Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is tanking?

The Lakers have been in tank mode for years. They are more pathetic than the sixers now which I didn't think was possible.

I remember when Lakers fans defended the Mosgov/Deng signing.. Let's be honest.. those were the two worst moves of the offseason. They don't give a damn about winning.. just collecting the check.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Knicks are not tanking they just suck.
    the knicks have been tanking since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by HandsOnTheWheel View Post
    Super team, huh Derrick? Talk about setting fans up for disappointment lmao.
    Some players are students of the game and turn into terrific coaches. Some are freak athletes who don't understand the game outside their own skillset because they've always gotten by on athleticism. Guess which Rose is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonjorge View Post
    How are the lakers tanking when the best players are playing?
    Mozgov, their starting center hasn't played 30 minutes since the first of January, and he isn't playing at all anymore this season, but it's not performance based. He's the same player they spent all that money on

Deng has only played thirty minutes once since the first of January, he was their starting 3. Though he hasn't been great.

These two guys are making 136 Million and haven't said a word about it.

The Lakers are heavily incentivized to not win right now.

Of course they are tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Some players are students of the game and turn into terrific coaches. Some are freak athletes who don't understand the game outside their own skillset because they've always gotten by on athleticism. Guess which Rose is?
    True, some guys are delusional as well. Getting your shot off on a contested double team doesn't necessarily make you a better player. Some of these guys in the nba don't realize they are shooting their teams out of games and disrupting flow in the offense.

With a guy like Melo he kills any rhythm to an offense. In a system like Mike D's and Hornacek you need your highest usage guy(s) to make quick decisions and to be good play-makers. That's why Lin had more success in a high paced ball movement offense like Mike D, not because he is more talented but his skills translated well to the system and he didn't disrupt the flow of the offense. Even Kobe didn't do as well as he could of because he didn't fully buy into Mike D's system like Harden did.

Playing with guys like Kobe and Melo may make some players less effective, Kerr said there was a psychology behind ball movement and all players touching the ball on offense. It keeps them engaged and active on offense you don't have to shoot the ball every time you touch it, but just the possibility that you have an opportunity in waiting helps out a lot. When players feel more engaged in the game, they will also try harder on defense.

That's why I have have grunts about a guy like AD. Alvin gentry is known as an offensive coach with a nice track record of creating elite offenses. He had elite offenses in Phoenix, LAC, and GS (the latter 2 as assistant coach/offensive coordinator). AD is a highly efficient offensive player, but can you run and create an elite offense with the amount of usage he has? In Gentry's system your high usage guy not only needs to score but needs to be a play maker. I commend Davis for being one of the most efficient volume scorers, but that may not be enough to elevate an offense in today's game. I'm willing to bet Jokic would run Gentry's offense better vs. AD. It's not all bad with AD, his elite and high efficient scoring will win you games but I'm not convinced with his usage rate he can lead an elite offense.

OK I am taking it too far with my reply. Back to the topic.

Lakers, Philly, Phoenix are truly tanking. I don't see anything wrong with tanking. Melo thinks there something wrong with that mind-set but he is also a clueless ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    True, some guys are delusional as well. Getting your shot off on a contested double team doesn't necessarily make you a better player. Some of these guys in the nba don't realize they are shooting their teams out of games and disrupting flow in the offense.

With a guy like Melo he kills any rhythm to an offense. In a system like Mike D's and Hornacek you need your highest usage guy(s) to make quick decisions and to be good play-makers. That's why Lin had more success in a high paced ball movement offense like Mike D, not because he is more talented but his skills translated well to the system and he didn't disrupt the flow of the offense. Even Kobe didn't do as well as he could of because he didn't fully buy into Mike D's system like Harden did.

Playing with guys like Kobe and Melo may make some players less effective, Kerr said there was a psychology behind ball movement and all players touching the ball on offense. It keeps them engaged and active on offense you don't have to shoot the ball every time you touch it, but just the possibility that you have an opportunity in waiting helps out a lot. When players feel more engaged in the game, they will also try harder on defense.

That's why I have have grunts about a guy like AD. Alvin gentry is known as an offensive coach with a nice track record of creating elite offenses. He had elite offenses in Phoenix, LAC, and GS (the latter 2 as assistant coach/offensive coordinator). AD is a highly efficient offensive player, but can you run and create an elite offense with the amount of usage he has? In Gentry's system your high usage guy not only needs to score but needs to be a play maker. I commend Davis for being one of the most efficient volume scorers, but that may not be enough to elevate an offense in today's game. I'm willing to bet Jokic would run Gentry's offense better vs. AD. It's not all bad with AD, his elite and high efficient scoring will win you games but I'm not convinced with his usage rate he can lead an elite offense.

Lakers, Philly, Phoenix are truly tanking. I don't see anything wrong with tanking. Melo thinks there something wrong with that mind-set but he is also a clueless ****.
    /off topic

AD's fine, it's just a question of surrounding him with complimentary pieces. There have always been low usage guys who can stay engaged without touching the ball, Kerr being one of them. They've needed to overhaul their perimeter for years anyway, and load up on 3 and D guys and maybe a point forward. Hopefully they don't double down on Cousins, because I just can't see the two of them functioning in ANY offense together.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    /off topic

AD's fine, it's just a question of surrounding him with complimentary pieces. There have always been low usage guys who can stay engaged without touching the ball, Kerr being one of them. They've needed to overhaul their perimeter for years anyway, and load up on 3 and D guys and maybe a point forward. Hopefully they don't double down on Cousins, because I just can't see the two of them functioning in ANY offense together.
    Not too sure about AD with his usage. You could argue that he had similar pieces to Harden last year on the pelicans compared to what Harden has this year on the rockets. I think his style of play makes him a great individual player on the court but I don't think he elevates his teammates. He had had Gordon and Anderson on his team for a bit and they were never a top offense.

He's a more efficient Carmelo on offense that doesn't stall offenses as much. He'll win you some games but is a bit over-rated to me. Some guys are good individual players and players that can elevate their teammates and make it easier for them. I just think he is the former and not the combination of both. He has a chance to grow as a play-maker, although feel and vision come more naturally to some then to others.

As for the Kerr comment, this was when he was coaching not when he was playing and why he preaches moving the ball. An example is a guy like DeMarre Carroll put him on a team like ATL, GS, SA, Cle, Hou, even BK and you'll see him as a more engaged and better contributor. In a iso heavy offense like the Raptors he seems less engaged on offense and is standing in the corner hoping for a touch instead of expecting a touch. His overall effect on the team has been disappointing.

To add, the one excuse ill give AD is he hasn't had consistent healthy floor spacers in Gentry's system. But looking at guys that played with both Harden and Davis (Asik, Gordon, Anderson etc.) players seem to be just as good or better with Harden.
    Last edited by Heediot; 03-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post

Agreed entirely. ADs utter lack of a floor game limits his impact to his own production.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Mozgov, their starting center hasn't played 30 minutes since the first of January, and he isn't playing at all anymore this season, but it's not performance based. He's the same player they spent all that money on

Deng has only played thirty minutes once since the first of January, he was their starting 3. Though he hasn't been great.

These two guys are making 136 Million and haven't said a word about it.

The Lakers are heavily incentivized to not win right now.

Of course they are tanking.
    I get lakers made a mistake pay them all that $.

Now do these 2 guys make the lakers better? Is Moz taking mins away from Zuniac or Nace give the lakers a better shot to win? And deng taking from Ingrahm? I don't think so. Tanking is sitting out the players who win you games. Moz and Deng don't fit that description.
    Last edited by Bostonjorge; 03-19-2017 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
    the knicks have been tanking since 2011.
    Some times they have had no reason to tank since they didn't have their 1st round pick. This year? Yeah they are probably tanking now.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

Idk if the Magic are tanking or if they are just historically bad while laughably continuing to try to make the playoffs. All I know is it is not a very fun time to be a fan of the Orlando Magic.

So ... speculation includes:

Lakers
    Sixers
    Suns
    Knicks
    Bucks
    Magic
    Pelicans

Kings and Heat failed in their attempts to tank?

And the Nets are just bad.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

Knicks are not tanking they just suck.
    Facts.

So ... speculation includes:

Lakers
    Sixers
    Suns
    Knicks
    Bucks
    Magic
    Pelicans

Kings and Heat failed in their attempts to tank?

And the Nets are just bad.
    Wish my Bucks were top 3 lottery pick. Get one of them PG's. But Middleton gave us some life lately as our glue guy. But now Giannis is gassed from playing heavy minutes most of the season. Bucks failed really. We should of been buyers then if we wanted playoffs. Still lack a decent center. We still lack a rim protector and a wing scorer off of the pine. Also could use a speedy PG. Brogdon/Delly are a bit slow footed and get killed with fast PG's in the league.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast