Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland…

Portland…

What can they do to get better?

Damian Lillard and C.J McCollum have the skill set offensively and both players have shown to be able to knock down BIG shots in pressure moments.

Is it as simple as making a move for a big man or two?

Blake Griffin (free agency?)… It could happen if Portland could trade for a defensive center.
    Andre Drummond (trade?)
    Brook Lopez (trade?)
    Nikola Mirotic
    Channing Frye
    Tiago Splitter
    David Lee (if he opts out)

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

They have a ridiculous amount of money on some bad contracts. Gonna be tough for them to do much.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

Nurkic has played well since going to Portland. Its the amount of terrible contracts they have in Crabbe, Turner etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    What can they do to get better?

Damian Lillard and C.J McCollum have the skill set offensively and both players have shown to be able to knock down BIG shots in pressure moments.

Is it as simple as making a move for a big man or two?

Blake Griffin (free agency?)… It could happen if Portland could trade for a defensive center.
    Andre Drummond (trade?)
    Brook Lopez (trade?)
    Nikola Mirotic
    Channing Frye
    Tiago Splitter
    David Lee (if he opts out)
    They just did it with the Plumlee trade.
    Short Cut, Draw Blood

Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyHumph View Post
    They just did it with the Plumlee trade.

If thats the case, they need to go into rebuilding mode then.

They have two very nice pieces & it would be a shame if they couldn't build this team up, to at least make it to the WCF in the next 2 to 3yrs.

They need to make a move, to catchup to the Spurs.... GS is toooo far ahead because of KD joining Warriors.

As a rookie Micheal Beasley averaged 13.9pts per game on .472 shooting. Do you know how many times Kobe Bryant or Tracy Mcgrady shot at that percent or better? Never in there whole careers. If Beas can be what he was when he was a rookie (he won't hell be better) then the heat are coming away with another steal.

They need Damian Lillard to play defense... Or try to play defense... Or learn to play defense... He isnt IT or Harden bad but its bad... Also those ****ing contracts man... This is why I am all for tanking... mid tier teams cant jump up to legit contenders without everything falling into place because superstars wanting to play with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    They need Damian Lillard to play defense... Or try to play defense... Or learn to play defense... He isnt IT or Harden bad but its bad... Also those ****ing contracts man... This is why I am all for tanking... mid tier teams cant jump up to legit contenders without everything falling into place because superstars wanting to play with each other.
    They did what the Suns did ... finish a season stronger than expected then massively overpay to keep them together.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

keep the team together.... Nurkic is a beast, can't believe DEN traded him for Plumlee AND added a 1st.

Nurkic
    Lillard
    CJ

is a great trio, but they have to learn to play together and develop chemistry. They have good role players too, but no one has patience these days to allow a team to grow together.

For the next 1-2 years, they is what they is. They spent a ridiculous amount of money to retain a roster that overachieved last year.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

I think Nurkic was a good add for them. I don't know what they can do as they are to take the next step though.
    2015 Adopt-a-Packer: Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

Needed to trade McCollum or Lillard. That's like having two Kyrie Irvings in your backcourt. You can do great things with one, but two will destroy the defense.

Obviously there's more issues as well.

BELIEVELAND WE CHAMPS!!! 2016!!!

Lillard and McCollum should not start together. They're both good enough to run the offense and hit big shots, but together they're the worst defensive starting back court in the NBA. They'd work great if McCollum was willing to be a super-sub like Ginobili. But I don't see that happening, with how good he is.
    It would take a lot coming back, but I would trade either of them for a younger player with more two-way promise — Exum, Hood, Wiggins, Maker, Brogdon, etc. Portland really screwed up by not going for Noel.
    I would start Crabbe at shooting guard. He got paid, so start the guy and give him the reps to hopefully develop. We already know he can shoot, and he has more defensive promise than Lillard or McCollum.
    Nurkic is providing some promise, although doing well at this point likely means a crappier first-round pick or a first-round drubbing by Golden State. I like Nurkic's passing, defensive ability. And at only 22 years old, he could be a keeper.
    I also think the Blazers should trade Aminu, especially with the development of Harkless.
    Last edited by mrblisterdundee; 03-08-2017 at 02:46 PM.

i really cant add anything that was already said, as mentioned tons of bad contracts. I am more curious about IF Portland kept Batum and LMA where would they be at now?

First Sim League Title!

What can Portland do? The answer is easy: keep making sneaky good trades that incrementally improve the team like the Nurkic deal.

Since Nurkic arrived Portland's Drtg is 99 which would be best in the league for the full season. I don't for a second believe Portland keeps up such great defensive play but he's clearly given them a boost defensively.

We have a lot of good pieces, we have a lot of bad contracts. Realistically there is no chance they catch the Warriors and the chances of them catching the Spurs is remote. They can given some other good moves make it up to the Houston/Utah/LAC level.

Consider in Houston's case they went to the WCF, dropped back down to earth, and are now back to a top 3 team in the conference. In the same way the Blazers overacted to one year (last year) when we overachieved), it would be equally as stupid to overreact to this one year we have underachieved.

Olshey has shown he is a good drafter and trader, if we hit on a couple picks or trades we are right there. Trying to completely tear it down is a bad move at this point. Memphis won't be sustaining it's play for many more years and Utah may lose Gordon to Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblisterdundee View Post
    Lillard and McCollum should not start together. They're both good enough to run the offense and hit big shots, but together they're the worst defensive starting back court in the NBA. They'd work great if McCollum was willing to be a super-sub like Ginobili. But I don't see that happening, with how good he is.
    It would take a lot coming back, but I would trade either of them for a younger player with more two-way promise — Exum, Hood, Wiggins, Maker, Brogdon, etc. Portland really screwed up by not going for Noel.
    I would start Crabbe at shooting guard. He got paid, so start the guy and give him the reps to hopefully develop. We already know he can shoot, and he has more defensive promise than Lillard or McCollum.
    Nurkic is providing some promise, although doing well at this point likely means a crappier first-round pick or a first-round drubbing by Golden State. I like Nurkic's passing, defensive ability. And at only 22 years old, he could be a keeper.
    I also think the Blazers should trade Aminu, especially with the development of Harkless.

On the money with that one. Noel could have grown with them and he is what they truly need.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    i really cant add anything that was already said, as mentioned tons of bad contracts. I am more curious about IF Portland kept Batum and LMA where would they be at now?
    Don't think they could have sign LMA, because it seems like he already made up his mind to leave town. But Batum on the other hand they traded; & they really need a defensive mindset first type of a small forward.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast