Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 303
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Is next year's draft possibly more talented than this year's? If it is, then maybe they should hesitate on mortgaging future picks.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Ansonia, CT
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Is next year's draft possibly more talented than this year's? If it is, then maybe they should hesitate on mortgaging future picks.
    If we don't get an impact Edge rusher at #28 that's high on our board, we should trade back a few spots and get an extra mid round pick along with either a possibly later rd pick or a pick for next year's draft... we can stock up players in the middle rounds who will certainly play with a chip on their shoulder... stock up at DB, get an edge rusher, an OL, and WR... maybe a RB too
    New York Yankees
    Dallas Cowboys
    UCONN Huskies Football
    UCONN Huskies MBB
    UCONN Huskies WBB
    Philadelphia 76ers
    New York Knickerbockers

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,364
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Is next year's draft possibly more talented than this year's? If it is, then maybe they should hesitate on mortgaging future picks.
    This year has incredible depth at the positions we need it at.

    Next year should be great for QBs so people may look at it as a great class also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by ktuck911 View Post
    If we don't get an impact Edge rusher at #28 that's high on our board, we should trade back a few spots and get an extra mid round pick along with either a possibly later rd pick or a pick for next year's draft... we can stock up players in the middle rounds who will certainly play with a chip on their shoulder... stock up at DB, get an edge rusher, an OL, and WR... maybe a RB too
    Yeah, it would best to go for the most value at a pick rather than feeling the desperation to make a pick now. Teams have gotten into trouble picking out of desperation. Like the 2007 draft for example, many teams were desperate and felt the need to pick a QB and that year turned out to be one of the worst classes for QBs (Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kolb..etc.). The Patriots seem to stay pretty disciplined when it comes to that.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    This year has incredible depth at the positions we need it at.

    Next year should be great for QBs so people may look at it as a great class also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I literally have seen a dozen names floated around by analysts and mock drafts. They're only certain about the 2 positions that the Cowboys will pick from but not the players. But, if a major stud falls at 28 and happens to not be at one of our needed position, do we take him?

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,364

    Dallas Cowboys Official Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    I literally have seen a dozen names floated around by analysts and mock drafts. They're only certain about the 2 positions that the Cowboys will pick from but not the players. But, if a major stud falls at 28 and happens to not be at one of our needed position, do we take him?
    TE is the only one I think they wouldn't hesitate to dip into really other than DE/CB and maybe a S.

    WR I can see them thinking long and hard about it. Williams on a team friendly deal kind of complicates that situation a little now. So I could see them trying to trade down here.

    QB I see them definitely trying to trade down.

    I can't really see them touching any other positions that early off the top of my head.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    9,364

    Dallas Cowboys Official Draft Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketfuel View Post
    Yeah, it would best to go for the most value at a pick rather than feeling the desperation to make a pick now. Teams have gotten into trouble picking out of desperation. Like the 2007 draft for example, many teams were desperate and felt the need to pick a QB and that year turned out to be one of the worst classes for QBs (Jamarcus Russell, Brady Quinn, Kolb..etc.). The Patriots seem to stay pretty disciplined when it comes to that.
    One thing I like that the Patriots do is they always seem to have a cheap developmental pick behind Brady.

    And because their team is so good they always seem to shine when they are in. Which allows them to be in good position to trade them as their rookie deals would be up for a net positive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    TE is the only one I think they wouldn't hesitate to dip into really other than DE/CB and maybe a S.

    WR I can see them thinking long and hard about it. Williams on a team friendly deal kind of complicates that situation a little now. So I could see them trying to trade down here.

    QB I see them definitely trying to trade down.

    I can't really see them touching any other positions that early off the top of my head.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I wouldn't want another situation where we pick a Marcus Spears over Aaron Rodgers.
    Last edited by rocketfuel; 04-17-2017 at 08:24 PM.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    One thing I like that the Patriots do is they always seem to have a cheap developmental pick behind Brady.

    And because their team is so good they always seem to shine when they are in. Which allows them to be in good position to trade them as their rookie deals would be up for a net positive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I remember Bellichek advising one of his coaching buddies to not to pick any players with low football IQ, reasoning that you can't teach stupid. His organization really understands what the skill sets of the players they're drafting is going in and they know what they can teach them. All the players they draft, they seem to mold and develop. And he really likes versatile players that can play multiple roles. That's why he always seems to be able to stretch his dollar so to speak. A lot of teams pick talented players but don't know how to develop them, then just give up on them when they don't pan out in their system.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,262
    I don't know about trading out of the 1st round pick, having that 5-year contract is important. Maybe trade with the Saints' for pick number #32? Pretend there's a serious trade discussion with the Browns, since they may want to draft a QB as well, if they don't choose one at #1 or #12. Saints may want to draft a QB to learn from Drew Brees.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    From what I'm hearing about Harris is that of the 3 (or 4 if you include Derek Barnett) he has more pass rush moves that he's already good at. They're saying he has a spin move that's really good. Not that Takk or Watt can't learn more moves, Harris just already has them. I would really be happy with any of these guys.

    As for Adoree Jackson, he's definitely an elite athlete but he's a little on the short side for a 1st round CB. He doesn't fit the build of the kind of guys they look for at CB. He's the same size as Anthony Brown but Brown was taken in the 6th round.
    So he would be the one to make an impact immediately? Who is believed to have the highest ceiling?
    What I like about Takk is he is described by Dane Brugler and Bryan Broaddus as "all speed and motor", which I believe is awesome for an edge rusher. I imagine Rod Marinelli would be able to teach him some moves.

    Yeah, I don't want a 5'10 CB in the first round. I heard he was absolutely killed in a game, I believe it was against John Ross? If he has problems against speed guys and has a height disadvantage I do not want the guy to line up against Julio Jones, Terrelle Pryor etc.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    This year has incredible depth at the positions we need it at.

    Next year should be great for QBs so people may look at it as a great class also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case I believe we should absolutely have a 1st round pick. I am not completely sold on Dak being our franchise QB yet. I am not saying he is not our franchise QB, I just want to see more from him - specifically how he reacts when people have had a year to watch his tape and game-plan against him.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Europe
    Posts
    3,650
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...est-at-combine
    From the moment the pre-draft process started, it was nothing like Reuben Foster imagined.

    A much-talked about moment at the Scouting Combine involving a hospital worker, rumors about the progress of his surgically repaired shoulder that won't die, questions about his childhood friends -- it has all gotten to the highly touted Alabama linebacker.

    "Hectic, stressful, very stressful," Foster said over the phone to NFL.com, after concluding roughly 20 team visits. "It's like the devil is coming after me."

    And now comes the latest.

    Last month, Foster was notified that his urine sample obtained in Indianapolis during the combine was reported as dilute. Based on the provisions of the NFL's policy and program for substances of abuse, "this will be treated like a positive test."


    In discussing his trying few months, Foster disclosed the test results to NFL.com because, he says, "This is something that's going to get out. I don't make excuses. I'm a real dude. I try to be a good person. ... I just hope the coaches understand and that's all I can hope and pray for." Foster has already been on the phone talking with teams telling them himself.

    As for why the test came back dilute, Foster explained in detail. He said he was sick before the combine. He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping. One adviser offered to have a doctor put him on IVs to hydrate, but he didn't want that. He saw a doctor, got some medication and started hydrating himself.

    Foster believes it was food poisoning.

    "I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade," said Foster, who began the process as the consensus top linebacker based on his game tape and measurables. "Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think. So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

    The result was the diluted test, Foster says.

    And more stress, along with questions about his draft stock. Foster knows this will likely negatively affect where he's selected.

    "If it's first round, second round, whoever takes me will get a good football player and an All-Pro," Foster said. "I hope I go on Thursday, but I can't control that."

    Foster, who weighed 229 pounds at 6-foot, knows he'll be in the NFL's drug program. Periodic and unannounced tests will start when he signs an NFL contract.

    "Put me in the program," he said. "Test me."

    Of course, this was far from the only thing he dealt with during the process. The star inside linebacker on Alabama's vaunted defense, Foster had surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff after the season. At combine rechecks, doctors found it was on schedule, though there have been media reports that he may need a second surgery (which has frustrated Foster).

    "I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do, but no matter what I do, it doesn't come out right," he said.


    In Indy, Foster got into a heated altercation with a hospital worker and was sent home prior to completing his medical exam. He later sent a letter to teams apologizing for his dismissal. Foster had been waiting an extended period of time.

    "I apologized for that, I've learned from it," Foster said. "That's in the past and it won't happen again." Foster spoke right before addressing his former Bama teammates about the pre-draft process and what it's been like.

    Some teams also had questions about the company Foster keeps, though as he says, "I came from a rough environment, I'm my own man. Growing up, those were the people from my neighborhood. At college, my teammates became my family."

    Foster graduated from Alabama and called the plays for their complex defense. Meanwhile, other media reports questioned his smarts.

    Foster said this process has been mentally draining and taxing. But he said he's grateful for it and is looking forward to Thursday.

    On the flip side, no one has questions about Foster as a football player.

    "Big-time player," one GM said. "Beast."

    That's the consensus. But only time will tell how teams will react to the entirety of it.
    Could he fall to #28 after this? And would you consider him? To me his explanation sounds reasonable. I would love to grab a great pass rusher, but then again a LB core of Lee, Jaylon & Foster sounds nice as well.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,542
    Just pick the guy that's gone to be the standout star. A great percentage of draft picks flame out after a few years anyway, not able to play at this level, so might as well go for the guy that will make a difference on the team.

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,622
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    This year has incredible depth at the positions we need it at.

    Next year should be great for QBs so people may look at it as a great class also.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cowboys should also have around 11 picks in 2018 with the comp picks they'll be getting.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •