Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Who's the best catcher in the AL?

I'm just curious to see who you guys think? ESPN is running an article wondering if Gary Sanchez is already the best catcher in the AL, so I'm just wondering who else? It doesn't seem like there are any real good catchers in the AL. Perez in KC?

The Lost Boys of PSD

Lucroy

"there's no shines in my shinebox"

I cant ****ing wait for the sanchez nose dive... The hype is ridiculous... He is going to fall off a cliff this year.

Sanchez certainly has the potential to be the best catcher, but I want to see more from him to say he's the best. I'd agree with spliff and say Lucroy at the moment. Martin gets honorable mention.

Lucroy for sure.

Sanchez made a splash, but his minor league numbers suggest a significant regression is forthcoming:

AA/AAA: @1300 PA: .780 OPS. Solid for a catcher.

It all depends on whether he can make the adjustment to the adjustment to the adjustment...

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    Sanchez certainly has the potential to be the best catcher, but I want to see more from him to say he's the best. I'd agree with spliff and say Lucroy at the moment. Martin gets honorable mention.
    I'd probably say Lucroy, Martin, McCann, Perez then Sanchez. It says a lot about the state of catchers in baseball when a partial season makes Sanchez a top 5 catcher in the AL, hell I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up as the number 1 catcher in baseball next year.

Sanchez needs a bigger sample size to even be considered. Right now, it's Lucroy.

Are we talking straight defense/offense or overall. Overall is Lucroy probably. Defensively, and perhaps a homer pick but Christian Vasquez.

Celts, Sox, Pats, Bruins

Thank you Brooklyn for the first pick in the 2017 draft. Markelle <3

Lucroy
    Quote Originally Posted by El Patito View Post
    Wow, you just won't let this go will you? I'd be more than happy to provide the numbers again if you'd like. The fact is that Marmol in his best season, put up one of the greatest performances by a reliever in the history of baseball. Better than Rivera? Youre damn right. You can't deny this.
    Marmolololololol

Quote Originally Posted by Rush View Post
    I hate when people say this. Projection is part of evaluation. People on message boards like this act like it's a crime to be wrong. If a GM had his choice of every catcher in baseball he wouldn't just write off Sanchez and say "I need to see more". The GM would make an honest projection and place Sanchez in his rankings accordingly.

It's OK to be wrong. It's so annoying to see people pass on ranking a young player until they see enough to be sure. It defeats the entire purpose. When you're ranking who the best is estimating player growth and decline is part of it.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I hate when people say this. Projection is part of evaluation. People on message boards like this act like it's a crime to be wrong. If a GM had his choice of every catcher in baseball he wouldn't just write off Sanchez and say "I need to see more". The GM would make an honest projection and place Sanchez in his rankings accordingly.

It's OK to be wrong. It's so annoying to see people pass on ranking a young player until they see enough to be sure. It defeats the entire purpose. When you're ranking who the best is estimating player growth and decline is part of it.
    But the problem is, his minor stats and profile had him less than the offensive player he showed in limited time last season.

I don't rank young guys high but I'd have an easier time ranking a guy like Corey Seager as an upper SS than I would ranking Sanchez as an upper C due to each of their pedigrees. Not saying Seager won't flop and Sanchez may progress, just that evidence and scouting (reports) are a better indicator than just a SSS of major league PAs.

So in your case, you can't just completely forget about what happened in the minors or reports since those are obviously part of how projections are made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack of Blades View Post
    I don't consider Brand New indie. I consider them ****ing awesome and don't belong to a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by koldjerky View Post
    But the problem is, his minor stats and profile had him less than the offensive player he showed in limited time last season.

I don't rank young guys high but I'd have an easier time ranking a guy like Corey Seager as an upper SS than I would ranking Sanchez as an upper C due to each of their pedigrees. Not saying Seager won't flop and Sanchez may progress, just that evidence and scouting (reports) are a better indicator than just a SSS of major league PAs.

So in your case, you can't just completely forget about what happened in the minors or reports since those are obviously part of how projections are made.
    But this isn't what I'm talking about though. You're citing actual reasons and analysis for why you don't project him to be the best. That's difference than just saying "I can't call him the best because I need to see more." That defeats the whole purpose of this discussion. We're not asking who has been the best catcher over a large enough sample size. We're asking who is. Meaning who will be the best this year. From this point in time now who will be the best player this year. Players aren't stagnant - the past is only relevant to the point it helps you predict the future. Guys get better, they decline. It's part of the game. But whenever we have a rankings thread everyone wants to pretend that isn't the case and just regurgitate stats about who has been the best rather than actually project who will be. All these people who say "I need to see more" would make crappy GMs.

Let's say Bonds was a FA after 1990... Some people would have said "yeah he was great last year but before I call him the best I want to see him do it over a larger sample size". Others would have actually analyzed his game and projected that it wasn't a flash in the pan and ended up with the greatest hitter of their generation. Not saying that's the case for Sanchez or anyone else but the point is that ranking players isn't about just looking at past performance and sample size. It's about projection with those things as only a tool to do so. IDK why fans want to take that out of the game.
    Last edited by hugepatsfan; 02-27-2017 at 08:53 PM.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I'm just curious to see who you guys think? ESPN is running an article wondering if Gary Sanchez is already the best catcher in the AL, so I'm just wondering who else? It doesn't seem like there are any real good catchers in the AL. Perez in KC?
    Of course they are.

If we are talking about Sanchez, let's remember that he had a mid .800's OPS in September

which is very good, but that's basically Lucroy. While Sanchez has a minor league history which shows worse numbers.

Sanchez has all the potential, but Lucroy is the best catcher in the AL, with Perez and Martin probably in the running somewhere with Ramos lurking.

Gary Sanchez was the best catcher in the AL last year, therefor he is currently the best catcher in the AL until proven otherwise.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast