Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is the Cap Situation

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...tion-is-bleak/

Good article about the position the Bills are in. Things I have said all along. Assuming the cap goes up to 170 million, Bills have 24 Million in space.

Any team with a decently paid QB is close to the cap. Expect the trend to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Any team with a decently paid QB is close to the cap. Expect the trend to continue.
    Not entirely true. New England is in great cap shape right now. There are plenty of other teams well below the cap.

Quote Originally Posted by sabres11 View Post
    Not entirely true. New England is in great cap shape right now. There are plenty of other teams well below the cap.
    That's true but the reason we're getting capped out isn't Tyrod. It's Darius and Co.

That article actually makes me optimistic they can cut a few guys and keep the important players (Gilmore, Woods, Tyrod) while filling a couple holes with draft picks and the rest of the team with league minimum guys like they did last year. At least some of those guys from last year will be willing to come back for minimum salaries to give us a little added continuity (though I don't think it's nessissary with the new coaching staff).

Lorenzo Alexander's agent pretty much said he is gone. They are preparing for 5-10 Mill. per year on a short term deal.

There is not a chance in hell that Woods plays for Buffalo next year. Woods will get 5 year 40 million at the least. Id bet New England signs him.

Gilmore is also looking for 35 million dollar contract. No way he gets that from the Bills, but other teams will take the gamble.

Tyrod's new contract actually wouldn't hurt us as much as people think. He will be 15 mill against the cap. Brock Osweilor in Houston is 19million against the cap. Look at where Tyrod's contract would be ranked among other QB's.
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

Its not a bad deal.

No way woods gets 5X40 and especially not from NE. 4X24 and sticks win the bills once Tyrod is retained is my guess.

Sunu got 5 yrs 32 million from Atlanta.
    Marvin Jones got 5 yrs 40 million from Detroit.

Woods stats are better then theirs the last 3 yrs, especially when you think about Woods having EJ one year to throw to him and Jones and Sunu having Dalton, Stafford and Ryan throwing to them. Woods is going to get a huge payday. Woods in New England makes perfect sense. They got Hogan last year for a big paycheck, knowing he will take over for Amandola this next season. Woods can slide right in their, under their cap. We should all probably count on this being a certainty.

Now there are reports surfacing, (mostly I think coming from Vic Currucci of the Buffalo news' opinion), saying there is a possibility of McCoy being a salary cap casualty. With their beliefs being a team wont trade anything good for McCoy, because teams feel cutting McCoy is something they might have to do because of all of their free agents and the limited cap space they have. Curruci in an article a few days ago, wrote that there is probably no chance for the Bills to replace all these free agents with exactly the amount of money they have left to spend under the cap. That McCoy can be a casualty, via trade, or by getting cut. Especially adding in the fact that even if we let Tyrod go, another QB will be costly as well. Just another thing to keep our eye on. When the trade was made for McCoy, I said they better do something about his contract before it comes back to burry us.

I don't see it. There are too many guys they can cut before they get to McCoy.

It was Carrucci's own personal suggestion, not what he thinks the Bills will do. That's why it's called an opinion piece and it's not an actual report.

His opinion was that McCoy doesn't have much left in the tank and that the Bills should release or trade him now before it's too late. He also suggests the Bills would be fine at RB with a low-end free agent or a mid-round draft pick.

To add to that, Taylor (his salary currently counts towards the cap), Kyle Williams (I wouldn't want to see him go, but he'll be 34 before the season starts), Dan Carpenter, Corey Graham, Robey, and Easley will get the Bills over $50 million in cap space if they need it. I'm not suggesting they release all of these players, I'm simply showing that if needed, there's a way to handle it.

The best thing for the Bills to do is just eat it and maybe only re-sign Zach Brown. Everyone else is replaceable. Good teams aren't built through free agency anyway, it should be used more to supplement the team. No need to spend a bunch this offseason, when next offseason they will be able to enjoy lots of cap space.

I agree that Dareus' contract is a problem. In hindsight, that type of money should never be given to a player at that position. The Bills paid him what the market dictated based on other free agent DTs, but I think the NFL has gotten smarter about handing out that kind of contract to a DT. It should be reserved for QB's and Von Miller/J.J. Watt level of defensive players. Other than Dareus and maybe Clay (because of usage or lack there of), the Bills don't have any bad contracts, including if they decide to bring back Taylor.

I'm leaning harder toward the let Tyrod go side of the debate as the days progress here. I was never overly optimistic about next season, but it's looking more like a hard reset is in order.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

In 2018, we will have 80+ million in Salary Cap space. If we tank like the Sabres, sell off our assets for future picks, along with getting the first pick in the draft, just might be a good idea. We will know the direction this team is taking as soon as the Tyrod decision is made. Tanking for the first pick in the draft cannot be done with Tyrod on this team. We need Foles, Hoyer, or even Cardale Jones at the helm to accomplish that. People can ignore the Romo rumors. He will have a lot of teams interested and he will be interested in a lot of teams. AT almost 40 yrs old, The Bills will not be on his list.

I could accept that. Especially if dropping Tyrod, letting some of these guys walk, and hitting rock bottom gets us Sam Darnold.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013 2015

Now there are a lot of news reports saying the Bills and are "warming" up to the idea of keeping Tyrod. Tasker was saying he expected this, being that McDermott said he will not have an opinion on Tyrod, until he watches every single game from last season and McDermott has claimed to have accomplished that last week.

On NFL live, they said its almost a certainty, if Tyrod gets cut loose, he is going to the Broncos. Then we will all here about, how the Denver Broncos will be Super Bowl contenders with Tyrod at the helm. IMO, I would agree 100%.
    Last edited by sabres11; 02-23-2017 at 04:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast