Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What is the better sitcom?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Friends

12 29.27%
  • Seinfeld

25 60.98%
  • Both are extremely overrated and equally ****

4 9.76%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Sitcom?

Have attempted to watch Seinfeld a couple of times and did not enjoy it...other than the Paul O'Neill episode.
    Friends was fun to watch for me so that gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    I've only met one other person who liked King of Queens as much as I do. For me nothing sums up a dudes perspective of marriage than King of Queens.
    King of Queens was way better then either of these shows. Doug is actually funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

How is this tied 5-5 and I'm the one that tied it? Friends isn't even in this discussion. I'd actually take king of queens over friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    How is this tied 5-5 and I'm the one that tied it? Friends isn't even in this discussion. I'd actually take king of queens over friends.
    It had big Lou too

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

I like both so it's a tough decision, but Seinfeld is more ground breaking than Friends was. Seinfeld made huge success from a show that just examines social norms and deviance. The R rated version of Seinfeld (Curb Your Enthusiasm) is also fantastic with Larry David. Seinfeld wins.

Seinfeld by a mile. The writing is genius, they continued to make episodes from the most ordinary subjects and make it funny, the acting was great, the characters awesome, especially some of the secondary (Puddy, Peterman, Newman), and it stands the test of time, being just as funny today. It's the best comedic sitcom ever made for me, with Cheers right behind it.

rhino17 put Friends perfectly in his post on page 1. Like, I can't put it any better...

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Curb your enthusiasm was better than friends.
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

I never watched a full episode of Friends. Maybe caught a glimpse here and there flipping through channels.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    i love king of queens... my sister who detests fat men would legit bone the dude from king of queens lol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD92a5eebYg

all that needs to be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    King of Queens was way better then either of these shows. Doug is actually funny

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    I didn't know so many people on PSD (or anywhere actually) liked King of Queens.

It's weird too because I loved Kevin James on King of Queens but the vast majority of his movies are terrible. Like his humor completely changed.

I didn't know so many people on PSD (or anywhere actually) liked King of Queens.

It's weird too because I loved Kevin James on King of Queens but the vast majority of his movies are terrible. Like his humor completely changed.
    I didn't like his movies or his stand-up but that he was good in KOQ. Jerry Stiller makes every show he's on though.

I liked King of Queens, but it was in no way on Seinfeld level. I would put it on Married with Children level, which is a compliment. Kevin James is hilarious, and Stiller was good as well.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye15 View Post
    I liked King of Queens, but it was in no way on Seinfeld level. I would put it on Married with Children level, which is a compliment. Kevin James is hilarious, and Stiller was good as well.
    In terms of show quality like writing/etc. yeah it's not on Seinfeld's level, but I'd be hard pressed to find sit-coms that are.

I've only met one other person who liked King of Queens as much as I do. For me nothing sums up a dudes perspective of marriage than King of Queens.
    I love King of Queens. Arthur is one of my favorite characters in any TV show.

One of my favorite scenes from the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-tbf-pBUAU

Friends was and remains the ultimate generic sitcom. It took a basic formula, never deviated from it, and enjoyed a full decade's worth of success because the average American viewer is terrified by change and for the most part just wants the same story recycled and regurgitated to them a thousand times over.

Seinfeld was the polar opposite. They took a similar basic formula (small group of friends, rather than the family dynamic) and went weird and wild ways with it every week. In it's infancy, Seinfeld struggled for ratings because no one had ever seen a show where the main characters simply sit and talk about mundane aspects of daily life for an entire episode. In time, people gradually appreciated the nuance, and as has already been mentioned - a seemingly endless cavalcade of secondary and tertiary characters (see finale for reference) helped explode the show into what it became.

When I saw the title of this thread I knew precisely which two shows this was going to be before ever clicking into it, this is a conversation that's had all the time, even a decade and a half after both shows went off the air.

One of the things I find most telling - where Seinfeld really took off in the middle to later years, as I mentioned, was based heavily off the secondary characters and the relationships they cultivated with the primary four. In those same middle to later seasons, Friends went the cliched route of reaching out to celebrity guest stars for ratings. Seinfeld, in its own right, had tons of celebrity guest stars as well. The fascinating thing is the overwhelming majority of them because famous *after* their cameos on Seinfeld. That was the eye for talent that Larry David had. Dude is incredible.

I don't particularly like either as much as many people I know, but I think Seinfeld is unequivocally a better show. I think it was more groundbreaking, unique and ahead of it's time. I think it was funnier. I think the characters are far more memorable. I like cynicism, bizarreness and rawer comedy than otherwise. So on and so forth.

But, like most anything else, there are tons of subjective factors in play, so like whatever the hell you want to like. And I think the shows are different enough that fighting too passionately about either one isn't really necessary. They did not approach things at all in a similar manner.
    this my sig

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast