Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Harper or Machado

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Harper

    1 10.00%
  • Machado

    3 30.00%
  • Both

    4 40.00%
  • Neither let kids play

    2 20.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 86
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Ok So between you and NJ, I'm not losing my mind regarding that. I am for many other reasons bu not that.
    When considering range and quickness we must keep in mind, 1) 2014 Machado experienced season-ending surgery on his medial patellofemoral ligament (MPFL) in his right knee, a procedure to repair the torn ligament...2) the same surgery performed on his left knee the previous year. Another reason I see it as highly unlikely he moves off 3B. Two surgically repaired knees, not the best SS candidate imo.

    From a strictly Yankees perspective, in 2018 he'll be entering his age 26 season, still young with plenty of prime production remaining. A rarity indeed in FA market. Headley's contract will be expiring. No-one questioning his bat or his glove at 3B. Imo the fit is perfect, the timing just right. The only question is money. Some will be reluctant to pay him, others will question the credulity of the salary given the young guns already on the roster. I have already stated my feelings. Machado and Harper are once in a lifetime talents, grab them when opportunity presents.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    766
    Its a tough call. I think you have to see how they play over the next 2 years, what the teams needs are and the expected cost. The one thing I like about Harper is that he's a power lefty bat and the only lefties we have are Didi and Bird.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,888
    f it. sign them both

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    f it. sign them both

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Agree! It's only money, as we all know Yanks print it!
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    3,888
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Agree! It's only money, as we all know Yanks print it!
    And more importantly, it aint my money. This team is about to get a lot cheaper. With Ells being the only stupid expensove contract on the books

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by NJBASEBALL22 View Post
    And more importantly, it aint my money. This team is about to get a lot cheaper. With Ells being the only stupid expensove contract on the books

    Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Plus the one area the Yanks have not done well as of late is at the gate! Attendance down 5 of last 6 years., an slight uptick in 2014, but still well below historic highs. Winning and stars such as Machado and Harper would change that in a heartbeat. First time in their history the Muts RSN SNY finished the regular season as baseball's most-watched regional sports network, beating the Yankees' YES. Not good. If George were alive the Harper and Machado contracts would already be prepped. Occasionally George got it right.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,366
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I have always been under the impression that SS is the most taxing position in the field, aside from catcher. That's why we see aging SS moved to third as they age and not the reverse.

    I could be completely wrong but it was always my understanding that the ground covered and things like DPs made SS way more physically taxing.
    In terms of regression its catcher, 3rd base, then SS. It presumably has to do with a majority of the league being RH and how many balls are hit to 3rd basemans in general.

    The smartest thing the Tigers have done in the last 3 years was move Miggy off of 3rd base to preserve his offense. Not to say Miggy is even half the defender Machado is but you don't want to pay 300 million dollars for defense first and if you cant have the whole package (offense and defense) for the duration of the contract, preserving his bat should be priority. Not to mention you want to maximize his value and they can do that with him playing SS.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,064
    I'm content to let the next year + go before I worry about this... let's be truthful, things may change on many fronts to change our minds... first, let's remember the guy scheduled for that FA class that fit us the best was Fernandez.. until he went boating last year.
    Harper or Machado may take themselves out (injury, signing an extention, ...etc)... or some of the kids may make things tough to look at them... They have 2 full seasons before they are Free agents.. quite a bit can change in 2 years... I personally hope the kids step up and make us not want to spend the money that MIGHT only get us 2-3 more wins... Only time will tell if that will happen...

    I'm not even putting my marbles on Andujar... The way Torres and didi have been playing... that could be a very nice left side of the infield....

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    456
    Machado

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    In terms of regression its catcher, 3rd base, then SS. It presumably has to do with a majority of the league being RH and how many balls are hit to 3rd basemans in general.

    The smartest thing the Tigers have done in the last 3 years was move Miggy off of 3rd base to preserve his offense. Not to say Miggy is even half the defender Machado is but you don't want to pay 300 million dollars for defense first and if you cant have the whole package (offense and defense) for the duration of the contract, preserving his bat should be priority. Not to mention you want to maximize his value and they can do that with him playing SS.
    The reason the Tigers moved Miggy off 3B was quite simply because he SUCKED and to make room for Fielder, not to preserve his bat. Originally signed as a shortstop at the age of 16, Cabrera instead spent his first three big league seasons primarily in the Marlins' outfield due to surrounding circumstances. With the 2003 Marlins getting little to no offensive production in left field -- and Mike Lowell in the midst of his second straight All-Star campaign at third base -- the club elected to promote Cabrera and his highly touted bat directly from Double-A Carolina in an attempt to fill the void. He made his Major League debut in left field on June 20, 2003, after making only three outfield appearances in the Minors.
    Though his defense was understandably less than ideal, Cabrera notched 12 homers and 62 RBIs in just 87 games en route to helping the Marlins win the World Series. He switched back to third base for the 2006-07 seasons, but he lasted only 14 games at the hot corner after being traded to Detroit before the '08 campaign. After making five errors in only 50 total chances, the Tigers moved Cabrera to first base, where he would remain until the arrival of Prince Fielder in '12. Cabrera spent two seasons at third before moving back to first when Detroit traded Fielder to Texas following the '13 season.
    Last edited by drt1010; 03-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,366
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    The reason the Tigers moved Miggy off 3B was quite simply because he SUCKED and to make room for Fielder, not to preserve his bat. Originally signed as a shortstop at the age of 16, Cabrera instead spent his first three big league seasons primarily in the Marlins' outfield due to surrounding circumstances. With the 2003 Marlins getting little to no offensive production in left field -- and Mike Lowell in the midst of his second straight All-Star campaign at third base -- the club elected to promote Cabrera and his highly touted bat directly from Double-A Carolina in an attempt to fill the void. He made his Major League debut in left field on June 20, 2003, after making only three outfield appearances in the Minors.
    Though his defense was understandably less than ideal, Cabrera notched 12 homers and 62 RBIs in just 87 games en route to helping the Marlins win the World Series. He switched back to third base for the 2006-07 seasons, but he lasted only 14 games at the hot corner after being traded to Detroit before the '08 campaign. After making five errors in only 50 total chances, the Tigers moved Cabrera to first base, where he would remain until the arrival of Prince Fielder in '12. Cabrera spent two seasons at third before moving back to first when Detroit traded Fielder to Texas following the '13 season.
    The motivation for moving Fielder in part was to preserve Cabrera's bat and give him a position to play after trading Prince. Obviously his defense was also a bigger part of the reason why they moved Cabrera off 3rd base but that type of dynamic bat doesn't stay at 3rd base long term regardless. If you do, you're just shortening that player's prime.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,138
    As short stops age they lose mobility and range they move to 3rd which requires a lot less. Alex Rodriguez was a great short stop and moved to 3rd base he put on lots of muscle because he didn't need to be as mobile as he was at short. I believe he even said himself he wouldn't be able to play short even if asked for an extended period of time.

    Short stops move to 3rd and if they are not a heavy hitter they move to 2nd sometimes. Catchers go to 1st base. 3rd basemen make the change to 1st once they become a defensive liability later in their career.

    The hardest positions I believe are catcher short stop and then centerfield

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    19,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemoes View Post
    As short stops age they lose mobility and range they move to 3rd which requires a lot less. Alex Rodriguez was a great short stop and moved to 3rd base he put on lots of muscle because he didn't need to be as mobile as he was at short. I believe he even said himself he wouldn't be able to play short even if asked for an extended period of time.

    Short stops move to 3rd and if they are not a heavy hitter they move to 2nd sometimes. Catchers go to 1st base. 3rd basemen make the change to 1st once they become a defensive liability later in their career.

    The hardest positions I believe are catcher short stop and then centerfield
    That had been my feeling from the start.




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    19,388
    Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    The reason the Tigers moved Miggy off 3B was quite simply because he SUCKED and to make room for Fielder, not to preserve his bat. Originally signed as a shortstop at the age of 16, Cabrera instead spent his first three big league seasons primarily in the Marlins' outfield due to surrounding circumstances. With the 2003 Marlins getting little to no offensive production in left field -- and Mike Lowell in the midst of his second straight All-Star campaign at third base -- the club elected to promote Cabrera and his highly touted bat directly from Double-A Carolina in an attempt to fill the void. He made his Major League debut in left field on June 20, 2003, after making only three outfield appearances in the Minors.
    Though his defense was understandably less than ideal, Cabrera notched 12 homers and 62 RBIs in just 87 games en route to helping the Marlins win the World Series. He switched back to third base for the 2006-07 seasons, but he lasted only 14 games at the hot corner after being traded to Detroit before the '08 campaign. After making five errors in only 50 total chances, the Tigers moved Cabrera to first base, where he would remain until the arrival of Prince Fielder in '12. Cabrera spent two seasons at third before moving back to first when Detroit traded Fielder to Texas following the '13 season.
    I wonder if there is a record of how many bunt singles were attempted with Miggy at third.
    If I were a hitter with any speed, I would put one right down the third baseline. If I were a manager, i would tell guys to do it, so Muggy had to run. lol




    You see what you want to see and you hear what you want to hear.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    I wonder if there is a record of how many bunt singles were attempted with Miggy at third.
    If I were a hitter with any speed, I would put one right down the third baseline. If I were a manager, i would tell guys to do it, so Muggy had to run. lol
    I'm sure one of the stat sights would have that info.

    I'm a Miggy fan, don't want to sound like I'm, bashing him. Man can hit a ball. Not quite as adept at catching it. I am in agreement with you and previous poster. SS certainly more demanding than 3B. You need quickness and reflex, but not as much range. SS you need all three.
    “Farts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” — Aldous Huxley
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein



Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •