Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Windsor, Earth's Rectum (as reported by Stephen Colbert).
    Posts
    10,709

    Has SVG gone bass ackwards?

    After a slow first season, which actually saw SVG post a lower winning percentage than the coach who got fire before him, SVG made some deft moves and seemed to get this team on the right track.

    Now he seems to have failed to help Drummond develop into a defensive force, he's given too much money to Jackson and has now posted him on the trading block, and Caldwell-Pope in on the block too?

    It one thing when a GM is shopping around a player or two, but the coach can go in there and say with a straight face that he's got nothing to do with it and that he has confidence in the player, but with Drummond, Jackson and Caldwell-Pope all rumoured to on the block, and SVG, their coach, the one to put them there, well... it just seems like it's going to be next to impossible to build a trusting relationship, even with that platitudes like 'it's just business', or 'we're just taking calls'.

    SVG was too forward in Orlando, where he came out and openly said he knew Howard requested he be fired, and the team chemistry spiraled out of control from there, where he quickly lost the locker room.


    Now SVG seems to be doing the same thing with this roster. Has SVG completely mismanaged this situation? Does he have some kind of metaphorical death wish where he just wants to rip it all apart and start over? Or is there some method to this madness?

    I've got no issue with him trading guys, especially if he thinks he can get a high return and that this group can't compete for a title, but with no concrete deals materializing, but gossip spreading faster than wild fire, it seems like he's painted himself into a corner and if a deal does come through, he'll struggle to keep the locker room going forward.
    Why did the chicken cross the basketball court?
    Because he heard the refs were blowing fowls.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJohnHorn View Post
    After a slow first season, which actually saw SVG post a lower winning percentage than the coach who got fire before him, SVG made some deft moves and seemed to get this team on the right track.

    Now he seems to have failed to help Drummond develop into a defensive force, he's given too much money to Jackson and has now posted him on the trading block, and Caldwell-Pope in on the block too?

    It one thing when a GM is shopping around a player or two, but the coach can go in there and say with a straight face that he's got nothing to do with it and that he has confidence in the player, but with Drummond, Jackson and Caldwell-Pope all rumoured to on the block, and SVG, their coach, the one to put them there, well... it just seems like it's going to be next to impossible to build a trusting relationship, even with that platitudes like 'it's just business', or 'we're just taking calls'.

    SVG was too forward in Orlando, where he came out and openly said he knew Howard requested he be fired, and the team chemistry spiraled out of control from there, where he quickly lost the locker room.


    Now SVG seems to be doing the same thing with this roster. Has SVG completely mismanaged this situation? Does he have some kind of metaphorical death wish where he just wants to rip it all apart and start over? Or is there some method to this madness?

    I've got no issue with him trading guys, especially if he thinks he can get a high return and that this group can't compete for a title, but with no concrete deals materializing, but gossip spreading faster than wild fire, it seems like he's painted himself into a corner and if a deal does come through, he'll struggle to keep the locker room going forward.
    I am a bit surprised also. But even more surprised on these "leaks."

    You see just now that "boston is willing to put Nets pick in play to acquire PG13" or something similar. How do these guys know that? There's maybe 2-3 people at most on each side talking this trade.

    Second, there's a lot of BS that goes on. Agents or other GMs who "leak" and say "Detroit has made it know they will entertain offers for Dre'." Sure, not even a leak someone with half a brain would have to know that. Durant for Dre'? All day, every day, and twice yesterday. Dre'f for AD. Ditto.

    So I think that some of this is other agents / GMs. I mean the Rubio one. The whole purpose of trading Rubio is to let Dunn get more minutes. Trading for a guy who has another 3 years on his contract - 1 more than Rubio after this season - plays the same position as the guy you want to step in after Rubio trade - makes no sense. And given that they fired the GM who drafted 6 PGs in 2 years is gone, this is one where someone calls up (from Minn, lower level employee) and says "would you be interested in . . . .. " I think that was done to drive up the price on Rubio from Minn's end. And you have to take the call because maybe they want to include KAT or Wiggins.

    As for SVG, I think the problem is he wears his emotions on his sleeve. He's a bit too emphatic. I've watched him on the sidelines on bad D possessions and I swear he's going to go "full, all out, emotional Snowflake I'm going to cut myself until Bobby asks me to the prom" sometimes. There's being frank, straightforward and no BS to OMG, I broke a nail. I think that's want did him in in Orlando. He's just to grating sometimes. In the beginning, that was good here because we had a non-chalance ***** happens attitude for several years. So emotion was required. I also think that these are his guys and he's trying to make it happen to prove himself - as every coach does - but particularly one as the Pres of Basketball Operations - or whatever title he has.

    SVG needs to approach it more low key. Don't go all 13 year old valley girl on every possession. Treat it as business. Because that's what it is. They're professionals. They get the job done or they don't. And if they don't, people sit. Get traded. Or whatever. But he definitely needs to switch to de-caff.
    Last edited by markbutter; 02-23-2017 at 03:47 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    73,821
    Well with the schedule as is it looks easier from here and out for us. It is possible the Pistons jump up a few spots in the playoff seeding. That said we need something to happen, either player performance (looking at you Andre) or a trade, going forward and into the offseason otherwise we are dangerously close to being maxed out mediocrity ala the Red Wings.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    4,738
    After a solid effort last year in terms of progression, this team is flat and Stan is largely at fault. The direction they are headed in is not a good one. I think he should get another run at it, but standing pat at the deadline left a sour taste in my mouth.

    The Red Wings comparison was a good one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,827
    Stan is quoted as saying the "skid starts with me."

    Ok. Like wow. Who should we fault?

    This team actually regressed. And that's on SVG.

    He drafted Stanley when we could have had Booker. And given SVG's plan to go 1 low 4 out, it seems like that was a huge error.

    bottom line is: You can teach a guy to play D. You can't teach makes. And this is a make or miss league.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,320
    This is a little late but I wanted to comment. It's tough for me to outright blame SVG for this. He built a team that should be competing in the top 5 of the eastern conference. Last year, we were nearly a 50 win team. Reggie was by far the most important part of us. He made Andre significantly better. Reggie was playing all star level basketball in a point guard driven league. Reggie's knees went to crap last offseason and he hasn't been able to be himself since.

    This was one of the most impressive NBA seasons in terms of other teams getting better, breaking multiple NBA records for 3s and triple doubles. Team scoring is up higher than ever, not to mention this season has had the most 50+ scorers ever. If you look at even the worst teams in the league, they have decent talent. Every team in the NBA will most likely finish with over 20 wins. That's almost unheard of.

    All this is happening while Detroit has tried to go on without their starting PG at 100%, who was easily the most important player for us last season.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,827
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBadBoy View Post
    This is a little late but I wanted to comment. It's tough for me to outright blame SVG for this. He built a team that should be competing in the top 5 of the eastern conference. Last year, we were nearly a 50 win team. Reggie was by far the most important part of us. He made Andre significantly better. Reggie was playing all star level basketball in a point guard driven league. Reggie's knees went to crap last offseason and he hasn't been able to be himself since.

    This was one of the most impressive NBA seasons in terms of other teams getting better, breaking multiple NBA records for 3s and triple doubles. Team scoring is up higher than ever, not to mention this season has had the most 50+ scorers ever. If you look at even the worst teams in the league, they have decent talent. Every team in the NBA will most likely finish with over 20 wins. That's almost unheard of.

    All this is happening while Detroit has tried to go on without their starting PG at 100%, who was easily the most important player for us last season.
    Can't say as I disagree with your analysis. But I would offer a couple of counterpoints:

    I think across the board teams have gotten better, but teams have had injuries. Utah and KD out for GS (though I think their team is very good without him, obviously) doesn't take away that Reggie has been hurt.

    With Ish stepping in just as the regular season started, we were 11-10 when Reggie did come back.

    I think your analysis of Reggie making Andre better is correct, but I think Ish makes everyone else better - which is a better measure of a PG. If Andre needs Reggie to put up big numbers, then Andre and not Reggie is who we should be talking about.

    Right now it's SVG position that Reggie has been playing at 80-85% or so. IF this is a PG driven league - then that's all the more reason to blame SVG - with him knowing Reggie wasn't near 100%. And I don't think Reggie can be a starting PG in the NBA at 80% and be effective.

    All else being equal - the bottom line is: He was either ready to comeback or not. And at 11-10 (which I believe to that point we had had the hardest schedule in terms of games, back to back, road, etc. - speaks more to SVG NOT having Reggie comeback. In the back of my mind, I think SVG at that time is OH Chit - if we start a good streak - and the teams we played when Reggie came back vs. Orlando were not overwhelming. Here is Reggie's quote after the Orlando game:

    "I felt good out there, but I wish we could have gotten a win out of it," Jackson said. "I think there might have been a little rust, but I was able to do everything I need to do. I wouldn't be out there if I was going to be physically limited."

    Something doesn't make sense with that quote and SVG's recent pronouncements.

    In the next 14 games, we went 4-10 after Reggie came back. We've gone 2-10 our last 12 - and basically everyone of those we were in and didn't get the job done.
    Last edited by markbutter; 04-07-2017 at 05:29 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    21,005
    everyone's lazy, trade them all

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    lukass' closet
    Posts
    5,965
    Why draft Booker when we had the best on ball defender in the NBA?!

    Lol when we drafted Stanley everybody wanted him or Winslow. Booker was "too young" 10 other gms wish they had booker too.

    Think JWO was the only one i recall wanting Booker.

    JWO for head scout.

    ******* GuySir

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    21,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Why draft Booker when we had the best on ball defender in the NBA?!

    Lol when we drafted Stanley everybody wanted him or Winslow. Booker was "too young" 10 other gms wish they had booker too.

    Think JWO was the only one i recall wanting Booker.

    JWO for head scout.

    ******* GuySir
    what did I do lol

    trade blink

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •