Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Spring Training Discussion

Spring Training is under way and the first game is Saturday February 25th. The roster is looking mostly set but there is always the chance of a surprise performance or a late acquisition. Discuss any developments or whatever crosses your mind here.

Grapefruit League Schedule
    Saturday, February 25 vs. Baltimore 1:05 PM
    Sunday, February 26 @Baltimore 1:05 PM

Monday, February 27 @Toronto 1:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 28 vs. Toronto 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 1 @Minnesota 1:05 PM
    Thursday, March 2 @Detroit 1:05 PM
    Friday, March 3 vs. Baltimore 1:05 PM
    Saturday, March 4 vs. Boston 1:05 PM
    Sunday, March 5 @NY Yankees 1:05 PM

Monday, March 6 vs. NY Yankees 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 7 vs. Atlanta 1:05 PM

Wednesday, March 8 vs. Dom Rep 1:05 PM
    Thursday, March 9 @Tampa Bay 1:05 PM
    Friday, March 10 vs. Tampa Bay 1:05 PM
    Saturday, March 11 @Baltimore 1:05 PM
    Sunday, March 12 vs. Minnesota 1:05 PM

Monday, March 13 @Atlanta 1:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 15 vs. Baltimore 1:05 PM
    Thursday, March 16 @Boston 6:05 PM
    Saturday, March 18 @Philadelphia 1:05 PM
    Sunday, March 19 vs. Toronto 1:05 PM

Monday, March 20 @Tampa Bay 1:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 21 vs. Tampa Bay 1:05 PM
    Thursday, March 23 @Boston 1:05 PM
    Friday, March 24 vs. Tampa Bay 1:05 PM
    Saturday, March 25 vs. Detroit 1:05 PM

Sunday, March 26 @Philadelphia 1:05 PM

Monday, March 27 vs. Minnesota 6:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 28 vs. Boston 6:05 PM
    Wednesday, March 29 vs. Philadelphia 1:05 PM

Friday, March 31 @Toronto 7:07 PM
    Saturday, April 1 @Toronto 1:07 PM

The games in bold are being broadcasted by ROOT sports
    Follow Me On Twitter: @battling_bucs

Lineup possibilities

against RHP it is almost certain that McCutchen is going to hit 3rd and Mercer 8th. I also think its quite likely Marte and Kang taken up the 4th and 5th spots in some order. That leaves Cervelli, Harrison, Bell and Polanco for spots 1, 2, 6 and 7. Ideally due to his low OBP nature I'd like to see Harrison hit 7th though I'm not sure that is going to happen but lets slot him in there for now. Cervelli fits the top of the order profile as an OBP machine but I just can't see Hurdle hitting him at the top so lets slot him into 6th. Making calls on Polanco/Bell and Marte/Kang leaves us with

Polanco
    Bell
    McCutchen
    Marte
    Kang
    Cervelli
    Harrison
    Mercer

I'm not sure that is how I want to see it but that is my current prediction of what it will look like.

Bullpen outlook

Disregarding trades for a minute it would appear Tony Watson, Daniel Hudson, Felipe Rivero, Antonio Bastardo, Juan Nicasio and Jared Hughes have six of the seven bullpen spots looked up. The leading candidates for the remaining spot are Wade LeBlanc, Tyler Webb and A.J. Schugel. Schugel has options remaining so even though 4 left handers in the bullpen looks a little weird you have to figure that is the likely path forward. Due to his contract LeBlanc may slip through waivers allowing the Pirates to keep him whereas Webb would need offered back to the Yankees. It is difficult to say which player will get the nod but for now I'm assuming the Pirates don't want Nicasio in the long relief role meaning they don't have one and of the two LeBlanc is better suited for that spot so he gets the edge right now.

Going away from conventional thinking for a minute what I'd like to see the Pirates do is find a taker for Antonio Bastardo and then sign Joe Blanton. At that point LeBlanc can be passed through waivers giving Webb the final spot. Watson and Hudson would serve as your traditional 8th and 9th inning guys and I'd like to see the trio of Rivero, Nicasio and Blanton take on a Andrew Miller-ish type role where they become 2 inning firemen. With three of them this could probably be sustained and as a bonus all three would be able to give you length if necessary. Hughes (who'd I'd rather not have but have accepted he'll be on the team) and Webb would serve as more traditional relievers here with Hughes being the groundball guy and Webb the one you call on for lefty matchups.

Rotation

It appears Cole, Taillion, Nova and Kuhl are near locks for 4 of the 5 spots. The last spot likely comes down to Hutchison, Brault or Glasnow. If Glasnow shows he is ready for it then I think you kind of have to go with him. The upside there is just simply too great. In fact I'd probably give him a shot even if he looked just ok in Spring (which by the way his first 2 innings were off the charts great). A rotation with 3 high guys who could be top of the rotation arms (Cole, Taillion and Glasnow), a solid middle of the rotation vet (Nova) and a young pitcher with middle of the rotation upside who looked promising in his debut (Kuhl) is a very good rotation. Add in the quality depth of Hutchison, Brault, Williams, Kingham and Holmes and it is a group that could be a strength (for the record the loss of Bonilla bums me out I think he could have been a nice depth piece).

25 Man Roster Prediction

C; Francisco Cervelli
    1B: Josh Bell
    2B: Josh Harrison
    3B: Jung-Ho Kang
    SS: Jordy Mercer
    LF: Gregory Polanco
    CF: Starling Marte
    RF: Andrew McCutchen

C: Chris Stewart
    1B/OF: John Jaso
    1B/3B: David Freese
    IF/OF: Adam Frazier
    IF/OF: Alen Hanson

SP: Gerrit Cole
    SP: Jameson Taillon
    SP: Chad Kuhl
    SP: Ivan Nova
    SP: Drew Hutchison

CL: Tony Watson
    SU: Daniel Hudson
    SU: Felipe Rivero
    MR: Jared Hughes
    MR: Antonio Bastardo
    MR: Juan Nicasio
    LR: Wade LeBlanc

I hope j hay has a better uear or fraizer just surpasses him

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I think we will see a better Jay Hay than last year. I've seen some discussion that they move him around a bit this year and have him play elsewhere besides 2B.

Cutch has been bad in the wbc like 2 for 13. Hope he bounces back but im a little worried now

Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Cutch has been bad in the wbc like 2 for 13. Hope he bounces back but im a little worried now

He did have a pretty big hit the other day and its a small sample we are dealing with here so I wouldn't worry that much.

Quote Originally Posted by burgh_fan66 View Post
    I think we will see a better Jay Hay than last year. I've seen some discussion that they move him around a bit this year and have him play elsewhere besides 2B.
    my thinking is jay hay plays third and frazier plays second im not sure what becomes of kang but right now i dont see him playing until may or later. i guess the pirates are out of the quintana sweepstakes.

I think we probably will see some of that alignment. Polanco seems to be nursing something at the moment so it is also possible we see Frazier play some LF early on in the season.