Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 93 of 102 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 1526

Thread: Fake News

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    That’s a bull**** piece. I don’t like Trump AT ALL but he’s nowhere close to those folks. If you restrict yourself to civilized countries (those not in the middle east and Eastern Europe) then MAYBE. But it’s still a stretch.

Best to leave the reporting to folks not from Huffington Post.
    The study was done by the Committee to Protect Journalists, an American independent non-profit, non-governmental organization, not the Huffington Post
    https://cpj.org/blog/2018/01/press-o...ews-fakies.php
    It's for what he is doing indirectly, he's setting a world wide trend of fake news.

The United States, with its First Amendment protection for a free press, has long stood as a beacon for independent media around the world. While previous U.S. presidents have each criticized the press to some degree, they have also made public commitments to uphold its essential role in democracy, at home and abroad. Trump, by contrast, has consistently undermined domestic news outlets and declined to publicly raise freedom of the press with repressive leaders such as Xi, Erdoğan, and Sisi. Authorities in China, Syria, and Russia have adopted Trump's "fake news" epithet, and Erdoğan has applauded at least one of his verbal attacks on journalists. Under Trump's administration, the Department of Justice has failed to commit to guidelines intended to protect journalists' sources, and the State Department has proposed to cut funding for international organizations that help buttress international norms in support of free expression. As Trump and other Western powers fail to pressure the world's most repressive leaders into improving the climate for press freedom, the number of journalists in prison globally is at a record high.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 01-10-2018 at 09:12 PM.

This is how politicians should handle it when politicians lie and make **** up about certain groups of people:

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/10/...d-no-go-zones/
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    This is how politicians should handle it when politicians lie and make **** up about certain groups of people:

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/10/...d-no-go-zones/
    Don't **** with the DUTCH. They will kick you with those wooden shoes. Or is that the Danish. **** my US primary education!

PS I am an 8th Danish (Hans Christian Anderson is my great great great great uncle) and an 8th dutch and still confuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Since you seem to think there should only be a true/false determination for statements, do you believe this statement is true or false?

America is the highest taxed nation in the world
    I didn't say there should only be true or false. I said with many options it is easier to manipulate. that would easier whether it was Liberal fact checking or Conservative fact checking, it's easier to spin different to influence/manipulate readers.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin13697 View Post
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b003133ecc3439
    Trump named World's number one oppressor of Press Freedom by the Committee to Protect Journalists.
    That’s a bull**** piece. I don’t like Trump AT ALL but he’s nowhere close to those folks. If you restrict yourself to civilized countries (those not in the middle east and Eastern Europe) then MAYBE. But it’s still a stretch.

Best to leave the reporting to folks not from Huffington Post.
    I saw this headline and I have to question had I posted it would reactions be different.

I didn't read the article but does this include past world leaders, like past American Presidents? Trump hasn't even been the worst in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/o...ank-obama.html

If Donald Trump Targets Journalists, Thank Obama

By JAMES RISENDEC. 30, 2016
    partial quote..
    Criticism of Mr. Obama’s stance on press freedom, government transparency and secrecy is hotly disputed by the White House, but many journalism groups say the record is clear. Over the past eight years, the administration has prosecuted nine cases involving whistle-blowers and leakers, compared with only three by all previous administrations combined. It has repeatedly used the Espionage Act, a relic of World War I-era red-baiting, not to prosecute spies but to go after government officials who talked to journalists.

Under Mr. Obama, the Justice Department and the F.B.I. have spied on reporters by monitoring their phone records, labeled one journalist an unindicted co-conspirator in a criminal case for simply doing reporting and issued subpoenas to other reporters to try to force them to reveal their sources and testify in criminal cases.

I experienced this pressure firsthand when the administration tried to compel me to testify to reveal my confidential sources in a criminal leak investigation. The Justice Department finally relented — even though it had already won a seven-year court battle that went all the way to the Supreme Court to force me to testify — most likely because they feared the negative publicity that would come from sending a New York Times reporter to jail.

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

“A SAFE SPACE FOR TRUMP”: INSIDE THE FEEDBACK LOOP BETWEEN THE PRESIDENT AND FOX NEWS

With Roger Ailes gone, the network’s chief de-facto programmer is the president. “He has the same embattled view as a typical Fox viewer.”

In early December, when the news broke that Rupert Murdoch was preparing to sell his movie studio and television assets to Disney, Donald Trump placed an urgent call to the 86-year-old mogul. While Fox News was not one of Murdoch’s assets included in the Disney deal, some observers were speculating that as he passed the torch to his more liberal sons, they might unload the network—a prospect that deeply concerned Trump. According to a person briefed on the conversation, Trump was relieved when Murdoch assured him that he would not be selling Fox News.

While Fox News remains immensely profitable, generating more than $1.5 billion for Murdoch’s empire, there’s an argument to be made that now, at Peak Trump, would be the time to sell. The cable-television industry continues to be buffeted by cord cutting and the rise of streaming competitors. But, ironically, Trump highlights a deeper problem at Fox news. In the post-Roger Ailes era, the network doesn’t have a programming Svengali to develop new story lines. “There’s absolutely no direction,” one Fox host told me. Without Ailes’s daily talking points to guide them, producers are freer than ever before to program their shows, and the surest path to ratings success is airing stories that appeal to Trump’s most fervent supporters. Fox may be Trump’s safe space, but Trump is Fox’s safe space, too. It’s a circular feedback loop.

According to conversations in recent days with current and former Fox executives, producers, and hosts, Trump looms almost as large in the minds of employees as Ailes did. Fox hosts regularly get calls from Trump about segments he likes—or doesn’t. “When you worked at Fox, you knew that at any moment Roger Ailes was watching. Every day was like a job interview with Ailes. Now it’s the same way for Trump,” says a veteran Fox News contributor. According to sources, Trump doesn’t explicitly dictate talking points the way Ailes did, but over time, the effect can be similar. “What he usually does is he’ll call after a show and say, ‘I really enjoyed that,’” a former Fox anchor told me. “The highest compliment is, ‘I really learned something.’ Then you know he got a new policy idea.” But knowing Trump always could be tuning in means the network is being programmed for an audience of one. “He has the same embattled view as a typical Fox viewer—that ‘the liberal elites hate me; they’re trying to bring me down,’” an executive said.

This dynamic makes it extremely complicated to cover the administration’s near-constant conflagrations. “They don’t want to see stuff about Michael Wolff. It’s depressing,” one staffer said, speaking about how the network struggled to cover the frenzy around Fire and Fury. One sure strategy has been to follow Trump’s lead and continue attacking the Clintons. Since becoming president, Trump has tweeted about Hillary Clinton about 70 times. Trump brought up Hillary multiple times at a joint press conference with the Norwegian prime minister on January 10. One Fox staffer explained that the anti-Hillary segments rate almost higher than anything else the network programs. “The audience eats up anything about Hillary,” the staffer said. Fox will soon debut a new weekly documentary series called Scandalous. The subject of the first episode: the Clintons.

The hugely successful alliance is mostly transactional—privately, many at the network have a nuanced view of the president. “He’s sort of viewed as this crazy person who calls all the time,” the Fox executive said. During the early stages of the Republican primary, Fox News was one of Trump’s chief antagonists. Murdoch championed comprehensive immigration reform and was horrified by Trump’s nativist rhetoric, sources told me. I reported how, shortly before the first G.O.P. primary debate, Murdoch told Ailes to prevent Trump from getting the nomination. But once Trump became the nominee, the network quickly fell into line. It was simply a programming play. Fox producers saw ratings drop whenever something negative about Trump was said on air. Since then, Fox has shed prominent Trump critics like Megyn Kelly, George Will, and Rich Lowry, while bulking up on pro-Trump voices such as Seb Gorka, Laura Ingraham, and Mark Levin. “The network has become a safe space for Trump fans,” said an executive. Those who didn’t get on board felt the pressure. Last spring, Bob Beckel, a former co-host of The Five and vocal Trump detractor, found an unsigned note in his office telling him to back off Trump, a Fox source told me. On the news side, journalists seem to have a somewhat freer hand. Chris Wallace and Shepard Smith have been skeptical in their Trump coverage.

It may seem counter-intuitive, but it’s likely that if Ailes was still running Fox, the network wouldn’t function as state TV. While Ailes was a committed right-winger—I’ve reported how he privately wanted Navy SEALs to shoot immigrants crossing the southern border—he was smart enough to recognize that Fox’s power was maximized if the network appeared to be fair and balanced, even though it wasn’t. For instance, in the run-up to the 2000 election, Fox ran a story about George W. Bush’s previous drunk-driving arrest. (It’s impossible to see Fox airing a similarly damaging story today.) When Fox got heat for helping to create the Tea Party during Obama’s first term, Ailes told producers to tone down the Tea Party coverage. Propaganda works best when the audience doesn’t feel they’re getting it.

Now, some prominent voices at Fox openly seem to be aiding the Trump agenda. In recent months, hosts such Sean Hannity, Jesse Watters, and Jeanine Pirro have promoted wild conspiracy theories about Trump being the victim of an F.B.I.-led coup. In December, The New York Times reported that Pirro had a one-hour Oval Office meeting with Trump where she denounced Special Prosecutor Robert Mueller and Attorney General Jeff Sessions. If Pirro sometimes appeared to be lobbying for a White House job, it’s possibly because she’d wanted one. A few days after Trump won the election, Pirro walked out of the makeup room at Fox and declared, “I really want a job in this administration,” according to a person who witnessed the remark. Pirro did not respond to a request for comment.

It’s frustrating to some inside Fox that the network is now seen as the propaganda wing of Trump’s White House and lacks a post-Trump programming strategy. “It’s freaky to see him tweeting at Fox & Friends,” one staffer said. “That doesn’t help us. We’re not state television.”
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...t-and-fox-news

If I were in the media and a politician liked what I was saying, I would be concerned. We can be friendly but we’re not supposed to be allies. It’s like Congress. Even if the House, Senate, and president are the same party; they are still SUPPOSED to be checks on one another.

Anyone who disagrees with Trump is just 'Anti Trump',
    is the same way anyone who criticized Obama was racist, Their bases can't be penetrated.

Hillary can still be president!

https://twitter.com/newsweek/status/953956445657161728

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

That's an interesting theory they have there.
    Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Lol

Oh god no. Just. No.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

Newsweek's descent from a middle-brow political magazine marketed as left of Time into the Buzzfeed of politics weeklys has been something to witness, if you've been around long enough to know what they used to be. Not that it was ever great but I did have a subscription for a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Newsweek's descent from a middle-brow political magazine marketed as left of Time into the Buzzfeed of politics weeklys has been something to witness, if you've been around long enough to know what they used to be. Not that it was ever great but I did have a subscription for a little bit.
    Agreed. It's really a shame because they used to be a pretty good source. Bloomberg Business Week is a far better weekly mag now, but Trump pushed them just a tad left of center than they used to be.

2 stories from CNN. one October 2016, the other December 2016..

This is CNN. facts first.

the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    2 stories from CNN. one October 2016, the other December 2016..

This is CNN. facts first.
    The 2nd is an opinion piece.

You really still don't get the difference do you?

Page 93 of 102 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast