Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duke vs UNC

Duke's entire season would have probably been different if Allen hadn't had the turf toe that lingered. He was a totally different player from last year, where he had a legitimate national Player of the Year argument. I think he's got a role player future in the NBA if he wants it and stays healthy, but I don't know if he's a starter. He's athletic enough but I don't know if his shot is good enough and he's not an NBA PG.

Cool contrast of games tomorrow. Florida/South Carolina will be a defensive battle and then UNC/Kentucky will likely play in the 80s afterward. Last night's Florida win nearly gave me a heart attack.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Duke's entire season would have probably been different if Allen hadn't had the turf toe that lingered. He was a totally different player from last year, where he had a legitimate national Player of the Year argument. I think he's got a role player future in the NBA if he wants it and stays healthy, but I don't know if he's a starter. He's athletic enough but I don't know if his shot is good enough and he's not an NBA PG.

Cool contrast of games tomorrow. Florida/South Carolina will be a defensive battle and then UNC/Kentucky will likely play in the 80s afterward. Last night's Florida win nearly gave me a heart attack.
    Allen can shoot and he also a very good passer. His handle is loose and I don't think he can defend anyone- don't he can move well enough laterally to stick in the league. He is fun to watch though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess SC is legit

Thornwell is, and their team D. It's fun to watch how Martin uses Thornwell considering he is so good at everything. He's built a great system that maximizes his role players around a star, rather than the other way around as is often the case in the NBA.

Sad that Florida had a win if they could have finished but this was what I was afraid of going into the tournament - not being able to score to end games against good D. Allen is a good scorer but he's just not there yet as an all-around scorer like Thornwell is. The rest of the team is wildly inconsistent offensively, which leads to lulls. Without our starting center we had no post game to play with, which is the best way to jumpstart an offense. Disappointing loss but I think Florida will be better next year.

And coach cal loses. Sorry flea but a GREAT day of college ball

UNC proved their worth for that 1 seed. the SEC proved they were under-rated and in hindsight should have gotten more consideration for a 1 seed. All in all though I think they got the 1 seeds right even with Nova and Kansas (choke city) not making the final four.

Quote Originally Posted by Heediot View Post
    UNC proved their worth for that 1 seed. the SEC proved they were under-rated and in hindsight should have gotten more consideration for a 1 seed. All in all though I think they got the 1 seeds right even with Nova and Kansas (choke city) not making the final four.
    I think we saw a lot of parity this year. the SEC was underrated but we also had more teams then normal with Final Four potential

Interested to see how Frank Martin schemes around the Gonzaga big man. South Carolina D is primarily perimeter oriented but they have size between their 2 starting bigs. Kotsar is young though and definitely not ready to be thrown into the torture chamber with a low-post man as good as that Zag guy. I'd expect a lot of doubles, kickouts, etc. and it may come down to whether Gonzaga is hot outside.

On offense South Carolina has been hot all tournament but they were really in the regular season outside of Thornwell and occasionally Dozier or Kotsar. Thornwell will get his but SC usually is a bad shooting team and the going will be tough inside for points. I predict Gonzaga pulling away in the middle of the second half and winning 71-60 - though I'm rooting for South Carolina to go all the way.

In the nightcap I've got UNC winning a close one. If Barry can't move like he should it could be a loss but NC just has so much depth and upper class talent. To be honest I've only watched Oregon twice this season now and that one guy impressed me along with their D but I can't really speak to how well they match up. As long as UNC has learned to sit on a lead I think they'll be fine. Hate to say it but I think it's UNC's year after last year's heartbreak.

Even tho Oregon made their share of mistakes, there were a few glaring calls/non-calls by the officials late in the game that helped NC hold my Ducks off. Some suggest Meeks pushed off on that last FT miss...maybe, but that's not what I mean. Brooks got his 5th foul on what should have been a jump ball. Josh Jackson is hit by the ball while standing out of bounds and they call jump ball. Ducks drive not once but twice and get knocked down while not getting a foul call.....any one of those called correctly and maybe the Ducks win.

But when you lose by one, a lot of plays can be 'the one' that cost you....like launching too many contested threes...or not boxing out on FTs.

Still proud they got that close to the Natty, especially given they didn't just lose Boucher, they lost him 1 game before the tournament and had to adjust that quickly to not having such an impactful big.

Jordan Bell is gonna look great in a Blazer uni
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 04-02-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Both very enjoyable Final Four games. I agree Site, UNC benefited from very generous calls in a close game yet again in the tournament. If I were in my favorite thread on PSD I might say there's some funny business going on.

Even tho I run a fantasy sports site, I've become more and more convinced that Vegas influences how some of these things get officiated....and why baseball is becoming my favorite sport because, of team games, it's the least influenced by officiating...other than balls and strikes.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Even tho I run a fantasy sports site, I've become more and more convinced that Vegas influences how some of these things get officiated....and why baseball is becoming my favorite sport because, of team games, it's the least influenced by officiating...other than balls and strikes.
    Oh yes , remember that block on the 3 pointer with minutes left, I forgot which gonzaga player was blocked ( but there was no block it was a air ball) ... 10 seconds later after that bs call on UNC, Zaga hits a 3 ... you're right though
    Last edited by DarkKnight; 04-04-2017 at 08:45 AM.

officiating was bad. The refs just can't accept that they are not there to put their stamp on the game

Great first half, refs ruined the 2nd half. Pathetic. I have to assume there was an agenda because why else would you call a game between 2 physical post-up teams like it's a Lebron James vs. James Harden FT contest?

It happened so many times for UNC this tournament that it's hard to believe something wasn't up. Arkansas there were blatant missed calls that were even reviewed and not overturned, Oregon game was stupid, and the refs had all 3 primary bigs of Gonzaga in foul trouble by like the 17:00 mark. And that was their team's advantage - the wings and guards are just better for UNC. Just completely unacceptable and it ruined what could have been an all-time game.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123