Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: What kind of player will Jimmy Garoppolo be?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • After sitting behind a HOFer he may look like one himself

1 33.33%
  • Because he's been where he's been, he's overvalued for what his actuall play will be elsewhere

2 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jimmy Garoppolo- closer to Aaron Rodgers or Matt Flynn?

With the potential of the Patriots trading Garoppolo, I thought it might make for interesting discussion.

Is he a top level QB just waiting for his turn to play as Rodgers did sitting behind Favre?
    Or is the perception of his ability higher than the reality will be once he actually gets that chance to start elsewhere?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

We're talking about a highly talented guy who's learned from two GOAT's for the past three years. Even then, you can't even really expect anyone to even be a Rodgers lite. Since you asked which one he's closer to though, I'd have to say Rodgers because Flynn is a career backup.

Everything we've seen from Garoppolo says he's going to be a good NFL quarterback with the potential to be great. Now he just has to go out there and show it for an extended period of time, assuming he gets traded.

Look who Rodgers learned behind (Brett Favre) look whof Garoppolo is learning behind (Tom Brady) time will tell, but now I'm gonna say Matt Flynn because he hasn't had a full season to show what he can do.

I don't see it, he just feels like a system guy to me.

Hello Kevin Kolb 2.0

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

It really depends on where he ends up. I mean one team could have him playing like Rodgers while another team could have him playing like Cleveland. He has arm talent which Flynn never had. I would trade my first for him in a heart beat rather than taking a QB in the first.

Hard to say.
    I'm going to say he will end up being right in between he two, and serviceable NFL QB. Not a star, but not a scrub.

This is way too polarizing.

"I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFuffcVDKKg
    lol

He is not a guy you bring in to put your team over the top (Texans/Broncos/Chiefs). Those teams are established and already have a plan in place. He is however someone a re-building team should target to cater their offense and offensive weapons to. The 49ers/Browns/Bears all fit the mold.

I'll use the 49ers as an example because I am a fan of them. Kyle Shanahan is starting with essentially nothing. If he managed to get his hands on Garoppolo then he could tweek his system enough for him to be comfortable. It would affect too much around him because the only certainties are Torrey Smith, Carlos Hyde and Vance MacDonald. No risk of pissing off diva WR's since a new system will have to be installed anyways.

well edleman said he reminds him of a rodgers/farve type, so im going with edleman.

First Sim League Title!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivera View Post
    well edleman said he reminds him of a rodgers/farve type, so im going with edleman.
    Because no teammate ever hasn't overhyped their own...

When I watch him it seems he has it all. Looks poised. Can move. Accurate. Can throw downfield. Confident in his reads. That's from pre-season/limited action. Overall that's an incredibly small sample size. My biggest concern is him as a leader. Seems like a quiet, to himself type of guy. I wonder how he can lead a group of men. Obviously he hasn't had that experience in NE. Even when he was the starter it wasn't a true leadership role.

At the end of the day I think he'll be a very good starter but no one can ever know for sure.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne387 View Post
    He is not a guy you bring in to put your team over the top (Texans/Broncos/Chiefs). Those teams are established and already have a plan in place. He is however someone a re-building team should target to cater their offense and offensive weapons to. The 49ers/Browns/Bears all fit the mold.

I'll use the 49ers as an example because I am a fan of them. Kyle Shanahan is starting with essentially nothing. If he managed to get his hands on Garoppolo then he could tweek his system enough for him to be comfortable. It would affect too much around him because the only certainties are Torrey Smith, Carlos Hyde and Vance MacDonald. No risk of pissing off diva WR's since a new system will have to be installed anyways.
    Chiefs I certainy algree with. Wouldn't make sense for them to go from Smith to Jimmy. Maybe he would put them over the top, but maybe he's a step back (or multiple steps). Not worth the chance there, IMO.

HOU I disagree with you on only because they're Qb situation is so bad. Sure, they have a good team otherwise, but at the QB position they're starting off with nothing. Let's say he sucks... what's different for them? IMO, he makes sense. Actually, arguably the most sense of any team because they won't have a high pick to get a QB like SF/CLE/CHI do this year (and really should continue to suck if we're being honest).

DEN I think should just go with Lynch because they obviously liked him enough to take in the 1st.

Well its obvious from the small sample size he was looking like a better athletic version of Brady so by default that would equate to more so on the Rodgers side than the Flynn

but I would like to see him do it for 3-5 yr stretch before putting my final signature on it

^ Problem is, GMs don't have the luxury of waiting 3-5 years. That's where the huge disconnect is between fans and front offices. We're Monday morning QBing and saying how good players have been while they're projecting what players will be. In the real world, a player's value is based on what his perceived future performance will be. His past performance is only relevant to the extent it helps a team project.

wouldnt ****ing touch him with a 10 foot stick... Id never trade anything for a patriots player... The patriots will get a first for him and draft the next jerry rice or reggie white and jimmy G will be out of football in 2 years... When will we learn that the actual players the patriots have are mediocre **** and Bill is a god who turns lemons into a multi trillion dollar lemonade corporation.

BB- http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/king_midas.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast