Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Not that crazy when you look at the teams he's been on. Best shot was Denver but McDaniels dismantled that team.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    I think people make too big a deal out of the "Eli needs a big target" thing. He's done fine with guys as little as Steve Smith, even when he moved to the outside on plays.

Eli needs 3 things from his WRs (as most QBs do):
    1 - Catching radius. Doesn't matter if you're 6'4 or 5'8 with the ability to jump, you need a wide range to allow room for error. Guys like OBJ and Nicks may not have been as tall as Plax, but they play big.

2- Smart. Eli is a details guy. You have to see what he sees, make the reads he expects and be a precision route runner.

3 - Trustworthy. It's never mattered how good a WR is. If you start doing things like stopping on routes, missing a hot, dropping passes....Eli is very quick to move on to another target and has no problem eyeing down that same target over and over.

All these reasons are why we haven't had a reliable TE since Ballard. Bennet was a playmaker, but he wasn't smart and trustworthy. Had his fair share of poor routes and drops. But he could at least block and we haven't had a 2-way TE recently.
    I don't think this is the issue. I've never much cared about the size of guys for catching, but the big guys can play a bit more of a physical game. That's kind of what we've been lacking. We've been killing guys on speed. Having a tall physical guy like Marshall makes us very difficult to guard in the redzone and we all know that if you're going to run 15 fade calls in the redzone, it might as well be to a tall physical receiver like Marshall rather than Bobby Rainey.

To me this is about adding a player that fits with our red zone play calling. While it's sweet to have OBJ jump over big corners, that's a job for the big boys.

But anyway I'm thrilled with this move. Get anyone that can play LT and the passing attack will be strong.

LT & DT are the two biggest holes in my opinion. Fix those and we're dangerous on both sides of the ball.

Add a good blocking TE and then a better RB to pair with Perkins and it puts the team over the top.

You'd think that, right?
    But Marshall said today he does not plan on doing Inside the NFL this season.
    - Art Stapleton
    the Orlando Magic select.....Dennis Smith Jr ,Guard from North Carolina State university

Awesome signing. Got that Plax/Nicks target who can block, be a great redzone target, and can be thrown open because of his size. Him, Odell, and Shepard are going to get a lot of opportunities to make plays because opposing defenses can't double everyone.

But if Eli has no time it won't matter. The next main focus has to be OLine, either through the draft or through FA. Gotta find a way to move Flowers over to the right side or inside.

Really intrigued to see what happens with JPP long term, hopefully we can get his cap number down to get after an Olineman like Whitworth, although I really doubt we can afford him, or even bring back Hankins.

Also looks like Harris may either be cut or restructured. I'm not exactly happy about him getting cut but he can be replaced. For as good as he was as a gunner, he was not the returner I thought he'd be.

We're going into the draft with fewer holes than I can remember. This is definitely an exciting time to be a Giants fan because Reese is going all-in on competing the next couple years with Eli. Let's make sure he doesn't die with a couple Olinemen, draft a TE or sign Fasano, and see what the offense can do.

That also means McAdoo can't give up on a 1st down after a false start or holding and can't just call the same 10 plays every game, he needs to go back to that 2015-2016 playcalling when we were one of the most explosive offenses in the game

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    We needed another wr ....he's a big target the can run after the catch and absorb punishing hits. He tends to drop passes at times so he'll fit right in.

I trust Jerry Reese, if he liked BM becoming a Giant, I'm good with it. He and Odell should get along great because they're both crazy as ****.

We need a tight end though....Kevin Boss type guy that can find the holes in the defense.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

Free Agent TE Martellus Bennett and the Giants have "mutual" interest.
    the Orlando Magic select.....Dennis Smith Jr ,Guard from North Carolina State university

Brandon Marshall: 'They definitely didn't offer me the most money. Probably the least money. ... It's all about winning a championship.'
    Let's see how this turns out.

It's a great signing for you guys. Marshall is a beast.
    World Championships

New York Mets: 1969, 1986
    Miracle Mets

New York Jets: 1968
    Super Bowl III

Brooklyn Nets: 1974, 1976
    Dr. J (ABA)

New York Islanders: 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983
    Potvin's Cups

Quote Originally Posted by yfern328 View Post
    I don't think this is the issue. I've never much cared about the size of guys for catching, but the big guys can play a bit more of a physical game. That's kind of what we've been lacking. We've been killing guys on speed. Having a tall physical guy like Marshall makes us very difficult to guard in the redzone and we all know that if you're going to run 15 fade calls in the redzone, it might as well be to a tall physical receiver like Marshall rather than Bobby Rainey.

To me this is about adding a player that fits with our red zone play calling. While it's sweet to have OBJ jump over big corners, that's a job for the big boys.
    That's fair. Look I'm not going to say size is NO CONCERN, but my point is that ever since Plax left its been far overblown by Giants fans who thought for sure Ramses Barden was gonna be Eli's new best friend just because he was 6'6. Then little Cruz rips up the field instead. OBJ and Shep were outjumping DBs in the red zone without a problem....bigger body there doesn't mean as much as the other traits I mentioned (and first and foremost, a better gameplan from McAdoo). Corner fades? Sure I'll take a bigger WR. But it's far less important of a red zone skill when you watch a guy like OBJ make the right reads and find space in the red zone. The jump balls to Plax in the endzone, in even double and triple coverage, were great, but I'm just as sold on OBJ finding room at the 5 yard line and then cathing-and-running it through space OR Shepard reading a pick from an outside WR and breaking to the post or outside for a score.

I do agree it'd be good to have a more physical guy like him and especially in the run game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    Agreed with B-Marsh. He is an excellent addition to this team on paper. The OL, RB, and TE spots are the only things needing upgrades. OL is the easiest thing to address imo. So many options.
    Improving the offensive line is the most important thing for us. It improves us on both sides of the ball. It makes our offense more balanced. It also helps us dominate time of position, which helps our defense because we keep the opposing teams offense off the field. The cowboys defense looks better than what it is because they run the ball so much and dominate time of position.

Brandon Marshall's contract actually 2 years $11 million. Has $5 million gtd. Counts $4.5M vs cap. Nothing gtd year 2. So may be 1-year deal

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Brandon Marshall's contract actually 2 years $11 million. Has $5 million gtd. Counts $4.5M vs cap. Nothing gtd year 2. So may be 1-year deal
    Wow he REALLY wanted to stay in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Wow he REALLY wanted to stay in NY.
    Believe cap space was at 12.8 before the 4.5 hit from Marshall and whatever the hit is with Darkwa.

So I guess between 7-8 million currently. So unless some restructures are coming out soon, and doesn't sound like JPP and Giants are close to a long term, not much space at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Believe cap space was at 12.8 before the 4.5 hit from Marshall and whatever the hit is with Darkwa.

So I guess between 7-8 million currently. So unless some restructures are coming out soon, and doesn't sound like JPP and Giants are close to a long term, not much space at all.
    I don't recall any Giants who played through a tag. It's almost always used by NYG as a means to buy time while the player watches the market. I remember Jacobs being that way for example. I gotta believe once Campbell lands somewhere, they'll have their numbers to work with and figure it out.

JPP's tag is $15m right? Spotrac is showing $16.9m, so not sure whats right, but that's insane even for JPP. Can't take that kind of cap hit with needs on oline, etc.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast