Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who was the better SG - James Harden vs Clyde Drexler vs Tracy McGrady?

Who's been the better player?

Harden by a mile. Neither McGrady nor Drexler played their peak basketball in Houston. James is the greatest guard and/or wing player in the history of the Rockets, and it's not even close. If you consider Drexler and McGrady's careers outside of Houston, obviously this is a different conversation. But Harden is slowly climbing that all-time SG list, and at the pace he's going, he could feasibly end up with better careers than both of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Harden by a mile. Neither McGrady nor Drexler played their peak basketball in Houston. James is the greatest guard and/or wing player in the history of the Rockets, and it's not even close. If you consider Drexler and McGrady's careers outside of Houston, obviously this is a different conversation. But Harden is slowly climbing that all-time SG list, and at the pace he's going, he could feasibly end up with better careers than both of those guys.
    Yeah, just realized that T-Mac/Drexler were pretty much finished by the time they got to Houston. I'll get the title changed. Btw, I don't think there is any doubt where Harden would rank as a SG when his career ends. I can easily see him being a top 5 SG right behind Jordan, Kobe, Wade, and West.

Harden pretty easily.

WS/48
    Harden - .229
    Drexler - .160
    McGrady - 143

Win Shares
    Harden - 68.9
    Drexler - 26.9
    McGrady - 33.2

PER
    Harden - 25.2
    Drexler - 20.2
    McGrady - 21.1

If these stats were closer, we could start to discuss it, but it's not even remotely close.

Drexler was past his prime in Houston and McGrady didn't have his best legs then, though he had some awesome seasons, just not a lot of time to add to it.

I thought Drexler and Tmac played SF?

I take this to mean who's been the best throughout their career, not just in Houston. Harden's already approaching McGrady's impact, but let's pump the brakes on him already passing by Drexler. He has a ways to go, and at least one Finals to reach. I do think that when he's had 15 seasons in the NBA, like Drexler and McGrady, Harden will be considered the best of the group, despite never measuring up defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    I take this to mean who's been the best throughout their career, not just in Houston. Harden's already approaching McGrady's impact, but let's pump the brakes on him already passing by Drexler. He has a ways to go, and at least one Finals to reach. I do think that when he's had 15 seasons in the NBA, like Drexler and McGrady, Harden will be considered the best of the group, despite never measuring up defensively.
    Yeah, I don't think anyone's ranking Harden ahead of Drexler when you compare their careers at this point. Clearly Harden is the best SG in terms of their Houston careers, though, and I don't think that's debatable. Only time will tell if Harden ends up surpassing Drexler overall, but I do think Harden will end up with the strongest peak of the three players. An MVP would certainly help his case, but I don't know if Harden will have the team success that Drexler had in Portland and Houston.

Its interesting to compare Drexler with Harden because of how similar they are. Both great and very efficient offensively, both uninterested and lackadaisical defensively. Drexler's steals numbers were always very high but, similar to Harden, thats attributed to a lot of gambling and ball-hawking in the passing lanes. Harden is a better all-round player in terms of the passing and rebounding but Drexler had more impressive athleticism.

If Harden stays healthy he will rank higher than Drex on the all time list.

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Drexler. Solid defender. Great all around player. He wasn't a strong 3pt shooter throughout his career, but as the NBA started shifting, he developed that part of his game (though they did bring the 3pt line in around that time).

I also feel like he was a better leader and team player. I'm not trying to knock the others guys, because I feel like there are things each of them can do that the others can't, and McGrady put up a few seasons that were just insane statistically, and Harden is doing the same now, but Drexler had some really impressive team success and show a lot of maturity and patience on the court and in the process of team building that I think McGrady never had. And Drexler had a defensive commitment and leadership ability that I don't think either Harden or McGrady had (though I do think McGrady was a respectable defender).

That said... I gotta see more of Harden. He's in his prime. I need to see what he does with this before I can compare him with McGrady and Drexler.

The thing with McGrady, is he bolted a winning situation where he could have done something really special in Toronto. Then he complained about not being in a winning situation in Orlando and bolted when they draft Dwight. He could have been playing with Dwight instead of Yao Ming. that would have been interesting. Rather than taking players and leading the, and playing into a team system, he just kept jumping ship. Drexler stuck it out with Portland and was rewarded with two finals appearances, and he was lucky and made the most out of the Houston situation. I know team success is part luck of the draw, but McGrady HAD that luck and twice bolted rather than playing alongside a prime Carter (which would have rivaled Jordan/Pippen) and then bolted because he didn't want to 'wait' for Dwight to get good. Ironically, the Magic one more playoff series during McGrady's time in Houston than the Rockets did, just as the Raptors one more playoff series than the Magic and Rockers did combined during McGrady's time.

I just feel like McGrady played for his own personal stats. That might be unfair, but I'll take Drexler over him for that reason above all others. Also... McGrady may have had seven great seasons, but Drexler had 13 or 14 great years. That gives you a bigger window as well.

Harden... we'll see. Not sure I'll rank him above Drexler, but this year statistically is likely more impressive than any single season Drexler posted. But defense counts for a lot with me. Jordan had to fight Drexler to get those big games. Harden would had been a cake walk for Jordan. It would have been comical.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

Both Tmac and Drexler were better than anything Harden has shown thus far and I include Houston in that. Hes definitely the better, more durable regular season player tho

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Both Tmac and Drexler were better than anything Harden has shown thus far and I include Houston in that. Hes definitely the better, more durable regular season player tho
    Take away T-Mac's one amazing peak season in Orlando, and the rest of his peak and prime don't even touch Harden. That one season was an anomaly. And while I think the guy was a top 50 all-time player and easily a top 10 all-time SG, I think Harden's peak is already stronger and he'll easy pass McGrady by the end of his career.

Phi Slam-ma Jam-ma
    TMac
    Harden

career wise its Drexler, if I had to choose 1 player to build around with a healthy 10 yrs it would be TMAC

I wish G Hill would have stayed healthy and Duncan went ahead and went to Disney as he almost did, they would have won at least 3 titles or at worst been to 3 Finals to try to

Harden can ball and is proving it now and with OKC but I feel those other two are better 2way players, its not a huge gap but starting from scratch I would roll with Glyde/TMAC Attack

Tmac was a lot better and more committed on d than Harden. In todays era, Tmac would have had a better and longer peak

Welcome to Good Boogie, home of the Good Boogie

Boogie Cousins for MVP 2015

When will people actually start watching games and stop ranking players based on WS/48 and PER?

Why is Klay Thompson, a top 20 player, ranked #92 in PER and #110 in WS/48?

Louis Williams 16-17
    PER: 22.8
    WS/48: .162

Klay Thompson 16-17
    PER: 17.3
    WS/48: .125

Westbrook is putting up a 30.2 PER and no one honestly is giving a ****.

These stats have little to no meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Take away T-Mac's one amazing peak season in Orlando, and the rest of his peak and prime don't even touch Harden. That one season was an anomaly. And while I think the guy was a top 50 all-time player and easily a top 10 all-time SG, I think Harden's peak is already stronger and he'll easy pass McGrady by the end of his career.
    He's smashes on Harden. It was no anomaly, he just declined athletically and faced way more defensive attention via the rules in place. Harden definitely more durable better day 2 day in the RS tho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast