Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Interesting read this morning, 9 reasons to S&T Kyle Lowry. I do like the idea of trading his rights to the 6ers on draft day for their top draft pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...de-kyle-lowry/

I don't believe they will do it, but man, years 4-5 at $35m per season could get ugly if we decide to max him out.
    I agree, especially the way he plays w/ wear and tear. Kind of have to sign him though. I would offer the same contract DD signed. If not, trade him.

Interesting read this morning, 9 reasons to S&T Kyle Lowry. I do like the idea of trading his rights to the 6ers on draft day for their top draft pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...de-kyle-lowry/

I don't believe they will do it, but man, years 4-5 at $35m per season could get ugly if we decide to max him out.
    Why would 76ers do that? They have more than enough cap space to just sign him without giving up any assets. Neither 76ers, nor Lowry would have any incentive to agree to that.

Not a very informed article from Bennett.

93. Why would teams or players want to do a sign-and-trade?

Teams benefit because they can get something in return for players they would otherwise lose to free agency. For players the benefits are limited. Under previous CBAs a player who qualified could receive a full Bird contract and go to the team of his choice, which encouraged the player to seek a sign-and-trade once he decided to play elsewhere. Under the current CBA a player receives the same contract via sign-and-trade (four years, 4.5% raises) that he could get by signing with his new team directly, and can receive a larger Bird contract only if he stays with his previous team. In addition, it is much simpler for the player to sign directly with his new team, as a sign-and-trade has to be agreed to by three parties rather than two. A player is really only forced to seek a sign-and-trade if he wants to go to a team that is capped-out (or doesn't have enough cap room to give the player his full starting salary) and can't sign him directly.

Another factor encouraging a player not to seek a sign-and-trade is that his new team might be weakened by losing players or draft picks in the trade. So while a sign-and-trade is a useful tool when the team does not have the cap room to sign the player directly, the player and his new team have little reason to seek a sign-and-trade when the player can be signed without involving his previous team.
    http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93
    Last edited by pebloemer; 03-25-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Thx, didnt know that. I dont think he is going anywhere but its scary to think he could be making 35mil.

Lowry strikes me as a guy who wont give this team a discount especially seeing a bunch of scrubs making more than him the past two seasons. $35mil is a lot of money committed to a 31-year old, it could get really ugly for us. But I would take that risk, not every team gets a window like we have right now. I think we could compete for 2-3 more years with CLE if we can keep Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker. Masai should look to move Carroll, Joseph and Jonas if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pebloemer View Post
    Why would 76ers do that? They have more than enough cap space to just sign him without giving up any assets. Neither 76ers, nor Lowry would have any incentive to agree to that.

Not a very informed article from Bennett.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q93
    The obvious reason would be so that they can spend to the cap and then S&T for Lowry to go over. Eg. they would send out say $20m in salary to trade for him and take back his $24m, or whatever the final number would be. The not so obvious reason is to maintain and/or create good business relationships. They could S&T for him without giving up anything while creating a huge TPE for us.

Different CBA, but think back to Lebron and Bosh signing with Miami. Miami wasn't required to do a S&T for either, but ended up sending draft picks to each team.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxeryll View Post
    Lowry strikes me as a guy who wont give this team a discount especially seeing a bunch of scrubs making more than him the past two seasons. $35mil is a lot of money committed to a 31-year old, it could get really ugly for us. But I would take that risk, not every team gets a window like we have right now. I think we could compete for 2-3 more years with CLE if we can keep Lowry, Ibaka and Tucker. Masai should look to move Carroll, Joseph and Jonas if needed.
    Why exactly does he strike you as that kinda guy? He took a pretty darn team friendly deal last time around, and his BBB Derozan didn't get a full max. I see resigning him getting done rather easily.

I think we go as far into the luxury tax as needed to retain at least Ibaka, Lowry and Tucker. If he doesn't get paid like Biz I wouldn't mind seeing Patterson too, but with Ibaka around you can't pay Patterson ~16M to play less than 20 mpg..

I don't see him making that kind of money though. Biz cashed in on a great playoff. With Tucker taking his minutes I don't see the same thing happening with Patterson. He isn't shooting over 40% from deep this year, and he isnt a stat sheet stuffer. He plays solid defense and talks well, but that aint worth a massive deal.... But i guess you never know.

The obvious reason would be so that they can spend to the cap and then S&T for Lowry to go over. Eg. they would send out say $20m in salary to trade for him and take back his $24m, or whatever the final number would be. The not so obvious reason is to maintain and/or create good business relationships. They could S&T for him without giving up anything while creating a huge TPE for us.

Different CBA, but think back to Lebron and Bosh signing with Miami. Miami wasn't required to do a S&T for either, but ended up sending draft picks to each team.
    The new CBA makes a massive difference though.

Giving a top pick in a loaded draft to save the 4 million in the example you provided is absolutely absurd. Other teams could accommodate that for far lesser assets. Philadelphia has an absolute ton of draft picks, it would be very easy to parlay some of those early 2nds with an unwanted contract to free up that space. Dumping a high end asset to free up cap space when you are already 60 million below the cap isn't accounted for well by your logic or example .

Maintain/create business relationship? No one gives away lottery picks for that.

If you guys missed it, Lowry was playing around before the game. He didn't use his right hand though.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    Why exactly does he strike you as that kinda guy? He took a pretty darn team friendly deal last time around, and his BBB Derozan didn't get a full max. I see resigning him getting done rather easily.

I think we go as far into the luxury tax as needed to retain at least Ibaka, Lowry and Tucker. If he doesn't get paid like Biz I wouldn't mind seeing Patterson too, but with Ibaka around you can't pay Patterson ~16M to play less than 20 mpg..

I don't see him making that kind of money though. Biz cashed in on a great playoff. With Tucker taking his minutes I don't see the same thing happening with Patterson. He isn't shooting over 40% from deep this year, and he isnt a stat sheet stuffer. He plays solid defense and talks well, but that aint worth a massive deal.... But i guess you never know.
    2014 was Lowry's breakout year and there were concerns if it was just a contract year or if he was for real so it was not really a bargain and it only became team friendly the past two years with the massive increase in salary cap.

I dont know, his interview at the start of the season gave me that impression and the fact that hes having his best year and this will be his last chance for a big contract unlike Derozan. I hope he proves me wrong though.

“If you’re that franchise’s guy, and you’re the guy that they’ve been rolling with, and you’ve given that franchise everything you have, yeah, I think [the talks] should be easy,” Lowry told The Vertical. “I think it should be a situation where a guy shouldn’t have to talk to another team. DeMar didn’t have the chance to talk to another team.

“For me, I think that at 12:01 a.m. on July 1 – something should be close. If not, I’m open to seeing what else is out there.”
    If Mozgov can get $16M/year last offseason, Patterson can certainly get it.
    Last edited by Toxeryll; 03-25-2017 at 11:55 PM.

He will probably play against Philadelphia, obviously off the bench and limited minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps Insider 12 View Post
    He will probably play against Philadelphia, obviously off the bench and limited minutes.
    Just a hunch or did you here it somewhere? That would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Just a hunch or did you here it somewhere? That would be great.
    Don't let my "insider" name fool you . It's just a hunch, he is from Philly maybe it could be something special and a good omen for him.
    “We’re never going to be a high-assist team”, Casey said Thursday morning during an appearance on on SN590 The Fan’s Starting Lineup, “The way DeMar plays, he gets his points off the dribble and in one-on-one situations, and it takes away from that high-assist number. But we have to get the ball moving— and knock down shots once it is.”

Lowry said he is a couple weeks away a couple days ago on ESPN. He doesn't expect to be in game shape.
    Last edited by aman_13; Yesterday at 01:00 PM.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Lowry shooting with his right hand now.

I'm guessing he'll be back in 7-10 days.

Cant come soon enough.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456