Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Earth

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I have no clue... I don't necessarily believe it. Just thought it raised some interesting questions.

For example, how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth? There is an equation for determining how far down an object should drop out of sight.
    Then why not ask in a thread "how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth?" instead of coming into the science thread and dropping a "Flat earth.... Discuss"

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

I have no clue... I don't necessarily believe it. Just thought it raised some interesting questions.

For example, how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth? There is an equation for determining how far down an object should drop out of sight.
    This?
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Then why not ask in a thread "how is possible to see objects, with the help of optics, from distances that should be beyond our view due to the spherical shape of the earth?" instead of coming into the science thread and dropping a "Flat earth.... Discuss"
    don't get smug Flip. People all around the globe believe the earth is flat

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Where?
    Uhhhhhhh... Space.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Where?
    Google "NASA Live Feed From Space" and you can find numerous links that show you.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Some believe in the hollow Earth theory, in which Earth is round but hollow, with possibly strange intelligent beings living inside. This thinking was more popular in the 1800s than it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    Some believe in the hollow Earth theory, in which Earth is round but hollow, with possibly strange intelligent beings living inside. This thinking was more popular in the 1800s than it is now.
    Curious what evidence was ever used to support that?

It's obviously not true. I mean, for one thing: gravity.
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by ManRam View Post
    Curious what evidence was ever used to support that?
    It was mostly imagination. {LOL}

It's obviously not true. I mean, for one thing: gravity.
    Don't let science get in the way of fun and wild ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
    It was mostly imagination. {LOL}

Don't let science get in the way of fun and wild ideas.
    Or maybe don't let fun n wild ideas get in the way of science..?

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    The world is not flat because if you start at the equator and fly due east or west in a straight line you will at some point end where you started. Well, that and plenty of other reasons.
    How do you know that isn't an illusion created by God?

Flat Earth theory is the theory that the earth is actually a disk with the North Pole being the center of the disk. The South Pole is not actually a Pole but is the outer edge of the disk. Therefore, if you traveled east you would still end up at the place you started.
    That makes total sense. It explains why planes fly through the north and south polar regions instead of going in a straight line on long flights.

Flat Earth theory is the theory that the earth is actually a disk with the North Pole being the center of the disk. The South Pole is not actually a Pole but is the outer edge of the disk. Therefore, if you traveled east you would still end up at the place you started.
    So what is beyond the outer edge of the disk? Absolute zero?

It works conceptually on a map, but I don't see how that could translate to real life
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    So what is beyond the outer edge of the disk? Absolute zero?

It works conceptually on a map, but I don't see how that could translate to real life
    The only people to ever make it to the edge fell off and thus, we have no record of it.
    Anthony Mantha

Spoil you with 2 angles baby boo

Flat or round, if you're sailing you have to watch out for giant sea monsters. The old maps have little pictures of serpents drawn on them as a warning. Sometimes they eat entire cruise ships

George Costanza: "Only 50 people died? That's no tragedy! How many people usually die on cruises? 20? 30?"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    How do you know that isn't an illusion created by God?

I don't know why I'm seriously entertaining this, but in regards to The20thK's theory, how do we explain that nothing else that we can see in space looks like this hypothesized disk? Every other planet is clearly, well, not flat. We're just special?

Moreover, why do people want to believe the Earth is flat. There's no rational way to end up believing that (because it's irrational) unless you really want it to be true. So why?
    this my sig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast