Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 100.00%
  • No

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Western Conference Best Teams to not win a title since 1990

So here is a fun game I thought to play. I am going to have a tournament of all the teams to never win the title after 1990 to determine the non-winners playoffs and who would win the title.

It's going to be teams that never won in any year, i.e. not teams that did win just not in a specific year. For instance this iteration of the Warriors has won, so even though they didn't win last year they aren't included. It's strictly teams whose core never won.

Here are the teams thus far for the Western Conference:

97-98 Utah Jazz
    90-92 Portland Trailblazers
    1996 Seattle Supersonics
    1992 Phoenix Suns
    11-12 Oklahoma City Thunder
    99-00 Portland Trailblazers
    05-06 Phoenix Suns
    2002 Sacramento Kings

Please vote on the poll if you think these are the 8 best teams from the Western Conference since 1990 to have never won a title, if you do not think they are vote No and post which team you think should be switched out and for who.

Maybe it's because I'm biased, but I'd like to see the 1996-97 Rockets on that list. That was the first year with Barkley where both he and Hakeem still had just a sliver of their prime left and Drexler was past his prime, but still really damn good. Ask any Houston sports fan about that John Stockton shot that ended their season. In terms of most devastating sports losses in the city's history, it's right behind the Oilers historic collapse to the Bills and the Phi Slama Jama loss to NC State in the 80s.

Edit: Wait.... I think I might have misunderstood you. I'm just now realizing those were the best versions of the teams that didn't win the Finals since 1990. Is that correct?
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 03-17-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm biased, but I'd like to see the 1996-97 Rockets on that list. That was the first year with Barkley where both he and Hakeem still had just a sliver of their prime left and Drexler was past his prime, but still really damn good. Ask any Houston sports fan about that John Stockton shot that ended their season. In terms of most devastating sports losses in the city's history, it's right behind the Oils historic collapse to the Bills and the Phi Slama Jama loss to NC State in the 80s.

Edit: Wait.... I think I might have misunderstood you. I'm just now realizing those were the best versions of the teams that didn't win the Finals since 1990. Is that correct?
    Correct. You could argue maybe that the 1997 Rockets were a different enough team with Barkley to get consideration but I excluded them because they still had Hakeem/Clyde and several role players from their championship teams.

As a side note, I didn't realize how many bad sports moments Houston had as a city lol. Those are all fairly big bad beats and upsets.

That kings team is the best team to not win in my life time. I'll admit I'm a fan but thy we're absolutely incredible

I'm not seeing the poll but my gut says 99-00 Blazers or the Kings. The 99-00 Blazers had so much talent and just epicly choked (sorry Vlade at least they were good [emoji4])

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah gonna have to cosign on the 97 Rockets team being included. I get how absurd it is to bring up a team that we already know lost to one core you listed but its still entirely plausible they are one of the better teams listed. The Jazz won fair and square despite that horrendous no call at the end, but the Rockets were on their level for sure and in another reality, they win that series often. Lets not forget this Rockets core also ousted the GP-Kemp Sonics. That was the entire reason the Rockets got Chuck (aside from star power), to me the 90's to me were far more of a matchup game, I remember some players speaking about this too. The Rockets had the Suns number, the Suns had the Sonics number, the Sonics had the Rockets number. In certain years any of those teams could have advanced to the Finals had the matchups been drawn differently.

Lemme put it this way, do you remember when the 04-Lakers were utterly dominant whenever Karl Malone played in a game, the Rockets when Chuck was healthy were similarly dominant (too drunk for the maths but something like 40-10 or so). Lets say this core had been together long enough to secure HCA, I can totally see them beating the Jazz. The separation wasn't that profound between most western powers back in the 90's, it was only in the East where teams were a joke.

Will make my list when I get home tho

“I didn't leave my bed, because I was like, 'Man, if I walk outside somebody might just try to hit me with their car or say anything negative to me’”

-Beta B KD

Oh yeah, and I get why you didn't include them. It was many of the same players from the first title but thats what made them so intriguing to me. My greatest loss will always be that I never saw Bulls-Rockets with all the star power that came with it. They would have beat the Bulls IMO, the Jazz werent up to snuff for it because they lacked the 2-headed monster of old Chuck+Dream

“I didn't leave my bed, because I was like, 'Man, if I walk outside somebody might just try to hit me with their car or say anything negative to me’”

-Beta B KD

Man that 2000 Blazers team had so much defensive talent. You put Anthony at the PG, Augmon or Steve at the 2, Scottie the 3, Sheed the 4, Sabonis or Grant at the 5. Plus Bonzi. Man they could lock you up. O'Neil didn't even play and they had Damon and Detleaf (not great defenders but ballers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    Oh yeah, and I get why you didn't include them. It was many of the same players from the first title but thats what made them so intriguing to me. My greatest loss will always be that I never saw Bulls-Rockets with all the star power that came with it. They would have beat the Bulls IMO, the Jazz werent up to snuff for it because they lacked the 2-headed monster of old Chuck+Dream
    If we include the 97 Rockets the question then becomes which team gets left out?

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm biased, but I'd like to see the 1996-97 Rockets on that list. That was the first year with Barkley where both he and Hakeem still had just a sliver of their prime left and Drexler was past his prime, but still really damn good. Ask any Houston sports fan about that John Stockton shot that ended their season. In terms of most devastating sports losses in the city's history, it's right behind the Oils historic collapse to the Bills and the Phi Slama Jama loss to NC State in the 80s.
    I was at this game as a kid. Literally wept when Stockton hit that 3 after getting open from Malone's clearly illegal screen. I can't think of a more devastating sports event growing up.

It also hurt that that was really the last chance to ever take down Jordan. No other team could have done it except for the Rockets. Easily the matchup I most wanted to see that never happened in NBA history.

I've never hated a rival as much as I hated the jazz in the 90s and even during the tmac years. Even when they sucked, I had great joy when we would beat them.
    Last edited by rhino17; 03-17-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    “Today, we rip the hearts out of these ****in' haters!!!” - Demeco Ryans pregame speech vs ATL

Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    The Trailblazers in the early 90's were amazing.

I always thought that Seattle team was a little over-rated.

Early-mid 90's Knicks teams also great.

Hard to say, but the Blazers, Suns, and Kings team you mentioned were mind-blowingly good.

I was a huge fan of the Jazz, but I felt like they were a little overrated too. I mean... they had three guys who played really well together, and were well coached, but didn't have much depth. Byron Russell? Decent defender and all, but... Ostertag? I mean... these guys were starers.

Look at their bench. What did they have?

The fact they got to back-to-back finals was a testament to Sloan's coaching and just how good Stockton, Malone, and Horny were.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

The 2012 Spurs have to be on there. They won 20 straight going in and during the playoffs and then inexplicably lost 4 in a row to the Thunder after being up 2-0.

Everyone thought they were going to win and that team was legit.

06-07 Suns, 11-12 Spurs.

The 06-07 Suns Should have been the NBA champions in 2007. But horrible calls went against them in the Spurs series that robbed them. After that year they got older and more injury prone and then couldn't beat the Lakers.

2011-2012 Spurs. They just ran into a matchup nightmare with the Thunder and James Harden was just too good off the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by LOb0 View Post
    The 2012 Spurs have to be on there. They won 20 straight going in and during the playoffs and then inexplicably lost 4 in a row to the Thunder after being up 2-0.

Everyone thought they were going to win and that team was legit.
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    06-07 Suns, 11-12 Spurs.

The 06-07 Suns Should have been the NBA champions in 2007. But horrible calls went against them in the Spurs series that robbed them. After that year they got older and more injury prone and then couldn't beat the Lakers.

2011-2012 Spurs. They just ran into a matchup nightmare with the Thunder and James Harden was just too good off the bench.
    Please read the OP, it's teams/cores who never won. The 2012 Spurs don't count because even though they didn't win that specific year, that Spurs core won titles.

04 timberwolves should be on the list. Had they not had sam injured they would of had a very good shot. They lost to the lakers who then in turn lost to detriot.

I cant remmeber if 04 was the correct year or not...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast