Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BDawks Weightloss Journey

Need some help. let's see how it goes.

38 years old, 6'4" and 345 (down about 15 pounds since getting back after it). Playing weight in college was 275. I've never been much of a lifter, just country strong I guess.

Anyways, several years ago I got up to 370+, lost 130 pounds over the course of a year and got down to 242. Back surgery and my wife's 3 total knee replacements later I have put the weight back on. I'm still very athletic, just heavy.

Here is what I do currently:

Mondays - 530AM - 30 minutes cardio minimum (elipical, bike, etc.), sauna 45-60 min
    Tuesdays - 6AM - Dads on the Go class - Full body - 5 stations - 5 sets. Combination of weights, cardio, etc. Sauna 45-60
    Wednesday - 6AM - 30 minutes cardio minimum, sauna 45-60
    Thursday - Dads class, sauna
    Friday - Raquetball, 90 minutes continuous. I play at a high level so lots of energy exerted, hour of steam room
    Saturday - 8AM - Cycling class, 50 minutes, sauna
    Sunday - off (but active with softball/coaching/etc.

Currently I am on prescribed Phentermine, 37.5mg. I had a ton of success with this previously as you can see from the weight loss before.

Wake up - 1 slice wheat toast, pb, 1 banana sliced on it. This is what I have been eating every AM before working out over the last couple weeks.

Work out

After workout - Chocolate protein drink - Odwalla brand. 15.2 oz, 410 calories, 32g protein

mid-AM snack - fruit (pear or orange usually)

Lunch - Usually a prepack make it yourself tuna that comes with a mayo pack, relish, and 6 crackers from Starkist and a piece of fruit (orange, pear, berries, etc.)

Mid-afternoon snack - fruit

Dinner - whatever we have but I TRY to avoid bread/pasta the best I can.

The only thing I take right now is the Phentermine. Before i would also take a green tea supplement and CLA as well with it as a stack. I don;t do anything pre workout or postworkout as far as supplements. I also don't take any additional vitamins or anything.

So, here is what I need. My goal is to lose weight obviously but I also want to get stronger and toned at the same time.

Should I do anything with the Phentermine? Any experience or suggestions would be helpful.
    Maybe a better meal replacement or protein shake options than the Odwalla. These are just cheap and easy to grab at walmart I don't like Muscle Milk and I want something already mixed and ready.

Vitamins? Pre-post workout?

I'm a blank canvas guys. Help me.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

How long have you been doing this current workout routine/diet for?
    What was your activity level/eating like before you started to lose weight again?

The biggest thing I can preach is to avoid the extremes as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by hughest4 View Post
    How long have you been doing this current workout routine/diet for?
    What was your activity level/eating like before you started to lose weight again?

The biggest thing I can preach is to avoid the extremes as much as possible.
    Current workout routine, 4 weeks. Current eating routine, 3 weeks?
    Couple times a week with the group classes and then just basic coaching/softball/etc.

My scale goes to 350, I was wrong on my original post. Yesterday it said MAX and fluctuated back and forth in the 349's and MAX, so let's call it 350. This morning I was at 346.5. Yes, I weight everyday, it's more of a mental thing for me though, it helps me. I also weigh at the same time every AM and never with clothes. I'm not so much interested in the number, but I am. I know I'm losing some inches and clothes are feeling a bit different too.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

Like I said in my previous post, limit the extremes.

Like you mentioned in your original post, you have lost weight before. More importantly though is finding a way to keep it off.

Strict diets or under eating will help you lose that weight again, but how long can you maintain that lifestyle for? Find something that works for your weight loss goals but that you will be able to continue with for the rest of your life. There is nothing worse than losing weight, going on a binge, and ending up heavier than you were before. It takes 6 months to lose the weight, and half of that time to put it all back on. Its a cruel and viscous cycle.

Just by looking at your current nutrition I'd probably go out on a limb and say you are eating roughly 1050-1200 prior to you dinner. I'm not sure what you dinner consists of but you are eating somewhere between 1550-1900 calories per day. For a 340lb guy you are DEFINITELY not eating enough. The calorie range you are eating in is probably good for a 150lb woman who is trying to lose weight. You will definitely lose weight but its probably not the healthiest way. You will be burning whatever muscle you do have on your body. You aren't in a weight loss competition so there is no rush. Be healthy and be consistent. You will likely lose big numbers in the first couple weeks(which it seems you have), but it should slow down after that. For someone your size I'd be looking at 2 lbs per week as a good goal. As your weight decreases 1.5-2lbs, and eventually 1lb per week. That frustrates the **** out of people, but its the way to go. You will be much more likely to keep the weight off long term.

As far as supplements, a multi vitamin is good to have but not necessary. Supplements as a whole really aren't necessary and I wouldn't recommend them. Fish oil is good for joints if that is an issue for you.

Last question, why are you spending 45-60 minutes per day in a sauna?

Like I said in my previous post, limit the extremes.

Like you mentioned in your original post, you have lost weight before. More importantly though is finding a way to keep it off.

Strict diets or under eating will help you lose that weight again, but how long can you maintain that lifestyle for? Find something that works for your weight loss goals but that you will be able to continue with for the rest of your life. There is nothing worse than losing weight, going on a binge, and ending up heavier than you were before. It takes 6 months to lose the weight, and half of that time to put it all back on. Its a cruel and viscous cycle.

Just by looking at your current nutrition I'd probably go out on a limb and say you are eating roughly 1050-1200 prior to you dinner. I'm not sure what you dinner consists of but you are eating somewhere between 1550-1900 calories per day. For a 340lb guy you are DEFINITELY not eating enough. The calorie range you are eating in is probably good for a 150lb woman who is trying to lose weight. You will definitely lose weight but its probably not the healthiest way. You will be burning whatever muscle you do have on your body. You aren't in a weight loss competition so there is no rush. Be healthy and be consistent. You will likely lose big numbers in the first couple weeks(which it seems you have), but it should slow down after that. For someone your size I'd be looking at 2 lbs per week as a good goal. As your weight decreases 1.5-2lbs, and eventually 1lb per week. That frustrates the **** out of people, but its the way to go. You will be much more likely to keep the weight off long term.

As far as supplements, a multi vitamin is good to have but not necessary. Supplements as a whole really aren't necessary and I wouldn't recommend them. Fish oil is good for joints if that is an issue for you.

Last question, why are you spending 45-60 minutes per day in a sauna?
    Had back surgery several years ago, it keeps me loose. Also, I'm never sick, not even a sniffle, haven't been in soooooo many years. I believe it gets out the yuck. I just like it, very relaxing and meditating.

Good stuff Hugest (honestly if have any diet questions i might ask you) anyway BDawk the only thing i would add if you are going to do something called "Dad's on the go" call it something else publicly

As of this AM, 343.

Treated myself Saturday night to some Mexican. Had fajitas but didn't eat the tortillas or rice. So, meat, veggies, beans and pico. Limited the chips and salsa.

Feeling good.

Good ****, buddy. I'm currently trying to lose the weight too. 31, 5'10, 240 (as of this morning). Was as much as 260 a year ago this time when I started the Keto Diet. Like Hughest was saying, extremes and living those lifestyles are hard. I was on that about 6 months or so and got down to under 230 with it. Limited exercise while on that. After I stopped in August-ish I got back up to 250. Since December-ish just trying to eat better but not staying consistent.

I was pushing 250 about 7 years ago too but moved to Florida, starting eating smaller portions and at least 4 days a week was running up to 3 miles (built up to it) but also 4 days a week worked 10 hours a day 80% of the day on my feet. Was to 190 by the time I moved back to PA in a year.

190 is even bad for 5'10 but I just want to get back there. A big motivator for me, is I have a closet full of clothes that I don't fit in. I have a small wardrobe of clothes that fit me now. Not spending money on bigger clothes helps keep my mind set on losing the weight.

I'd suggest maybe doing something similar. Just keeping up what you're doing. Hard for me to talk, just given light that I'm working towards the same goal as I know I'm a giant fat-pos right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    Good ****, buddy. I'm currently trying to lose the weight too. 31, 5'10, 240 (as of this morning). Was as much as 260 a year ago this time when I started the Keto Diet. Like Hughest was saying, extremes and living those lifestyles are hard. I was on that about 6 months or so and got down to under 230 with it. Limited exercise while on that. After I stopped in August-ish I got back up to 250. Since December-ish just trying to eat better but not staying consistent.

I was pushing 250 about 7 years ago too but moved to Florida, starting eating smaller portions and at least 4 days a week was running up to 3 miles (built up to it) but also 4 days a week worked 10 hours a day 80% of the day on my feet. Was to 190 by the time I moved back to PA in a year.

190 is even bad for 5'10 but I just want to get back there. A big motivator for me, is I have a closet full of clothes that I don't fit in. I have a small wardrobe of clothes that fit me now. Not spending money on bigger clothes helps keep my mind set on losing the weight.

I'd suggest maybe doing something similar. Just keeping up what you're doing. Hard for me to talk, just given light that I'm working towards the same goal as I know I'm a giant fat-pos right now.
    I'm in the same boat clothes wise, when I was at my lowest I bought an entire new wardrobe and threw all my fat clothes away. Other than the 3 pairs of work pants, a couple sweaters, and about 6 short sleeve polos, that's all I have for now. I refuse to buy anything else in a 4XTall.

I'm feeling really good though, I like my "new" diet. I eat enough to keep everything moving and then splurge when I want, which has been few and far between. I've never been much of an eater which is weird to hear a fat guy say that.

Best compliment so far was my youngest son when he walked in the door Friday from college. He was home for the weekend with his birthday being today, he walked in, just saw him 3 weeks ago and he says "damn skinny", and had no idea of the work I've been putting in. That was enough to refuel the fire.

That, and i make being big look good.

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'm in the same boat clothes wise, when I was at my lowest I bought an entire new wardrobe and threw all my fat clothes away. Other than the 3 pairs of work pants, a couple sweaters, and about 6 short sleeve polos, that's all I have for now. I refuse to buy anything else in a 4XTall.

I'm feeling really good though, I like my "new" diet. I eat enough to keep everything moving and then splurge when I want, which has been few and far between. I've never been much of an eater which is weird to hear a fat guy say that.

Best compliment so far was my youngest son when he walked in the door Friday from college. He was home for the weekend with his birthday being today, he walked in, just saw him 3 weeks ago and he says "damn skinny", and had no idea of the work I've been putting in. That was enough to refuel the fire.

That, and i make being big look good.
    That's what motivates me too, hearing the genuine compliments from people. My problem is the food though. I could go home right now and eat an entire pizza to my face, no problem. I won't because I'll control it, during the week normally, but sometimes my girlfriend (who's a big motivator, down 94 pounds herself and still pushing) will be like, "I want to go out to eat," and then I'm like, "Ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" because I wind up doing that when I had no intention to before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

How's is going BDawk? Staying consistent?

How's is going BDawk? Staying consistent?
    Doing well. Finished up the 6 week class, last week was our of week. I was lazy, mainly because I umpired every night last week but still got the Friday AM raquetball session in.

332 currently, feeling good.