Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duke vs UNC

Duke vs UNC

Anyone watching?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Probably the best half of basketball I've seen all season. No whistles, up and down, halfcourt execution. This is what basketball should be - maybe Adam Silver should be taking notes.

Duke vs UNC

Silver should definately get rid of continuation and hire Maria Taylor

Continuation, the chippy calls on the perimeter 30 feet from the basket, the ridiculous rules on jumpshooters, and (most importantly) the physicality that college allows on the drive. And all of this is after college has cleaned up its freedom of motion rules over the last few years - it used to be way more physical. NBA has just gone overboard on how it officiates. If the NBA would just call fouls the same on slashers as they do on post players then we'd see the post game return, instead of having 2 totally different sets of rules depending on whether you're starting your motion above or below the FT line extended.

Anyway, enough ranting about the matador league. That was a great game. 2nd half not quite as good as the 1st but still very entertaining. ACC is really interesting this year - I've really only watched Duke and ND (because I like Vasturia) but UVA, Louisville, UNC, and of course FSU have impressed me. Probably FSU the most. I mainly watch SEC ball but I try to watch ACC as much as possible and this is a banner year for the conference.

I'm a Duke fan but I'm just not sure about their chances this year. Jefferson is a nice player but they don't have much frontcourt defensive depth, and I think it's no coincidence that when Allen and Kennard play well they reel off wins. Tatum was supposed to be Grant Hill 2.0 and he's definitely got some moves and talent but isn't a good collegiate defender, team offensive player, and isn't a great rebounder. If Duke ran their offense through him he'd be more valuable but they have 2 better offensive players than him as it is.

It's too bad Giles has struggled with injury because he's really what Duke needed to develop in order to feel really good about their tournament chances. As is they'll rely on a combo forward whose calling card now and in the future will be offense to try to fit into the rest of their starting 4 - all of whom are very good veterans. That last fact alone will always give them a chance along with Kennard's Larry Bird-light scoring ability.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Continuation, the chippy calls on the perimeter 30 feet from the basket, the ridiculous rules on jumpshooters, and (most importantly) the physicality that college allows on the drive. And all of this is after college has cleaned up its freedom of motion rules over the last few years - it used to be way more physical. NBA has just gone overboard on how it officiates. If the NBA would just call fouls the same on slashers as they do on post players then we'd see the post game return, instead of having 2 totally different sets of rules depending on whether you're starting your motion above or below the FT line extended.

Anyway, enough ranting about the matador league. That was a great game. 2nd half not quite as good as the 1st but still very entertaining. ACC is really interesting this year - I've really only watched Duke and ND (because I like Vasturia) but UVA, Louisville, UNC, and of course FSU have impressed me. Probably FSU the most. I mainly watch SEC ball but I try to watch ACC as much as possible and this is a banner year for the conference.

I'm a Duke fan but I'm just not sure about their chances this year. Jefferson is a nice player but they don't have much frontcourt defensive depth, and I think it's no coincidence that when Allen and Kennard play well they reel off wins. Tatum was supposed to be Grant Hill 2.0 and he's definitely got some moves and talent but isn't a good collegiate defender, team offensive player, and isn't a great rebounder. If Duke ran their offense through him he'd be more valuable but they have 2 better offensive players than him as it is.

It's too bad Giles has struggled with injury because he's really what Duke needed to develop in order to feel really good about their tournament chances. As is they'll rely on a combo forward whose calling card now and in the future will be offense to try to fit into the rest of their starting 4 - all of whom are very good veterans. That last fact alone will always give them a chance along with Kennard's Larry Bird-light scoring ability.
    There are a lot jokes about NBA officiating but no really complains about continuation. You can get hit, gather take 4 steps and get an and one. Or you can draw a foul and throw the in the stands and get 2 shots

I agree totally about continuation. It's a star call, and the NBA loves it though. I flipped to the NBA game between the Duke and UCLA game and saw them call a shooting foul on a Derrick Williams corner 3. I immediately changed channels. That is a good example though of the stupid jumpshot rules. Nobody pays to see league minimum players shoot FTs as a result of a play over 20 feet from the hoop. In fact I think they said the Cavs signed him this week.

If duke wins the ACC they have to be a 1 seed

Duke/ND is going to be great tonight. I've watched a lot of ACC and aside from UNC they are the two best teams - and it's hard to say either is appreciably worse than UNC.

Duke had trouble with UNC and Louisville's size but the emergence of Tatum's scoring and work on the glass, along with some Giles and Allen sprinkled in, got them W's over both. I feel a lot better about their chances in the tourny after seeing what they did to 2 very deep and very big teams.

ND on the other hand would be who I would counsel shrewd gamblers to put NCAA tourny money on. I don't know what their odds are but they're definitely not among the 8 or so favored teams. However they're a veteran team that can pass, defend, score inside and out, and always plays hard. To me that is a recipe for a winning team no matter how much "talent" may be on other squads. I hate ND as a school (I once bought a copy of Rudy just to burn it) but I really like their team this year. Most fun to watch in the country IMO.

Great wins, Duke. Nice payback on UNC. Still can get knocked out early because you can't exactly trust this squad...but what a run in this ACC tourney. Champs.

"Once bought a copy of Rudy just to burn it"

-great run from duke. Let's see if they peaked too early..:

Yeah it was a great run by Duke, but they certainly had the talent to do it. Feel bad about Colson twisting his ankle with about 8 minutes left. Even though he came back he didn't look as bouncy, especially at first. I feel like the game could have been different if that doesn't happen because Duke only started to take control after that.

Still, Duke did a great job to win 4 games in 4 days. It's a good thing they aren't NBA players or they'd lose first round for sure because of fatigue (NCAA=slave drivers). I think this team is like Calipari teams or the last Duke champ team because they've got 3 one-and-done caliber freshmen in their 7-man and, like Cal teams, they've come on strong once the rookies got settled into college ball. They've got 4 really good veterans and are playing well at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Yeah it was a great run by Duke, but they certainly had the talent to do it. Feel bad about Colson twisting his ankle with about 8 minutes left. Even though he came back he didn't look as bouncy, especially at first. I feel like the game could have been different if that doesn't happen because Duke only started to take control after that.

Still, Duke did a great job to win 4 games in 4 days. It's a good thing they aren't NBA players or they'd lose first round for sure because of fatigue (NCAA=slave drivers). I think this team is like Calipari teams or the last Duke champ team because they've got 3 one-and-done caliber freshmen in their 7-man and, like Cal teams, they've come on strong once the rookies got settled into college ball. They've got 4 really good veterans and are playing well at the right time.
    How does Duke not only get shafted out of the 1 seed but wind up in a bracket with Nova? Shouldn't the bottom two be with Nova?

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    How does Duke not only get shafted out of the 1 seed but wind up in a bracket with Nova? Shouldn't the bottom two be with Nova?

TBH, UNC shouldn't have gotten a number 1 seed. they have a worse record vs. Kentucky and Kentucky beat them heads up. You could argue a Pac-10 should have gotten a number 1 seed. Duke is proper with a number two seed, too many losses for an argument to be a 1 seed.

Duke vs UNC

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    TBH, UNC shouldn't have gotten a number 1 seed. they have a worse record vs. Kentucky and Kentucky beat them heads up. You could argue a Pac-10 should have gotten a number 1 seed. Duke is proper with a number two seed, too many losses for an argument to be a 1 seed.
    They have one more loss then UNC. They beat them 2 out of 3 times, half there loses are when coach k was out, and they finished on a high. They have good argument for a 1 and definately shouldn't be lined up with the top 1 seed even if you make them a 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post

I really don't get too wrapped up in seeding like many college fans. I see why Duke missed out even though they finished stronger than any team in the country - though that's partially by virtue of how tough the ACC tourny was this year. They were really up and down for a lot of ACC play whereas UNC (along with Kansas) went end to end as a high caliber team and pretty tough schedules until their tourny exits. As a Duke and Florida fan I kind of wish they were in separate brackets but I'm also stoked for the possibility of a rematch.

At the end of the day I don't think Florida has the scoring ability to come back if they get down, which it's a safe bet any team would have to do at some point and especially with the teams in Florida's path. Their offense relies a lot on transition looks and as teams get conservative with leads it's harder to come by that. It's also why Florida has offensive lulls in the middle of halves when teams are just trying to conserve energy for the end of the game or to play D. They've got a championship caliber defense though and I'm hoping for a run.

I also don't think Duke has it in them to go all the way. Their defense is too spotty for me to feel comfortable with them getting stops. Tatum's emergence as a factor on the glass and as a scorer helps but they've essentially only got one guard and one forward that can impact a game with their defense. That puts a lot of pressure on Tatum and Kennard to drop 20 every game. It happened in the ACC but I think typically it's the consistent teams that win even if there are exceptions.

My Final Four picks are Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Louisville, Butler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast