Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Flat Earth

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Posts
    10,033
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I have no clue... I don't necessarily believe it. Just thought it raised some interesting questions.

    For example, how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth? There is an equation for determining how far down an object should drop out of sight.
    Then why not ask in a thread "how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth?" instead of coming into the science thread and dropping a "Flat earth.... Discuss"

    Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    East of the Sun, West of the Moon
    Posts
    24,436
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I have no clue... I don't necessarily believe it. Just thought it raised some interesting questions.

    For example, how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth? There is an equation for determining how far down an object should drop out of sight.
    This?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    26,163
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Then why not ask in a thread "how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth?" instead of coming into the science thread and dropping a "Flat earth.... Discuss"
    don't get smug Flip. People all around the globe believe the earth is flat
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,880
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Where?
    Uhhhhhhh... Space.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!






    *PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    23,880
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Where?
    Google "NASA Live Feed From Space" and you can find numerous links that show you.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!






    *PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    2,465
    Some believe in the hollow Earth theory, in which Earth is round but hollow, with possibly strange intelligent beings living inside. This thinking was more popular in the 1800s than it is now.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    68,287
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    Some believe in the hollow Earth theory, in which Earth is round but hollow, with possibly strange intelligent beings living inside. This thinking was more popular in the 1800s than it is now.
    Curious what evidence was ever used to support that?

    It's obviously not true. I mean, for one thing: gravity.
    this my sig

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    2,465
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Curious what evidence was ever used to support that?
    It was mostly imagination. {LOL}

    It's obviously not true. I mean, for one thing: gravity.
    Don't let science get in the way of fun and wild ideas.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    19,116
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    It was mostly imagination. {LOL}



    Don't let science get in the way of fun and wild ideas.
    Or maybe don't let fun n wild ideas get in the way of science..?

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    27,932
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    The world is not flat because if you start at the equator and fly due east or west in a straight line you will at some point end where you started. Well, that and plenty of other reasons.
    How do you know that isn't an illusion created by God?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The Manhattan, NYC
    Posts
    27,932
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Flat Earth theory is the theory that the earth is actually a disk with the North Pole being the center of the disk. The South Pole is not actually a Pole but is the outer edge of the disk. Therefore, if you traveled east you would still end up at the place you started.
    That makes total sense. It explains why planes fly through the north and south polar regions instead of going in a straight line on long flights.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    19,116
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Flat Earth theory is the theory that the earth is actually a disk with the North Pole being the center of the disk. The South Pole is not actually a Pole but is the outer edge of the disk. Therefore, if you traveled east you would still end up at the place you started.
    So what is beyond the outer edge of the disk? Absolute zero?

    It works conceptually on a map, but I don't see how that could translate to real life
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  13. #28
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    15,686
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    So what is beyond the outer edge of the disk? Absolute zero?

    It works conceptually on a map, but I don't see how that could translate to real life
    The only people to ever make it to the edge fell off and thus, we have no record of it.
    Anthony Mantha



    Spoil you with 2 angles baby boo


  14. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Rockford IL
    Posts
    2,465
    Flat or round, if you're sailing you have to watch out for giant sea monsters. The old maps have little pictures of serpents drawn on them as a warning. Sometimes they eat entire cruise ships

    George Costanza: "Only 50 people died? That's no tragedy! How many people usually die on cruises? 20? 30?"

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsbruh
    Posts
    68,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    How do you know that isn't an illusion created by God?



    I don't know why I'm seriously entertaining this, but in regards to The20thK's theory, how do we explain that nothing else that we can see in space looks like this hypothesized disk? Every other planet is clearly, well, not flat. We're just special?

    Moreover, why do people want to believe the Earth is flat. There's no rational way to end up believing that (because it's irrational) unless you really want it to be true. So why?
    this my sig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •