Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup QB

Backup QB

Orlovsky is gone. Our only backup option is Rudock.

Kaepernick anyone?

He'd be cheap & the season wouldn't be an automatic loss if anything happened to Stafford. The guy was a non-PI call away from beating the Ravens in the SB. Politics aside, he's the best backup option out there.
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***
    In exchange for Barry Sanders, Ndamukong Suh & Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions received.......one comp pick.

Will they lose Stafford the Same Old Lions way too?

I personally don't agree with him, but I had no issues with his kneeling during games. I have an even bigger issue with NFL teams suggesting that they won't sign him unless he promises not to kneel down during games. Under no circumstances should anyone ever be asked to cast their beliefs aside as a condition for employment. The NFL should be investigated if there are any truth to those claims.

That being said, I'd rather have Jerod Evans but Kaep had a solid season and would immediately be the best back-up in the league. The reason why I choose Evans is because there is already $5MM set aside for draft picks, Kaep would be an added expense, and I feel Evans has the potential to also develop into a starter. I'd be cool with Kaep here, if we weren't already going to sign some other FA's after the draft at positions of need- I have us signing Chris Long and Anquan Boldin after the draft.

Screw Jeff Blashill.

Screw Ken Holland.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Cooper Rush... damn... we are looking at drafting a QB in the 6th round again it looks like. I don't know much about him, but heard what he lacks in talent, he more than makes up for in game-planning and preparation. Seems more like he could be groomed to be an offensive assistant, QB Coach and then maybe an OC in the league.

I have no interest in Kap. Not because of the kneeling, but because he is a garbage qb. I'd rather have RG3 or Tebow.

Quote Originally Posted by kreton View Post
    I have no interest in Kap. Not because of the kneeling, but because he is a garbage qb. I'd rather have RG3 or Tebow.
    You think you have a better chance of winning with rg3 or Tebow? For real?
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***
    In exchange for Barry Sanders, Ndamukong Suh & Calvin Johnson, the Detroit Lions received.......one comp pick.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    You think you have a better chance of winning with rg3 or Tebow? For real?
    IMO Lion fans as are too wishy-washy to have a guy like Kap backup Stafford. By that I mean the moment Stafford struggles there will be a "loud minority" calling for Kap to start and bench Johnny Matthew. Remember the "lets see what Kellen Moore can do" crowd....just times that by 100

Plus I can guarantee you that if we somehow did sign Kaepernick there will be a thread/article/97.1 caller that would suggest us to let Stafford walk make Kap the starter, fire Caldwell and hire Harbaugh from Mich

With all that being said I'm all for signing him

He didn't even play bad last year statistic wise, 16-4 td-int

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post

If you just look at the stats a lot of people look better than they are. Sam Bradford Went 20-5 doesn't make him any good either. And if you really like statistics (which don't win games) Kap also had one of the worst completion % in the league, had one of the lowest yards per attempt (which really helps the old int ratio) and threw for the lowest yards per game, and couldn't make a big play to save his life. Any how not throwing a bunch of picks doesn't make someone a good QB. He's a bad qb. Hell, he lost his starting job to Christian Ponder.

How the hell a guy average 6 yards per throw and still can't complete 60% of his passes blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Wick925 View Post

He also had just under 500 rushing yards which was more than our leading rusher lol and he only played in like 8 games haha. Kaep arguably would have had one of the best seasons of any QB in NFL history had he played an entire season. I was very impressed with how he transitioned to Chip Kelly's offense... the reason why I would say pass, as of today, is because back-up QB is a luxury right now when we still have plenty of other needs. Now, if we needed a STARTING QB then Kaep would be the first one I'd want on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by RB#20 View Post
    He also had just under 500 rushing yards which was more than our leading rusher lol and he only played in like 8 games haha. Kaep arguably would have had one of the best seasons of any QB in NFL history had he played an entire season. I was very impressed with how he transitioned to Chip Kelly's offense... the reason why I would say pass, as of today, is because back-up QB is a luxury right now when we still have plenty of other needs. Now, if we needed a STARTING QB then Kaep would be the first one I'd want on the market.
    Why? Tired of the Lions winning so much? Because I don't think we really have that problem.

Late round dev guys should be the backup till the team gets better. If there ever is a point where it looks like the team is good enough to win with a backup you could spend more on the position but for now, we're all in with Stafford and if he goes down it's a lost season anyway. No need to tie up cap and/or trade picks for good backups.
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    Late round dev guys should be the backup till the team gets better. If there ever is a point where it looks like the team is good enough to win with a backup you could spend more on the position but for now, we're all in with Stafford and if he goes down it's a lost season anyway. No need to tie up cap and/or trade picks for good backups.
    Historically, Stafford has been awful in playoffs & playoff type games, so its not likely we'd have less of a chance with anyone else in that situation....

Unless, that backup is a guy like Orlovsky or Rudock, or Kellen Moore.

Instead of saying "if he goes down it's a lost season anyway", why wouldnt securing a capable backup to avoid that situation be desirable?
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***

If you just look at the stats a lot of people look better than they are. Sam Bradford Went 20-5 doesn't make him any good either. And if you really like statistics (which don't win games) Kap also had one of the worst completion % in the league, had one of the lowest yards per attempt (which really helps the old int ratio) and threw for the lowest yards per game, and couldn't make a big play to save his life. Any how not throwing a bunch of picks doesn't make someone a good QB. He's a bad qb. Hell, he lost his starting job to Christian Ponder.

How the hell a guy average 6 yards per throw and still can't complete 60% of his passes blows my mind.
    Tom Brady would have went 2-14 on the Niners last year. Its all about context. When the Niners had a good team, Kap was one non-call away from a title. When the Lions had a good team, they were bounced in round one. Again.
    ***DID YOU KNOW?***

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Historically, Stafford has been awful in playoffs & playoff type games, so its not likely we'd have less of a chance with anyone else in that situation....

Unless, that backup is a guy like Orlovsky or Rudock, or Kellen Moore.

Instead of saying "if he goes down it's a lost season anyway", why wouldnt securing a capable backup to avoid that situation be desirable?
    Because they are expensive.
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast