Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Yet that doesn’t mean that spring numbers need to be ignored completely. A couple years ago, Dan Rosenheck of The Economist (hat-tip to David Schoenfield of ESPN.com) suggested that there was a clear conclusion to draw from the spring based on the peripheral statistics of a player’s walk and strikeout rate, finding that those numbers tend to help identify players likely to overperform or underperform their projections.

In that vein, one of the more notable numbers of the spring is that for all the talk of Sandoval’s improved conditioning and life on the field, in 21 plate appearances this spring, he has yet to walk while punching out seven times (once more than he struck out in 52 spring training plate appearances a year ago).

It’s worth noting that in 2015, Sandoval struck out nine times without a walk – the first time he’d ever gone a full spring without a free pass. That exhibition season served as a prelude to a career-worst regular season ratio of 2.7 strikeouts per walk, which in turn served as evidence of a worsening approach that helped set the stage for the worst season of the third baseman’s career.
    Speier

The Red Sox trimmed their spring training roster, moving six players to minor league camp. Starters Owens and Johnson and reliever Brandon Workman were optioned to Triple A Pawtucket, while third baseman Rafael Devers, outfielder Junior Lake and catcher Jordan Procyshen were reassigned to minor league camp.

Owens and Johnson both struggled with their control, while Workman (1.29 ERA, 6 strikeouts, 3 walks in 7 innings) showed a strong curveball but his fastball velocity sat in the 88-90 range, a few ticks below where the Sox would like to see him.

For Devers, the invitation to big league spring training was less about any expectations that he would be anywhere close to major league ready – he’s slated to open this year in Double A – and more to familiarize him with both the big league environment and staff and some of the players whom the Red Sox hope will be his future teammates.

Devers hit .136/.208/.136 with two walks and three strikeouts this spring. Farrell said that his “loose hands” created excitement about his offensive potential and also translated well to his defense, but he noted that the thick-bodied 20-year-old will also need to focus on “body composition and physique” to maintain the defensive range and agility to play third.

For the first time since he underwent Tommy John surgery last June, Carson Smith threw off a mound, logging 15 pitches (at less than full intensity). Righthander Tyler Thornburg, whose spring has been delayed by shoulder fatigue, has extended his long toss program to 180 feet and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session off a mound on Tuesday.
    Speier
    Last edited by RedSoxtober; 03-14-2017 at 12:45 PM.

It's just spring training, but I like the drive Sam Travis has put into the ball. If Hanley or Moreland gets injured, Travis should be able to step in nicely. With Moreland on a one year deal, he could start next year as well.

Sandoval is 13-for-39 (.333 batting average) with three home runs, two doubles, 11 RBIs, six runs, one walk and 11 strikeouts this spring.

He also hasn't made an error in 25 total chances at third base.
    masslive

I know it's just ST but hopefully he can put up these numbers during regular season

Drew Pomeranz departed Sunday's start against the Twins after two innings with tightness in his left triceps.
    The Red Sox are calling Pomeranz's removal precautionary, so there doesn't appear to be concern at this point that it's overly serious. However, the left-hander was already behind schedule after being given a stem cell injection in his elbow last October. This setback, even if it's indeed small, might make it hard for him to be ready by Opening Day. It could give a guy like Kyle Kendrick a shot at some early-season starts.
    Ian Browne

When the deal went down I was not happy because I doubted that he'd make an impact late in the season. Yet I realized that the deal would be ultimately evaluated at the end of two more years of control. I hope that his career trend, that appears to be bubbling up again in ST, can be overcome.

If Pomeranz stays on schedule for the rest of the spring, the Red Sox may find it easy to work around this modest setback. The team can backdate a season-opening disabled list to March 30, three days before the first game of the MLB season. If that occurs, Pomeranz could join the rotation – if healthy and ready – on April 9, the sixth game of the year and the first occasion when the team will require a fifth starter.

That said, longer-term concerns remain. Pomeranz didn’t require a disabled list stint last year, but health issues – identified by Pomeranz as a flexor tendon issue in his left forearm – helped push him to the bullpen at the end of 2016 and prompted a stem cell treatment in the offseason. That was merely the latest in a long dossier of injuries.

■ In 2015, Pomeranz landed on the DL in May with a shoulder issue that required eventual surgery. After his activation, the A’s moved him from the rotation to the bullpen. Oakland’s view of Pomeranz as a reliever rather than a starter contributed to their openness to trading him.

■ In 2014, Pomeranz landed on the DL with a broken right wrist – a freak injury incurred when he punched a chair, but one that is nonetheless part of his history of injuries.

■ In 2013, while a member of the Rockies, Pomeranz landed on the DL with biceps tendinitis that sidelined him for nearly two months. When he was activated in September, the Rockies moved him to the bullpen and then traded him in the offseason.

Three teams have traded Pomeranz at the conclusion of seasons in which injuries forced him from the rotation to the bullpen. His 174-inning workload last year represented not merely a career-high but an outlier. At a time when the Red Sox will be without Price from an as-yet undetermined duration at the start of the year, the team’s rotation is relying on Pomeranz to do something he’s never done before – demonstrate a level of reliability and sustainable health.

The fact that Pomeranz hasn’t had a full, healthy season in a rotation doesn’t mean he can’t, but it does raise questions about the probability that he will do so. Even if he is in the rotation at the start of the year, questions will remain about his ability to stay there.
    Speier

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    It's just spring training, but I like the drive Sam Travis has put into the ball. If Hanley or Moreland gets injured, Travis should be able to step in nicely. With Moreland on a one year deal, he could start next year as well.
    I would be surprised if he's not THE plan at 1B for 2018 but I think he's got a fair bit of work to do with the glove first.

The ongoing offensive show by Sam Travis in spring training suggests a player who looks like his bat is close to helping in the big leagues. But given that the first baseman’s glove right now would be a below average attribute in the big leagues, and that he has just 47 Triple A games on his resume due to a torn ACL suffered last May, Travis will require further minor league seasoning to start the year.
    Speier

Sale wow 9K vs Yanks. This is going to be an awesome season

There was plenty to read into when digesting the plans for the Red Sox Thursday.
    First, the fact that Rick Porcello was pitching to Sandy Leon in a minor-league game on the back field at JetBlue Park was no coincidence. For one, John Farrell didn’t want Porcello to be pitching against the team, the Pirates, he would be facing Opening Day.

Secondly, the presence of Leon as Porcello’s battery-mate all but sealed the deal when it came to identifying who will start at catcher on Opening Day.

The starting lineup Farrell rolled out in the game against the Pirates also might have some meaning. Here is the Red Sox’ batting order against right-handed pitcher Drew Hutchinson: Dustin Pedroia 2B, Andrew Benintendi LF, Mookie Betts RF, Hanley Ramirez DH, Mitch Moreland 1B, Xander Bogaerts SS, Jackie Bradley Jr. CF, Pablo Sandoval 3B, Blake Swihart C.
    weei.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    weei.com
    Our lineup is looking very balanced and deep. I'm still not a Moreland believer, but whatever. I like the idea of Benintendi batting 2nd, but Xander should be 5, not 6. IMHO...

Well, there's a blast from the past. Completely agree. I think Farrell's idea is to break up the RHB which makes a little sense.

On Monday morning, the team optioned catcher Blake Swihart and shortstop Deven Marrero to Triple-A Pawtucket. Also, the Sox sent catcher Dan Butler and first baseman Sam Travis to minor league camp.

Swihart is the biggest name, but it was pretty much assumed he would start the year in Pawtucket given he is the only catcher with options.

Sandy Leon and Christian Vazquez will be the two catchers on the roster.

Travis is a name to watch as he missed the majority of last season with an ACL tear, but the former second-round pick could potentially be added to the big league roster at some point this season. Some view him as the first baseman of the future and was the reason why the organization didn’t sign one to a big deal this offseason.
    weei.com

Quote Originally Posted by americaspasttim View Post
    Our lineup is looking very balanced and deep. I'm still not a Moreland believer, but whatever. I like the idea of Benintendi batting 2nd, but Xander should be 5, not 6. IMHO...
    Agreed. Not sure how I feel about putting a .233/.298/.422 guy on the 5 spot in the order. I'd slide Xander, JBJ, and Pablo up and have Moreland bat 8th or 7th.

Haters gonna hate

Edro has looked amazing this spring, can't wait for the regular season.

With Thornburg likely being DL bound, our bullpen will probably look like this.

Kimbrel
    Kelly
    Barnes
    Hembree
    Ross
    Abad
    Scott

It's not bad or anything but there's certainly question marks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast