk or two every week just to make sure you're paying attention.
    Other teams fans and media members are going to keep cracking jokes about the Nets. It's going to happen at the lottery. It's going to happen at the draft. But the Nets made a lot of strides towards becoming a relevant team again this past year even if other people choose not to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by NJDrew2 View Post
    Lopez and Lin both turn 29 this calendar year. They're not geezers yet, and Brook plays in a way that he should "age well" as they like to say. With next year being the last of the Celtics trade debacle they aren't going to just get rid of their two best players before next season.
    It seems like the Nets are all in on KCP. I'd prefer Otto Porter because it would keep Levert at the two which seems to be his natural fit. But if they get one of the two you would have to call it a huge success.
    Aside from Lopez and Lin no one on the team is getting paid anything. I think Marks makes at least one trade if not two or three with all these guys on cheap contracts. My hope is he dumps Kilpatrick on someone while he still has value. I've had enough watching him play hero ball and chucking up shots the second he comes in.
    Nicholson might be a trade chip to use for a team looking to dump a contract. He still has about 20 million left on his deal over the next three years, but that's a lot less than, say, Allen Crabbe, or Kent Bazemore, both of whom signed huge deals.
    If Marks doesn't draft or sign a single player this off season he can still get an A grade from me just by not bringing back Randy Foye. I'm sure he's a nice guy and the other players love him. It was great seeing him hit that game winner against Charlotte. But he is the opposite of what I want to see in the starting lineup and in the rotation- Old and Not Good.
    I was surprised to see Goodwin get a guaranteed deal. I don't see a huge role for him with Lin and Dinwiddie getting the lions share of minutes at the point and Whitehead filling in if either gets injured.
    I was pleasantly surprised with Hamilton early in the season but man did he have issues after a couple weeks. If he has a role it's third string.
    I like KJ McDaniels as the backup 3. Solid defense, has an outside shot, and will give you a nice dunk or two every week just to make sure you're paying attention.
    Other teams fans and media members are going to keep cracking jokes about the Nets. It's going to happen at the lottery. It's going to happen at the draft. But the Nets made a lot of strides towards becoming a relevant team again this past year even if other people choose not to see it.
    Very well said. Excellent write up.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

You guys are becoming blind. We can only have 15 players on our roster and can only dress 13 so there's gonna be a lot of players 3-4 guys cut that you guys are gonna have a tough time seeing go. If you want to talk about big picture for this team, Lopez and Lin are simple stop gaps because this team isn't competing at a high level in 2-3 years. If you want to talk about next year's roster, you are gonna see some "tough cuts". The best way to explain this and how I do with my brother is you have to ask yourself "Whose jersey can you buy and invest in and can wear for a long period(4 years) and that person on the back be relevant".

Unfortunately my teams have gone through some rough rebuilds where people got upset seeing certain people go. If we had a SF via FA, our 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick and the Euro PG. Which is very very reasonable this offseason and the most likely scenario.

Lin/Milos/Whitehead/Dinwiddie
    LeVert/Goodwin/Kilpatrick
    FA SF/ McDaniels/Joe Harris
    RHJ/Booker/Acy
    Brook/Nicholson/Hamilton

Plus 3 incoming players in the draft. We cannot keep everyone so 4 guys will have to go just to reach 15. Also 2 guys will not be dressed for the active roster.

Now Whitehead, Lin and LeVert were looked at as untouchables at the deadline so I would have to assume those 3 are safe for next year.

4 guys that go are :
    1) Kilpatrick - 29 years old next year and is really just a chucker plus only has one year left on his deal.

2) 2nd round pick that is incoming- Probably goes to the D League because there's no point to bring him in the fold to sit at the end of the bench.

3) Nicholson - Potential buy-out here. The guy never sees the floor and was forced to us to get a draft pick and hasn't made a name of himself like McDaniels has.

4) Dinwiddie - We already have Whitehead, Lin, and potentially Milos so he would be the odd man out. Whitehead has a much higher ceiling than Dinwiddie. Most of Dinwiddies production is the fact of getting a lot of minutes on a bad to below average team. Probably goes to the D League.

Players that sit but still on active roster

Hamilton and Harris

These guys both have 2 to 1 years left on their deals respectively. Their deals will likely burn out being our Dressed Reserves.

(Nicholson and Harris may be interchangable because it would be easier to buy out Harris than Nicholson, Being that Harris only has one year left one year left on the deal)

Our roster for next year will realistically looks like this for next season.

SF being KCP, Otto, or Bojan(he wants to come back and I'm praying he doesn't)

Lin/Milos/Whitehead
    LeVert/Goodwin
    SF/McDaniels
    RHJ/Acy
    Brook/Booker

Without our incoming 2 first round draft picks. I would be assuming we would draft a true Power Forward perhaps the likes of Jordan Bell and we would also want a Center for the future perhaps the likes of Caleb Swanigan.

With our this roster is building...Do not be surprised, like someone has said, of us dumping a lot of players for 1 or 2 back with all this flexibility we have. Lopez will also be on an expiring next year so I truly believe that he could be a name being moved because I don't see us resigning him. Lin is here to stay as a stop gap. I never said he has to go.

Quote Originally Posted by RaJAxTWa View Post
    You guys are becoming blind. We can only have 15 players on our roster and can only dress 13 so there's gonna be a lot of players 3-4 guys cut that you guys are gonna have a tough time seeing go. If you want to talk about big picture for this team, Lopez and Lin are simple stop gaps because this team isn't competing at a high level in 2-3 years. If you want to talk about next year's roster, you are gonna see some "tough cuts". The best way to explain this and how I do with my brother is you have to ask yourself "Whose jersey can you buy and invest in and can wear for a long period(4 years) and that person on the back be relevant".

Unfortunately my teams have gone through some rough rebuilds where people got upset seeing certain people go. If we had a SF via FA, our 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick and the Euro PG. Which is very very reasonable this offseason and the most likely scenario.

Lin/Milos/Whitehead/Dinwiddie
    LeVert/Goodwin/Kilpatrick
    FA SF/ McDaniels/Joe Harris
    RHJ/Booker/Acy
    Brook/Nicholson/Hamilton

Plus 3 incoming players in the draft. We cannot keep everyone so 4 guys will have to go just to reach 15. Also 2 guys will not be dressed for the active roster.

Now Whitehead, Lin and LeVert were looked at as untouchables at the deadline so I would have to assume those 3 are safe for next year.

4 guys that go are :
    1) Kilpatrick - 29 years old next year and is really just a chucker plus only has one year left on his deal.

2) 2nd round pick that is incoming- Probably goes to the D League because there's no point to bring him in the fold to sit at the end of the bench.

3) Nicholson - Potential buy-out here. The guy never sees the floor and was forced to us to get a draft pick and hasn't made a name of himself like McDaniels has.

4) Dinwiddie - We already have Whitehead, Lin, and potentially Milos so he would be the odd man out. Whitehead has a much higher ceiling than Dinwiddie. Most of Dinwiddies production is the fact of getting a lot of minutes on a bad to below average team. Probably goes to the D League.

Players that sit but still on active roster

Hamilton and Harris

These guys both have 2 to 1 years left on their deals respectively. Their deals will likely burn out being our Dressed Reserves.

(Nicholson and Harris may be interchangable because it would be easier to buy out Harris than Nicholson, Being that Harris only has one year left one year left on the deal)

Our roster for next year will realistically looks like this for next season.

SF being KCP, Otto, or Bojan(he wants to come back and I'm praying he doesn't)

Lin/Milos/Whitehead
    LeVert/Goodwin
    SF/McDaniels
    RHJ/Acy
    Brook/Booker

Without our incoming 2 first round draft picks. I would be assuming we would draft a true Power Forward perhaps the likes of Jordan Bell and we would also want a Center for the future perhaps the likes of Caleb Swanigan.

With our this roster is building...Do not be surprised, like someone has said, of us dumping a lot of players for 1 or 2 back with all this flexibility we have. Lopez will also be on an expiring next year so I truly believe that he could be a name being moved because I don't see us resigning him. Lin is here to stay as a stop gap. I never said he has to go.
    I believe we are pretty set at the 1, 2, & 3.

1) Lin, SD and Archie

2) Whitehead, Kilpatrick and LeVert

3) Levert, McDaniels, Harris, RHJ

LeVert can play the 1, 2 or 3. Whitehead can play the one or two. RHJ can play the 3 or 4

I want Booker, Acy & Lopez to stay, although I'd let Booker go in the right deal.

Nicholson needs to be waived or stretched. Hamilton might have to be stretched.

Nets need size. A big backup Center and a big (hopefully stretch) PF.
    Short Cut, Draw Blood

LeVert can take the ball up occasionally but he will never play PG unless a huge emergency. SD will be replaced by Milos. Our free agent add will replace Harris. Booker has a better chance of staying than Harris and SD. SD is basically hanging on a thread and probably only on the team next year if injury or we don't get Milos.

LeVert can take the ball up occasionally but he will never play PG unless a huge emergency. SD will be replaced by Milos. Our free agent add will replace Harris. Booker has a better chance of staying than Harris and SD. SD is basically hanging on a thread and probably only on the team next year if injury or we don't get Milos.
    I believe SD and Harris stay. I say LeVert might play some point because has better handle than Whitehead
    Short Cut, Draw Blood

It's going to be tough to go player by player through the roster and say player A is definitely staying and player B is definitely going. Just a year ago with Marks and Atkinson the two guys they talked up the most were Brook and Thad. Then one of them was traded before he ever played a game for Atkinson. That what happens when you have Marks and NOT Billy King.
    It's all about who has value AND can be replaced if they were to be traded. I would say that the writing is on the wall for Trevor Booker, but he also qualifies as a veteran with how young the team is so it's not a guarantee he goes.
    I'm excited to see what kind of trades Marks makes this off season but I'm guessing at least one player everyone likes is sent packing.
    The only players on the roster that would shock me if I saw their name in a trade would be Lin and Levert.
    And if they were going to cut a bunch of players why would they give Goodwin guaranteed money when he is going to be behind at least three other guards?

Quote Originally Posted by NJDrew2 View Post
    It's going to be tough to go player by player through the roster and say player A is definitely staying and player B is definitely going. Just a year ago with Marks and Atkinson the two guys they talked up the most were Brook and Thad. Then one of them was traded before he ever played a game for Atkinson. That what happens when you have Marks and NOT Billy King.
    It's all about who has value AND can be replaced if they were to be traded. I would say that the writing is on the wall for Trevor Booker, but he also qualifies as a veteran with how young the team is so it's not a guarantee he goes.
    I'm excited to see what kind of trades Marks makes this off season but I'm guessing at least one player everyone likes is sent packing.
    The only players on the roster that would shock me if I saw their name in a trade would be Lin and Levert.
    And if they were going to cut a bunch of players why would they give Goodwin guaranteed money when he is going to be behind at least three other guards?
    I don't believe Goodwin's contract is guaranteed.
    Short Cut, Draw Blood

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyHumph View Post
    I don't believe Goodwin's contract is guaranteed.
    It is.

It is.
    Spotrac says Goodwin gets 200K if not waived before 10/31/17. Hoopsworld states this also.

I believe full contract becomes guaranteed January 10th, 2018.
    Last edited by TheMightyHumph; 04-17-2017 at 03:56 PM.
    Short Cut, Draw Blood

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyHumph View Post
    Spotrac says Goodwin gets 200K if not waived before 10/31/17. Hoopsworld states this also.

I believe full contract becomes guaranteed January 10th, 2018.
    Good point. I probably should have said "made an investment" or "gave him a roster spot."

The point is they are trying to keep a lot of these guys around on cheap contracts. They have three draft picks, they'll likely sign two to three players, and they don't have many open roster spots. They could draft a Euro-stash, but I don't think they'll be drafting three of them.

I already mentioned Booker but I'll say one of Harris/Kilpatrick gets dealt and possibly Whitehead if Marks can get value for him. With Dinwiddie getting the majority of minutes behind Lin, the talk of Milos Tedosic being a target, and Goodwin getting time running the offense, Whitehead could have trouble getting consistent minutes next year. But I hope I'm wrong on that one.

I would love to see the Nets take a shot at Milos.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12