Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    Javy should play errryday.
    To me that is a separate argument. IMO he will play everyday. Might not start everyday, but he will get in the game. And when he starts it just might not always be 2nd base. I can see 130 STARTS for Javy. But maybe only 70 or so at 2nd. I am actually fine with that way of thinking. He is so valuable as a utility guy who plays everywhere. And I really do not like an outfield of Zo, Schwarber and Heyward. Not everyday anyway. Especially since it is not needed for Javy to get 130 games started.
    And, honestly it does not matter what we all think here. It appears Joe is planning on using Javy much like he did in the 16' regular season.

Rondon allows his 3rd bomb of the WBC

Everything is up

Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    To me that is a separate argument. IMO he will play everyday. Might not start everyday, but he will get in the game. And when he starts it just might not always be 2nd base. I can see 130 STARTS for Javy. But maybe only 70 or so at 2nd. I am actually fine with that way of thinking. He is so valuable as a utility guy who plays everywhere. And I really do not like an outfield of Zo, Schwarber and Heyward. Not everyday anyway. Especially since it is not needed for Javy to get 130 games started.
    And, honestly it does not matter what we all think here. It appears Joe is planning on using Javy much like he did in the 16' regular season.
    Four fifths of the pitching staff is adept at getting groundballs. So since a significant portion of the season only one of Baez/Almora/Jay will get into the lineup I would prefer maxing out the range of the infield defense with Baez at Second. Baez having more power and base stealing potential than the other two should make the decision to pick Javy over the other two even easier.

The corner outfield defense being poor with Schwarber and Zobrist is partially negated by the makeup of the pitching staff, as well as Wrigley not being a cavernous park. So the need for incredibly rangy outfielders, at least for home games, isn't particularly pressing.

Quote Originally Posted by thawv View Post
    Why do you think that Schwarber will be hitting a lot of solo shots? Unless they are in the first inning, it's pure chance. After the first inning, it's a matter of luck where a guy hits in any particular inning. There's an excellent chance that after the first inning, he doesn't lead off another inning that game. To further that, I would love to start the game of with a 1-0 lead.
    The OBP for Zobrist will likely be around 360. The OBP for your typical starting pitcher is well over 100 points less. So I would prefer the significantly better on-base threat hitting before a key power threat like Schwarber.
    LVP Heyward Club:

Quote Originally Posted by Salvaged Ship View Post
    You 184 million dollar moron!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutPunch33 View Post
    Heyward is trash and everyone here knows it, even Bibbers

Per CBSSports;

Through 13 spring training games, Almora is slashing .314/.333/.571.

The Cubs are expected to platoon Almora and Jon Jay in center field this year, but Almora is making the case for a bigger role. Jay is having a solid spring as well (.303/.361/.424), but Almora offers more upside.
    Come Be The Apple Of The PWW Owner's Eye!

*PSD Wrestling Wars Link* http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...restling-Wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Prior22 View Post
    Four fifths of the pitching staff is adept at getting groundballs. So since a significant portion of the season only one of Baez/Almora/Jay will get into the lineup I would prefer maxing out the range of the infield defense with Baez at Second. Baez having more power and base stealing potential than the other two should make the decision to pick Javy over the other two even easier.

The corner outfield defense being poor with Schwarber and Zobrist is partially negated by the makeup of the pitching staff, as well as Wrigley not being a cavernous park. So the need for incredibly rangy outfielders, at least for home games, isn't particularly pressing.
    You make a good argument. However the coaching staff does not appear to agree with you. Leads me to believe you and others are missing something. And, honestly, I am not sure what it is. Maybe Maddon likes Almora more than you do. Maybe the stat geeks feel outfield defense is more important then you are saying it is. Maybe Javy used as a super sub type guy is a great value. For now it does not appear the plan of Maddon to start Baez at second on a regular basis. It might change if Javy forces his way into the line up or Almora is a disaster at the plate. But for now, there is obviously some data that is allowing Maddon to feel how he does and for now it appears Javy is going to be a sub used often.

If Maddon doesn't change his mind I can see Javy getting 70+ games at 2nd, maybe 30 at SS and then another 30 at 3rd. Bryant can sit maybe 10 games and move to the outfield or 1st base when Javy plays 3rd. I honestly can see 6 guys on the Cubs starting 130 to 135 games next year with Bryant and Rizzo playing 150+ and Almora getting 100 games. I am more ok with that then most here are. Seems to me most want Javy everyday at 2nd. And for now I do not think that happens.

Game will be live tonight on MLB network. Home game as well. Regulars should be there i would think.

Gleyber Torres is going to be a stud. His numbers this spring are insane.. I understand the trade needed to be made, but I kinda wish we could have been able to trade him for a longer term piece.

The real Pride of the Midwest

Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Rondon allows his 3rd bomb of the WBC

Everything is up
    Rondon has looked bad for a while now its seems...I wonder if the magic is running out?

thank god our bullpen is deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubs420 View Post
    Rondon has looked bad for a while now its seems...I wonder if the magic is running out?

thank god our bullpen is deep.
    You might be right about Rondon, but then again his era last spring was over 12. And he was very good for most of last year. Unless he is injured I am confident he will be fine this season. He is still throwing 97, just not hitting his spots. He just might be a guy who is a slow starter every spring.

Gleyber Torres is going to be a stud. His numbers this spring are insane.. I understand the trade needed to be made, but I kinda wish we could have been able to trade him for a longer term piece.
    Yankees were smart to hold out and get Torres. I'm sure the Cubs tried to offer any other combo they could to avoid dealing him......and I agree it would've been nice to make that trade for a guy who'd be on the team for multiple years. Winning the WS definitely makes this easier to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by 23sharks View Post
    Yankees were smart to hold out and get Torres. I'm sure the Cubs tried to offer any other combo they could to avoid dealing him......and I agree it would've been nice to make that trade for a guy who'd be on the team for multiple years. Winning the WS definitely makes this easier to swallow.
    O no doubt! I didn't want the post to come off as me complaining because you are absolutely right, the WS win makes it 100% worth it...like you said though, wish we could have pulled it off without having to get rid of Torres who looks like hes going to be a mega stud.

I still don't care. The price of trading him for winning a World Series was worth it. Good luck in your career Gleyber but I want the title and that's what we got. And it's not like it's some big void and we need him. We have players at every position that can play and still have Eloy and Ian in the minors. We'll be fine without Gleyber I'm sure of it.
    Last edited by bootsy; 03-22-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Cardinals announced their Opening Night starter earlier today.

Game 1: Jon Lester vs Carlos Martinez on April 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#FlyTheW
    2016 World Series Champions!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Cardinals announced their Opening Night starter earlier today.

Game 1: Jon Lester vs Carlos Martinez on April 2nd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll be there on the 4th.

Man I am blown away by how well Greg Bird is hitting after shoulder surgery. He is like Paul O'Neill... looking like he will have a monster season. Love his approach and swing.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast