Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bay View Post
    So here's the thing. The Browns, 49ers, and Bears all love Jimmy G. In fact the Bears have made him the "#1 priority". So its sounds like the Bears will make very good offer. So if the Browns want to beat the Bears, its the #12 pick. Then if the Bears still really want Jimmy its the 3rd overall pick
    I doubt we'll give you the #3 pick, maybe the 36th (Round 2) pick but definitely not the 3rd overall pick.

Colts cut D'Qwell Jackson, get $5.5M in space

-roto

Quote Originally Posted by Soop View Post
    I doubt we'll give you the #3 pick, maybe the 36th (Round 2) pick but definitely not the 3rd overall pick.
    Yeah, I'll eat a pencil if they get the #3 straight up for him.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

I said if the Browns offer the 12th overall. Its sounds like the Bears really want him, but if the Browns offer the 12th overall, then what happens next. Bears fans say easy pass, but what does the front office think. Because it sounds like he is their #1 target.

PAPI SMASH!

I said if the Browns offer the 12th overall. Its sounds like the Bears really want him, but if the Browns offer the 12th overall, then what happens next. Bears fans say easy pass, but what does the front office think. Because it sounds like he is their #1 target.
    I can't think of a draft in recent memory where Jimmy would go in the top 10. I doubt he nets a 3rd, in fact, if I'm the Bears, I'm laughing at the notion.

Carson, trust me, even if you turn out to be a really bad QB, BDawk4Prez will always defend you on PSD.

Pace isn't a fool. The only way I see the Pats getting a 1st round from us is if we traded down (with any team), the #3 pick is too valuable to trade for an unproven franchise QB.

The only reason Garoppolo is attracting all this interest is because the QB market is really bad. I think the Bears would go after Glennon in FA before they trade a first rounder for Garoppolo. I'd be interested to trade a 2nd for Garoppolo.

Carson Palmer will return in 2017.

-ESPN

If you live in Columbus, be on the lookout for a nutcase who physically attacked Jets ILB Darron Lee for no apparent reason. At least it ended way better than another celebrity attack in that same city several years ago when former Pantera guitarist Dimebag Darrell Abbott was shot to death while performing with his new band.

Pace isn't a fool. The only way I see the Pats getting a 1st round from us is if we traded down (with any team), the #3 pick is too valuable to trade for an unproven franchise QB.

The only reason Garoppolo is attracting all this interest is because the QB market is really bad. I think the Bears would go after Glennon in FA before they trade a first rounder for Garoppolo. I'd be interested to trade a 2nd for Garoppolo.
    Then you should sign Glennon or draft a QB. I wish you luck with that.

The Patriots don't NEED to trade Garropollo. I doubt they even want to trade him. But if they get an offer they can't refuse, they will. They're certainly not going to lose on a trade for him just to get rid of him. They spent a 2nd round pick and invested 3 years into him. They're not going to flip him for another 2nd round pick and start over. They'd just keep him, sign him, let him be the heir apparent.

A 2nd round pick won't get it done. You've got the Vikings giving up a 1st and 4th for Bradford. An oft injured QB who's 4 years older. That's your starting point in negotiations.

The Browns is where I think he ends up. Probably nets us #12 and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

City of Champions

Norcal transplant on central Oregon Coast
    Pats fans are insatiable. Just because someone is "their #1 target" it doesn't mean they'll grab their ankles with open cheeks. I think people have learned that the Pats system makes players look better than they are. Sure Minnesota did what they did, but they were a desperate potential playoff team without a QB. I'd rather just wait a year and get him as a FA. They can't pay him starter money while they gave Tom Brady. Other teams can.

All that said, it only takes one idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by OREcoast49er View Post
    Pats fans are insatiable. Just because someone is "their #1 target" it doesn't mean they'll grab their ankles with open cheeks. I think people have learned that the Pats system makes players look better than they are. Sure Minnesota did what they did, but they were a desperate potential playoff team without a QB. I'd rather just wait a year and get him as a FA. They can't pay him starter money while they gave Tom Brady. Other teams can.

All that said, it only takes one idiot.
    Brady's cap hit is $14 million. They've already spoken about giving him an extension. When they do, they can lower his cap hit by $4 million by restructuring and spreading out the guaranteed money. $10 million is nothing for a starting QB when you consider what the top QB's make. Based on last years QB numbers...There would be 24 QB's making more than that.

With Brady on the books for $10 million...It's completely feasible for the Patriots to extend Jimmy this offseason or next. Convincing him that he's the heir apparent. By backing up Brady for ~3 more years...He will take over the reigns in a great situation (one much better than the Browns or Bears). He'll have 3 less years of hits on his body which should extend his career. They can sign him to a front loaded contract ...Say they sign him for 5 Years $80 million.

2018 - $10 mil
    2019 - $12 mil
    2020 - $12 mil - last year as back up
    2021 - $23 mil
    2022 - $23 mil

He'll be paid well to be the back up (Brady+Garoppollo cap wise is equivalent to any QB of Brady's caliber) and as soon as he takes over, he'll be paid as a top flight QB without even having to prove anything. He'll be in a great system that he knows in and out. He'll be on a much better team than anyone throwing money at him in Free Agency. He'll assume the starter role at age 28 and still have 7 good years in him, possibly more.

Now there's no guarantee he plays along with all of that. But it's certainly a solid option. He could very well get paid a ton by a crappy team and flunk out of the league in 3 years due to being in a bad situation. There's inherent risks to both sides.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Oakmont_4 View Post
    Brady's cap hit is $14 million. They've already spoken about giving him an extension. When they do, they can lower his cap hit by $4 million by restructuring and spreading out the guaranteed money. $10 million is nothing for a starting QB when you consider what the top QB's make. Based on last years QB numbers...There would be 24 QB's making more than that.

With Brady on the books for $10 million...It's completely feasible for the Patriots to extend Jimmy this offseason or next. Convincing him that he's the heir apparent. By backing up Brady for ~3 more years...He will take over the reigns in a great situation (one much better than the Browns or Bears). He'll have 3 less years of hits on his body which should extend his career. They can sign him to a front loaded contract ...Say they sign him for 5 Years $80 million.

2018 - $10 mil
    2019 - $12 mil
    2020 - $12 mil - last year as back up
    2021 - $23 mil
    2022 - $23 mil

He'll be paid well to be the back up (Brady+Garoppollo cap wise is equivalent to any QB of Brady's caliber) and as soon as he takes over, he'll be paid as a top flight QB without even having to prove anything. He'll be in a great system that he knows in and out. He'll be on a much better team than anyone throwing money at him in Free Agency. He'll assume the starter role at age 28 and still have 7 good years in him, possibly more.

Now there's no guarantee he plays along with all of that. But it's certainly a solid option. He could very well get paid a ton by a crappy team and flunk out of the league in 3 years due to being in a bad situation. There's inherent risks to both sides.
    Any QB who has spent his first 4 years on the bench that is cool with sitting 3 more years on the bench is NOT a franchise QB. If he has any desire to excel in the league you know he's looking to start ASAP, regardless of what team its for. Dude would be like 28 before ever being a starter, which would be weird considering he was a 2nd round pick.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

Then pay him and keep him. That's what I'd rather see. I don't want to see some idiot GM give up a top 12 pick that Belichek turns into like 4 2's and buys 2 or 3 more SB appearances. Invest heavily in the QB position so other guys have to leave. I'd love that.

Of course it won't matter because Belichek can pretty much win with whoever.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Any QB who has spent his first 4 years on the bench that is cool with sitting 3 more years on the bench is NOT a franchise QB. If he has any desire to excel in the league you know he's looking to start ASAP, regardless of what team its for. Dude would be like 28 before ever being a starter, which would be weird considering he was a 2nd round pick.
    Good point.

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Of course he wants to start ASAP. But that's a short sighted view. It's a unique situation. If the Patriots paid him like that, it would guarantee he's a starter at some point, max 3 years but it could be even sooner than that if anything happens to Brady. You wouldn't want a guy who's smart enough to take $80 million to wait 3 years and be in a great situation? You'd rather have a guy take $80 million that wants to be in a crappy situation so he can start for 3 more years at the same money? That makes not sense.

It's a different scenario than your typical back up QB. Generally the back up QB has no light at the end of the tunnel because he's blocked by someone who's expected to be there for a while, so they leave for the first opportunity. I don't blame them one bit in that scenario. But that's different than NE at the present moment. Even though he won't start immediately, there's already light at the end of the tunnel to starting due to Brady's age.

It's a smart decision. I doubt any team throws $100 mil at him in Free Agency. He'd get about the same money with the Patriots. And he wouldn't even have to play for 3 of those years to get the same money. Its a business and that's a smart business decision.

City of Champions

Page 2 of 153 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast