Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Great Quotes

emotions are measurable. there are very specific markers. not sure why you dont agree.

When participants viewed images of their partners, their brains' ventral tegmental area, which houses the reward and motivation systems, was flooded with the chemical dopamine.
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb...ove8-2010feb08
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-11-2018 at 12:16 AM.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

I believe it was DOPAMINE being measured..?
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    emotions are measurable. there are very specific markers. not sure why you dont agree.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb...ove8-2010feb08
    not to play both sides but emotions are really hard to distinguish from level activation (Intense joy/intense fear), and emotions that share valence are really hard to distinguish from one another (sadness, boredom)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I believe it was DOPAMINE being measured..?
    Can you have an emotion without the chemicals in your brain?

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Prolly not. Sociopaths probably have very different brain activity.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Probably to some degree, I don't know. If I had no chemicals in my brain I'd prob be dead tho

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Prolly not. Sociopaths probably have very different brain activity.
    sociopaths don't really lack emotion... they generally just have emotion for themselves.

Back to relevant quotations:

"Faith is the process of creating an inner world and making it real through constant effort." (T.M. Luhrmann)

My best guess is that emotion is dependent on some bio-chemical process.
    I am that Daddy Cool

I think you would have the concept of the emotion, but without the "feeling". Without chemicals in the brain, I'd imagine if you felt hunger and someone gave you your favorite food, you would reason that you are now content, but you wouldn't get that glow/feeling behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Ooooh a quote we can test!!!

Let's look at the worst people in history...

Hitler? Religion caused his genocide? Nope... social Darwinism!

Somebody go next!!!
    More people have died for the purpose of religion than any thing else in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    You're argument assumes that God is real... and if God is real then He is...

God!

And doesn't have to answer to your or I or anyone else.

And would be quite different that Stalin, Hitler, Mao or even the Pope.
    But then he would have created them, no?

Does dopamine trigger emotions or is it the other way around? While we can measure the dopamine, we can't measure the actual emotions. There's a difference.

Emotions, feelings, empathy, love, hate, like, etc are all part of consciousness, something we don't really know too much about. So this lack of knowledge is exploited by the believers who think they can plug God into the equation. Can't have consciousness without God who also supplies the feelings that enable us to distinguish good from bad or evil.

Until we can define consciousness, all I can say is I don't know what triggers our ability to develop independent thoughts, feelings, an identity, personality, and everything else that falls under the bucket of consciousness.

But i do know this: Attributing it all to a god of some sort doesn't work for me. Need to know more.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    More people have died for the purpose of religion than any thing else in humanity.
    I don't know, ww2 alone had like 60 million dead

Great Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    ...Until we can define consciousness, all I can say is I don't know what triggers our ability to develop independent thoughts, feelings, an identity, personality, and everything else that falls under the bucket of consciousness.
    Language. Not just literal but also representational. Awareness is built on recognition. I cannot conceive of what I am experiencing until i can construct and identify relationships and their meanings. To do this, we need a system of signs — language being the predominant system.

Been thinking about this lately—!about the limitations of language in particular.

On a side note, when Jesus spoke to his Apostles, when God spoke to Moses, when the Bible was written, knowledge was limited and language was much more simple. I wonder how different the story of creation would be if the Book of Genesis was written in 2018 by contemporary authors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dugmet; 03-13-2018 at 02:27 AM.
    I am that Daddy Cool

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast