Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Spring Training is Here

What are your guys thought on roster battles?

I am most interested in the starting catcher battle. I would like to see Susac turn into the starter but part of me would also like Pina to get a shot. Bandy to me seems like the likely backup but I wouldn't be surprised with any combination of the 3. Here is my current 25 man roster.

C-Susac 1B-Thames 2B-Villar SS-Arcia 3B-Shaw LF-Braun CF-Broxton RF-Santana
    Bench-Bandy, Perez, Gennett, Niewenheis, Aguilar

Rotation- Guerra, Nelson, Davies, Anderson, Garza
    Pen- Feliz, Peralta, Knebel, Torres, Marinez, Milone, Webb

I prefer 13 bats and 12 arms to start the year and after a couple weeks switch to 13 arms and 12 bats when someone goes down. I think ultimately the Brewers give Aguilar the last bench spot because we have Scooter and Kirk as lefty options and Aguilar give some pop of the bench and a platoon option with Thames at 1st. Webb and Milone get my nod for the last bullpen spots because Magnifico and Barnes can go to AAA and provide help when needed. Also Garza gets the #5 spot over Peralta because I think Peralta can be a better relief pitcher and Garza gets a shot to build some kind of trade value.

I would tend to agree. We have 3 catchers fighting for 2 spots. Unless scooter is dealt, I think our infield and backup infielders are sort of set. Our of is probably relatively set as well, with Kirk likely being #4. They seem to really like him as a 4th option and as a left handed bat.

The last bench spot, where you have Aguilar, is definitely the wild card. He makes sense, but is far from a lock. We likely need a guy who can play first, but Perez and Shaw can both play their if needed.

We have 6 guys for 5 rotation spots as well. It'll be interesting to see who wins out there, but I'm not sure it'll matter much. All 6 will likely get a shot at some point and hader likely gets a shot at some point this year too. The bullpen is a real question mark. There's probably at least 2 spots that are relatively open and another couple that can be won. I'm not sure there's more than 2-3 spots that are relative locks in our bullpen.

It should be an interesting spring, but could be a little boring too. I don't think Brinson and hader (or any of the other top guys) really have a great shot at breaking camp with the brewers unless there's a couple injuries. I think both guys get a shot relatively early if they play well, but I'm sure we'll stash them for a bit to not use up their years or service.

I actually think Jorge Lopez would be the dark horse to make a spot. He struggled so bad in AAA because the air ate up his curveball and his stuff all feeds of that pitxh (like Yo did). Sending him to AA would be counterproductive, and he was the best pitcher in his winter ball circuit (Puerto Rico I think). With a strong spring I wouldn't be surprised if he wins the 5th spot or gets a long man position in the pen just because of a lack of a better alternative. I could see Hader being in the same position as well.

I agree there really isn't big headlines or top prospects who can take over a spot and make the spring more interesting. Catcher and the last 2-3 roster spots are about it.

I think Lopez is a pretty big long shot though and may need an injury. We have 6 guys who probably should get a chance to start. Heck, we probably have 7 if you include jungmann. I think it's wise (and we'll probably do it) to really give those "established" guys a shot to flesh out what they are before we bring up Lopez or hader.

I think peralta gets a spot unless his spring is awful. He's essentially in a make or break year, and since we aren't expecting to be real competitors, I'd give him one last shot to start the season. Same thing goes for jungmann and to a lesser extent Nelson (as I think he's been the best gu and is the best guy of that bunch.) It also makes sense to let Garza try to build his stock. And Anderson probably earned his opportunity at the end of last year. I think it makes sense to cycle through those 6 or 7 before starting the clock on Lopez and hader, even if they throw well in spring.

I basically feel the same way with Brinson. Even if he has a great spring, it's probably more beneficial to save his service time and figure out who Broxton and Santana are as players before giving Brinson the call.

I agree. I see Paralta starting the year in that Anderson/Garza slot. He's got higher upside and its not like either of those guys is anything to write home about.

I see Brinson getting called up eventually, but only if Santana really struggles early or we trade Braun. None of our top prospects will start the year in the MLB, better to save that extra year of control. Broxton, Thames, Shaw, Santana, Arcia, and of course catcher are all huge question marks for me.

Those guys are question marks, but I think regardless of spring performance they are all going to be given plenty of time in the bigs early to figure out who they are.

We have plenty of questions, but not many roster decisions pending trades or injury. I think positionaly we have 3 catchers fighting for 2 spots. And if we only keep 12 hitters, then the rest of the spots are probably accounted for. If we keep 13 hitters, then that 13th spot is probably open.

As for pitchers, we have 6 guys fighting for 5 spots (seems as if jungmann is moving to the bullpen). I'm guessing the loser of the 5th spot moves to the pen. So that leaves 6-7 open spots. Feliz and Torres are pretty much locks. Knebel and Martinez are probably in pretty good shape. So really, we probably have 2-3 bullpen spots open, one of which almost certainly will be a lefty. I'd think suter and Milone are the leaders for that spot. So really there aren't a ton of spots that are up in the air for me.

So really, for me we have 20 of our 25 spots probably filled barring trade or injury. Those final 5 spots are then filled by 2 catchers, 2 relief pitchers and 1 reliever of positional guy. Probably not the most eventful spring training from a competition standpoint.

It's still early but guys like Broxton, Gennett, Pina, Cordell, Phillips, Santana, Villar, Perez, Arcia, and Brinson are all hitting .300 + in 10-20 plate appearences. I've been impressed with Susac behind the plate in the 2 games I've watched. No pitcher has more than 4 innings so it's a bit hard to judge much on the mound.

They score 13 yesterday, Erceg was 2-2 with 2 dingers and 5 rbis. I didn't think he would even play much in spring.

I'm super excited about erceg. I'm hoping he picks up where he left off last season and he'll be a top 50 prospect by the end of the year if he does.

He has all the tools to be a very good 3B. He may never be a 40 homer guy, but he might be the best bet to a middle of the order bat in our farm. I could actually see him developing into a better defensive version of A-Ram.

The Crew scored 24 runs yesterday, wow. These young players are really looking like things have clicked over the off-season. If the pitching staff can be average this team has a shot at contending for a wild-card spot. Jesus Aguilar is looking really good, I'm not ready to say he is challenging Thames for the 1st base job but .462/.563/3 hrs/26 abs looks quite amazing on a stat line.

Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    The Crew scored 24 runs yesterday, wow. These young players are really looking like things have clicked over the off-season. If the pitching staff can be average this team has a shot at contending for a wild-card spot. Jesus Aguilar is looking really good, I'm not ready to say he is challenging Thames for the 1st base job but .462/.563/3 hrs/26 abs looks quite amazing on a stat line.
    Hard to not get excited about some of the young talent on the team. Cordell and Aguilar have looked good and Brinson as well. This team is loaded with offensive talent. Hopefully some of the young pitchers can pan out and this team will really be in business.