Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Giants Re-sign G John Jerry

BREAKING NEWS: OG John Jerry re-signs with the Giants. 3yrs years, $10 million - per Pro Football Talk
    He's fine, but we need a big upgrade at some point....something bigger than Fluker.

Damn it. We needed new faces.

He started all our games last year and knows the system. This is a solid move.

At least now we can enter the draft from basically where we were last year instead of having holes to begin with.

He was good in pass protection, decent in the run game. No problems with the deal.

Sounds like 4.5 million guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    He was good in pass protection, decent in the run game. No problems with the deal.

Sounds like 4.5 million guaranteed.
    Strangely enough I felt like his run game kind of degressed as the season went on... Hopefully he goes back to fat camp and gets back to his early season form, then he's fine enough... Either way, these Fluker / Jerry moves are fine, they create necessary competition and depth at the line. If we could somehow grab a kind of respectable LT to compete with Flowers I'd be kind of satisfied

Well, I can't say that I particularly like how they went about it, but if they end up drafting a T, at least my wish of not handing out any starting spot to Flowers and have him battle it out instead has been granted.

I think I like this. As is our line is probably...

Flowers-Pugh-Richburg-Jerry-Fluker

with Hart battling for....well, really ANY of LT, RG or RT.

So we have 6 experienced guys and that allows them to be more flexible in the draft. That is, they don't HAVE TO eye down a RT or a LT or a RG....they can target the BPA at oline and if they need time to develop, we can get by with this group.

I wasn't thrilled with Flowers at LT last year, but I can't say its a lost cause. The healthier Pugh was, the better he played, so maybe there's some hope here. And I know I said this all last season, but the one thing that I like is that most of Flowers issues were in his head. Discipline and technique which he can easily improve if he busts his *** this offseason. And I'm sure he will....he may be built like an ideal RG or RT, but that man wants some LT money in his future, I have no doubt.

So, while I still think Flowers belongs at RT (and he'd be an all pro RT), I don't think its a terrible situation where we are right now, with a solid blocking FB/TE pick up and Marshall.

Side note: I noticed a few teams (including us) last season using more and more 6 olineman packages and not just on short yardage rushing downs. B Jones came in as an extra lineman or even FB in some cases.

With our new WR trio and the elusiveness of Vereen and Perkins.....F it, let's go 6 linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I think I like this. As is our line is probably...

Flowers-Pugh-Richburg-Jerry-Fluker

with Hart battling for....well, really ANY of LT, RG or RT.

So we have 6 experienced guys and that allows them to be more flexible in the draft. That is, they don't HAVE TO eye down a RT or a LT or a RG....they can target the BPA at oline and if they need time to develop, we can get by with this group.

I wasn't thrilled with Flowers at LT last year, but I can't say its a lost cause. The healthier Pugh was, the better he played, so maybe there's some hope here. And I know I said this all last season, but the one thing that I like is that most of Flowers issues were in his head. Discipline and technique which he can easily improve if he busts his *** this offseason. And I'm sure he will....he may be built like an ideal RG or RT, but that man wants some LT money in his future, I have no doubt.

So, while I still think Flowers belongs at RT (and he'd be an all pro RT), I don't think its a terrible situation where we are right now, with a solid blocking FB/TE pick up and Marshall.

Side note: I noticed a few teams (including us) last season using more and more 6 olineman packages and not just on short yardage rushing downs. B Jones came in as an extra lineman or even FB in some cases.

With our new WR trio and the elusiveness of Vereen and Perkins.....F it, let's go 6 linemen.

What If!
    Flowers-Fluker-Richburg-Jerry-Pugh
    Pass Protection stronger on the right side
    Always have the TE chip left .
    Can run power to the left

Quote Originally Posted by Bburns View Post
    What If!
    Flowers-Fluker-Richburg-Jerry-Pugh
    Pass Protection stronger on the right side
    Always have the TE chip left .
    Can run power to the left
    That'd be cool. I'd prefer to flip Pugh and Flowers. I know Pugh's reach is an issue, but his speed and technique is far better to handle the blind side.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    That'd be cool. I'd prefer to flip Pugh and Flowers. I know Pugh's reach is an issue, but his speed and technique is far better to handle the blind side.
    At this point i'd be fine with Eli playing LT

We need to upgrade the line and we can through the draft because our depth/starters are not great
    Flowers/Jerry/Hart . I hope jones pushed for RG. It wasn't alot of playing time but when he did pull on power plays it was a good run. Hope Fluker can play RT

Honestly we will probably draft a DE (someone we all think is a reach)
    Stay Status Quo with the O-Line

Yeah I'm with ya. I do think though that too many people just lean on the draft.

There's no guarantee that the best oline option will be there at our pick, no guarantee that we could pull off a trade to get the guy we want, no guarantee that he'd be NFL-ready, so its important to get comfortable with who we have right now....because I don't think it's going to change that much before the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Giants-NL-3 View Post
    Strangely enough I felt like his run game kind of degressed as the season went on... Hopefully he goes back to fat camp and gets back to his early season form, then he's fine enough... Either way, these Fluker / Jerry moves are fine, they create necessary competition and depth at the line. If we could somehow grab a kind of respectable LT to compete with Flowers I'd be kind of satisfied
    Compared to previous seasons, his run game improved. Wasn't great, but better then past years.