Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    You thoroughly missed the point.

Find me a player who has not had a 4 for 30 stretch
    Babe Ruth had 4 for 30 stretches (I'd guess, I haven't looked).

Better players than Tebow have had worse stretches in 30 A-ball plate appearances.

4 for 30 (or 3 for 31 whatever) has nothing to do with anything. Major League All-Star or A-ball non-prospect.
    No.

You thoroughly missed mine.

The context of my comment about pointing out Tebow's last 3-31 is that it was part of a larger body of work in which he performed miserably in low A-ball prior to his surprise promotion to high A. He then played remarkably (surprisingly too) well before returning again to his dismal performance with his recent last 3-31, thus removing any doubt that he clearly is not ready for the Show.

But you knew that.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    No.

You thoroughly missed mine.

The context of my comment about pointing out Tebow's last 3-31 is that it was part of a larger body of work in which he performed miserably in low A-ball prior to his surprise promotion to high A. He then played remarkably (surprisingly too) well before returning again to his dismal performance with his recent last 3-31, thus removing any doubt that he clearly is not ready for the Show.

But you knew that.
    I agree that he's not ready for the Show (tm)
    It has nothing to do with 3 for 31
    If he had been 10 for 31 or or 15 for 31 I would still say that he was not ready the Show (tm)

I agree that he's not ready for the Show (tm)
    It has nothing to do with 3 for 31
    If he had been 10 for 31 or or 15 for 31 I would still say that he was not ready the Show (tm)
    Well, if he had continued raking in A ball as he had from his initial call up, I think attention would have had to have been paid. He still wouldnt have been ready but it would have made a promotion to the majors a little more meritorious.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Tebow was never going to get a call up this season. He'd have to be put on the 40-man roster and that WOULD prevent the Mets from protecting a much more qualified prospect in the Rule V draft. THAT would be something to shake a stick at.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Tebow was never going to get a call up this season. He'd have to be put on the 40-man roster and that WOULD prevent the Mets from protecting a much more qualified prospect in the Rule V draft. THAT would be something to shake a stick at.
    Excellent point that you've made before.

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Well, if he had continued raking in A ball as he had from his initial call up, I think attention would have had to have been paid. He still wouldnt have been ready but it would have made a promotion to the majors a little more meritorious.
    No
    Because performance, that can be measured by things like hits, extra base hits, even walks and strikeouts, is meaningless in 30 PA's. Things like swing percentages and exit velocities might be meaningful in that small of a sample. But, those aren't the things that people are going to cite.

No
    Because performance, that can be measured by things like hits, extra base hits, even walks and strikeouts, is meaningless in 30 PA's. Things like swing percentages and exit velocities might be meaningful in that small of a sample. But, those aren't the things that people are going to cite.
    At the very least, the team would have been able to sell a promotion better if he was able to sustain his earlier success, regardless of the small 30-AB sample which becomes larger if you tack on the earlier numbers.

But I'm with Dug here: The org wouldnt expose a roster player to a Rule 5 pick just for a PR move.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    As far as said financial problems go, the Mets are in much better shape financially than they were during the Madoff scandal. There's no reason why they can't flex their big market muscle from time to time aside from Cespedes.
    According to [Met GM Sandy Alderson], he had to persuade ownership to go over budget this season with the promise that he would trade away salary if the team didn’t contend.
    https://www.amazinavenue.com/2017/8/...ership-wilpons

I'm not arguing that the Mets can spend like the Yankees or Dodgers but its under Alderson's discretion (according to him) when he feels a player is worth spending on. The issue with Alderson is how conservative he is with FA but they did hand out the largest deal to a FA this past offseason.

David Wright and Tim Tebow together in the minors. Who would've thunk it!?
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Tebow will be called up next year at some point....prohphecy lol

I can't believe this thread is still going strong 6 months later.

You have quite the definition of strong.

When in fact, it's going about as strong as Tebow's OPS.

Yeah, two whole posts in the month leading up to that proclamation (with one of the posts being by him).

Good times.

"there's no scraps in my scrapbook"

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324