Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I don't think we will be that bad. They just need to make the right roster decisions. If they can't see that Sanchez and Pelfrey cannot play in the major leagues anymore, then some people need to lose their jobs

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I don't think we will be that bad. They just need to make the right roster decisions. If they can't see that Sanchez and Pelfrey cannot play in the major leagues anymore, then some people need to lose their jobs

Maybe we will get lucky and they will both be in the pen so we can see them blow 50 leads this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lionsfanfromsac View Post
    Congrats to Ahoda on winning "PSD 2015 Post of the year!" ... What a huge honor it is to have you contribute to our forum. I hope you post twice as much in 2016 & give us twice the quality posts & twice the laughter!

Quote Originally Posted by ahoda View Post
    Maybe we will get lucky and they will both be in the pen so we can see them blow 50 leads this year.
    i don't think we'll get 50 leads to blow this year, maybe blow 50 loads

Jacoby looking good

Mark Lowe/Sanchez have altered their pitching mechanics.

McCann said he noticed in Lowe's delivery that may have been messing up his velocity. Sanchez has been altering his motion for about 2 years now, because there's really nothing left to fix and this is kind of the last call on a career (I believe Nathan tried this as well in his tenure here). It's quite a common thing you'll read about when things are going south.

Though it'd be nice to have Pelfrey/Sanchez/Lowe for depth, it's looking like 2, if not all 3, will be without a roster spot, coming opening day. If the rotation is healthy on opening day, JV-JZ-Fulmer-Norris-Boyd is a no brainer rotation. That means all three of those aforementioned guys would be BP destined. Well the BP has K-Rod/JWilson/Greene/Rondon/Kyle Ryan/Alex Wilson/Blaine Hardy. Something like that probably, maybe not 3 lefties, but I could stomach that pen, maybe they'd stick Farmer or VerHagen in there. The only way any of them get to the minors is if they accept assignment (doubtful that they will), so we're looking at a legitimate possibility that none of these guys are here.

I find it hard to believe that they'd all go, but it's simply because it'd help to have their depth whenever injury comes up (because it always will with SP, somebody will miss a few starts). Thing is, we'd have to stick em in the pen, because leaving them in the rotation would be nonsensical.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out because there's no way any of those 3 are on the roster in 2018 (Sanchez's option will be declined and Lowe/Pelfrey will expire), but I'm wondering if they'll cut bait early.

Other roster battles that are interesting: Looks like Moya is on his way out. If Collins/Mahtook platoon is a thing, and maybe even if it isn't, it looks like there will be an extra OFer on the bench for platoon(Collins/Mahtook). Obviously Avila is there, as well as Romine. It seems as if Machado will almost surely be on the roster due to him being out of options. Moya, likewise, is also out of options, and chances are he won't pass through waivers. He may finally leaves our farm system.

For the first time in a long time, seems like there will actually be meaningful decisions this Spring.

One thing I'm interested in? Jose Iglesias vs Dixon Machado. Is it really a battle? Probably not, but with a team that's interested in cutting salary (reportedly), it may be in their best interest to see if they can trade Iglesias. Jose will be in his last year of arbitration next year, and then will be due for a contract in FA, and while I don't think expect him to get a king's ransom or anything, I could see him getting quite a raise. Dixon Machado is ultimately looked at as somewhat of an Iglesias clone. Dixon has a lot of cheap, team friendly years of control ahead of him. Basically, I'm guessing that it's not a bad idea to see what you can get for Jose, and I do wonder if they've dabbled into that market at all. It would create a spot for Dixon to get regular playing time (really low chance he'd pass through waivers and get to AAA), and it creates a bench spot for somebody like Moya if they really like him that much (I don't think they do, however).

Just something I'm bouncing out there, I've never heard of any Iglesias speculation, but I'd be surprised if he was on this team beyond 2018, and if that's the case, and you have a ready replacement, it isn't too outlandish to look at the market for a guy like him.

yeah I was gonna say didn't Sanchez change his delivery last year? I remember he shortened his motion to the plate and it worked (at first) but he ended up going back to his old style which failed too, oh well, he's probably a lost cause at this point, kinda crazy to think he was in the Cy Young discussion a couple years ago

still, among those three, he's probably most likely to stay, like you said, someone will get hurt. Funny thing is we used to count Sanchez as the guy getting hurt, so if he's the fill in, who's to say he won't get hurt in that stint? This is all tricky

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Jacoby looking good
    Jacoby still looking good.

So the Tigers just got no hit by the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Jacoby still looking good.
    Though I haven't see any ST games (just read up from time to time), I've heard his defense is pretty damn impressive for somebody who just started playing CF full time. If that's the case, to hell with the platoon, but most speculate that he's a lock for AAA to start the year. I hope he gets to the majors ASAP, because even though I'm optimistic about Mahtook as a CFer, I just don't think a platoon between him and Collins is anything worth a ****. Given, we're going to suck at some spots, every team has their holes, but if JaCoby is clearly the best CF, that''s it, he's the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post

So the Tigers just got no hit by the Yankees.
    Just heard about this....ugh, i don't want to hit the doomed button in ST, especially with a chunk of the team at WBC, but man this ST hasn't dissuaded me from my pessimism about the upcoming season.

Miggy left a WBC game yesterday with tightness in his back. Not a good sign.

J.D. Martinez has been diagnosed with a mid-foot sprain.
    The injury is to his right foot. Martinez hurt himself laying out for a catch in right field Saturday against the Marlins. He was seen on crutches a short time later but his X-rays came back negative. The Tigers will reevaluate Martinez on Sunday. Though it appears Martinez was able to avoid a serious injury, his status for Opening Day is very much in question.
    via rotoworld

The injury bug is being so nice to us.

Perfect.

I already hate Avila.

I know that it's a long shot for us to be any good this year, but the WBC is really making me excited for the season. It's been too long since I *****ed about our BP. I can't wait for those feelings to come back. There is a lot to look forward to and I'm excited.

1. JV striking guys out in the 7th with nasty curve balls or high heat
    2. Watching Miggy at bats. Those are always fun even if he's not what he was 3 years ago.
    3. We'v egot really good young starting pitching. I so excited to watch Boyd, Norris, and Fulmer is going to be awesome. I know there will be lots of ups and downs, but I expect flashes of brilliance out of all of them.
    4. Our division isn't particularly strong so I think we can win it if things break our way this year. We've got to get lucky in terms of injuries. That simple

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast