Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast

Offseason thread

Hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but here's where we stand. As BB said, we're 5 weeks behind the rest of the NFL.

Roster Breakdown pre free agency/draft
    QB – Brady, Garappollo, Brissett
    RB – Lewis, White, Foster
    FB – Develin
    WR – Edelman, Hogan, Amendola, Mitchell, Slater
    TE – Gronk, Housler
    T - Solder, Cannon, Waddle
    G - Thuney, Mason, Jackson, Karras
    C - Andrews

22 Players

DT – Brown, Valentine
    DE/OLB – Flowers, Ninkovich, Van Noy, McClellin
    LB Roberts, Freeny
    CB – Butler, Rowe, Jones, Jones
    S – McCourty, Ebner
    S – Chung, Richards

16 players

K - Gost
    P - Allen
    ST – Cardona

3 Players

We have about $65 million in cap space.

We should easily be able to re-sign Hightower and Butler. Plus pick and choose a few other free agents.

We can free up additional money with moves like extending Brady, cut/renegotiate Amendola, trade Jimmy.

City of Champions

Some weak areas...As of now

LB
    CB
    #2 TE
    RB
    OL
    DL

Depending who we can re-sign will dictate where we go in the draft.

The guys I hope to re-sign (top targets)
    Hightower
    Butler
    Branch
    Develin
    Long
    Floyd

The top 2 are huge losses if we can't re-sign. We have enough cap space to get it done.

Branch is kind of a tier of his own. I hope to bring him back, he was vital in the middle. Not a guy you break the bank for. But hopefully a slight raise and an incentive laden contract gets him back.

The bottom 3 I think can be brought back relatively cheap. Good role players for this team. Floyd has a high upside.

I think I let the following walk
    Vollmer
    Bolden

That leaves the following - These guys will depend on price and need as far as how we view and draft/sign free agents

Sheard - I'd take him back at below market ($6 mil)
    Bennett - I'd take him back at below market ($5-6 mil)
    Mingo - I’d take him back at a low level number, if not, see ya. ST player at best
    Harmon – I’d love to have him back, but I don’t think it’s in the cards, he’s gonna get paid.
    Ryan - I’d love to have him back, but I don’t think it’s in the cards, he’s gonna get paid.
    Blount – Unless he comes back for around $1-2 mil, let him walk

City of Champions

I hope we can keep one of Harmon or Ryan. I would hate to lose two big secondary pieces in the same offseason.

I imagine we keep Hightower & Butler, but who knows about the rest. My guess is... Blount Bennett Sheard Harmon & Ryan will get paid somewhere else. Long still looks hungry for more, I think he signs back discount. Branch is 50/50 depends on how far along they believe Brown is. Floyd is gone & DA only stays at a discount.

If we can flip JimmyG for picks we should be able to keep or add back some depth. I would hate to lose all that defense in one off season, but won't be surprised either way.

I'd like to see Floyd back because I think if he integrates himself into the offense he adds a new dynamic that can make us harder to defend. Could be tough cap wise but I'd love so much to re-sign him and work something out with DA. We'd be legitimately 5 deep at WR with so much potential to exploit any style of D. Amendola could be the full time PR with that kind of depth too and solve our issues there.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Floyd didn't prove much, so he's liable to sign a one year make good deal.

Hightower could get a $15M per type deal, with his health, I'd let him walk.

Sign Butler to a long deal.

Ryan, Blount gone too. Bennett also seems to be out of reach.

Branch at the right price.

Amendola stays if Floyd doesn't, but will have his deal steeply cut.

Gronk is the guy, one more injury marred year and we're cutting ties. Either way he won't get another big deal here again.

We need:

LB's (all sorts)
    DE's
    CB
    RG
    K - time to bring in a real candidate
    QB if JG traded
    C (to compete if nothing else)
    S

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

told you all since 2010 he was a toolbag.....

Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post

Hightower could get a $15M per type deal, with his health, I'd let him walk.
    Why not tag Hightower? Worry about him next year. I agree with everything else you said.

Realistically here, we're talking about a 2 year window. I think that applies to both Brady and BB. I don't expect as many bold moves from BB in regards to our players. I think he does his best to keep this group together. Obviously we can't bring everyone back, but I don't think we see a major piece like Hightower walk out the door...The tag for his position is reasonable. Worst case scenario, I think he's tagged for a year and we see what happens.

Butler I think is the other guarantee to come back. With those 2 in the fold, our starting D is pretty much in place

DE - Flowers
    NT
    DE - Brown
    OLB - Ninkovich
    LB - McClellin
    LB - Van Noy
    S - Chung
    CB - Butler
    CB - Rowe
    S
    S - McCourty

I think Harmon has a better chance at coming back than most think. It's all going to depend on what he's offered in Free Agency. But I'm not sure that number will break the bank. I'd love to have him back. Chung is getting older and Harmon would be next in line to that starter role once he's washed up. Chung plays nearly as much LB as he does S in this defense, it just wouldn't shock me if Harmon is back. Many view us needing a LB...But if Hightower and Harmon are brought back...I'm not so sure we need one.

I'm solid on this D if Hightower, Butler, Harmon and Branch are back. Anyone else can walk...We can fill the depth in Free Agency/Draft.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I'd like to see Floyd back because I think if he integrates himself into the offense he adds a new dynamic that can make us harder to defend. Could be tough cap wise but I'd love so much to re-sign him and work something out with DA. We'd be legitimately 5 deep at WR with so much potential to exploit any style of D. Amendola could be the full time PR with that kind of depth too and solve our issues there.
    I think he'll be back and I think Dola will be back as well. Which would be great, because for the first time in a long time we have no need to bring a WR in ... Other than camp fodder/competition.

I look at it this way...If we can pay Dola/Floyd the amount of Dola's cap hit right now...We do it. I'm not sure what kind of cut Dola takes, let's just say there's enough working room to restructure Dola and use that savings for Floyd. I think a $2-3mil deal with incentives would get Floyd back. He says he wants to stay, and honestly nothing could be better for his career if he does. He can sign a 1 year prove it deal, and chase money next offseason after he puts together a good season with no off the field issues.

City of Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    I hope we can keep one of Harmon or Ryan. I would hate to lose two big secondary pieces in the same offseason.
    Agreed. I think it would be Harmon, just based on position. CB's price tags are insane while a S who's never started before should at least be reasonable.

I'm also comfortable with Rowe taking Ryan's place. I'm not comfortable with Richards taking Harmon's.

City of Champions

Here's the projected Franchise tag numbers...Kind of shocked me how high LB's number is. But that must include OLB's like Von Miller. I'd still place it on Hightower if they can't get a deal done.

•Quarterback: $21.395MM
    •Running back: $12.377MM
    •Wide receiver: $15.826MM
    •Tight end: $9.894MM
    •Offensive line: $14.444MM
    •Defensive end: $16.955MM
    •Defensive tackle: $13.468MM
    •Linebacker: $14.754MM
    •Cornerback: $14.297MM
    •Safety: $10.961MM
    •Punter/kicker: $4.863MM

City of Champions

It looks like BB and co have the formula perfected. For the fourth year in a row the training camp roster is going to be ridiculously deep and there will be some surprising big name cuts heading into the season. The thing that I'll have my eye on is that after winning 2 of the last 3, we will be THE destination for ring chasers and reclamation projects.

Aust is online now BUTLER!!!! / DOWN 25!!!!!
    I think we'll tag Hightower and let him walk after next season. Meanwhile we draft a LB high and have him take over for High in year 2.

I really want Ryan and Harmon back, those are my guys. I can understand $ and numbers(Cyrus and maybe Jon too) for Ryan, but damn he's such a good #2 guy to have around. One of the best tackling CBs in the league, one of the most durable corners in the league and will look even better when we improve our pass rush some. We also would be able to play Rowe less next year to get him under the 50% snap count so our pick to Philly stays a 4th. Even if Rowe, Cyrus and Jon all improve and earn PT, we could always trade one of our corners.
    Harmon allows us to move McCourty and Chung around, he's critical and we have nobody behind him. If he goes we pay for talent in FA or draft someone in the first 3 or 4 rounds.
    (2/1/2015) (2/5/2017)

HOLY ****

I want Amendola back as well. I've been saying it for a while now and Loyko agrees:

His contract will have to be completely redone, but Patriots have to bring back Danny Amendola at this point. He's a prime time performer.

Brady trusts him, he fits the system perfectly, has been instrumental in two Super Bowl runs and wins. Both sides will work it out.
    Pretty much how I feel.
    Last edited by Green_Monster; 02-08-2017 at 02:18 PM.

I'd like to see Hightower play more on the edge. Get some LBs to make that work. Hightower at DE/OLB is a monster, even more so than he is at ILB.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Page 1 of 53 1231151 ... LastLast