Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 395
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    12,557

    2017 Cubs Free Agent/Trade Idea Thread 1.0: Spring Training Edition

    2017Cubs Free Agent/Trade Idea Thread 1.0
    Spring Training Edition




    Cubs Notable Free Agents:
    Aroldis Chapman (Signed with NYY, 5 yrs/$86 mil)
    Dexter Fowler (Signed with STL, 5 yrs/$82.5 mil)
    Jason Hammel (Signed with KC, 2 yrs/$16 mil)
    Travis Wood
    Joe Smith (Signed with TOR, 1 yr/terms not disclosed)
    Chris Coghlan (Signed with PHI, minor league deal)
    Trevor Cahill (Signed with SD, 1 yr/$1.75 mil)

    Cubs Notable Moves:
    OF Jon Jay: Signed for 1 year, $8 mil
    LHP Brian Duensing: Signed for 1 year, $2 mil
    RHP Wade Davis: Acquired from KC for OF Jorge Soler
    LHP Koji Uehara: Signed fro 1 year, $4.5 mil
    LHP Brett Anderson: Signed for 1 year, $3.5 mil
    RHP Eddie Butler: Acquired from COL for P James Farris

    #FlyTheW

    NL Central? Check. NL Home Field Advantage? Check. 100 Wins? Check. Tie a game? Check. Win the Pennant? Check. Win possibly the greatest World Series of all time? Check.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    17,193
    I honestly forgot we signed Uehara.

    Is it Opening Night yet?


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    10,314
    Nice free agent targets:

    Nathan Eovaldi: Teams wonít be able to expect anything out of Eovaldi in 2017, as heís expected to miss the entire year after Tommy John surgery. But he hasnít even turned 27 and did show a personal-best 97.0 mph average fastball and 9.3% swinging-strike rate in 2016, so he remains an intriguing candidate to receive a rehab-and-return contract.

    Henderson Alvarez: The long-term health outlook is perhaps even cloudier in the case of Alvarez, who couldnít make it back to the majors in 2016 from shoulder issues. But he, too, has yet to reach his 27th birthday and he was able to provide 187 innings of 2.65 ERA ball as recently as 2014. And Alvarez did make 11 minor-league appearances last year, so thereís at least some reason to hope that he can contribute in the season to come.

    Aaron Barrett: After TJ surgery derailed his sophomore 2015 season, Barretís return was cut short with an elbow fracture. On the other hand, Storenís former pen mate in D.C. owns a 3.47 ERA with 10.8 K/9 and 3.47 BB/9 over his 70 career MLB frames, with a 13.1% lifetime swinging-strike rate driven by his 93 to 94 mph heater and wipeout slider. Whatever team takes a shot on his future can also pick up plenty of affordable future control over Barrett, whoíll soon turn 29.
    #FreeYags #FreeGato #FreeCubsstuckinstl #FreeCubbieSteve.


    "I hear STUPID People...When? Alllll theee timmme" Isn't a Jeffy a cigarette?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    34,798
    I'll take em all. Alvarez was really good and never had a defense like ours. He could be a beast with our guys behind him.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,761

    2017 Cubs Free Agent/Trade Idea Thread 1.0: Spring Training Edition

    It looks like we are doing dink and dunk signings with little impact...

    I guess that what teams with few needs do!!!

    Feels good!

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Posts
    2,176
    Looks like we were at Seth Maness workout today

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    It looks like we are doing dink and dunk signings with little impact...

    I guess that what teams with few needs do!!!

    Feels good!
    Feels very good. Happy with Davis, Koji, Smith and Duensing over Chapman, Cahill and Wood. Happy with a healthy Schwarber and Jay over Fowler. If Anderson can prove his health, I am even happy with him in the rotation instead of Hammel or a combination of Anderson/Butler/Montgomery. This is one team where you can't go wrong with the lineup, there are no holes at all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by JHBulls View Post
    Feels very good. Happy with Davis, Koji, Smith and Duensing over Chapman, Cahill and Wood. Happy with a healthy Schwarber and Jay over Fowler. If Anderson can prove his health, I am even happy with him in the rotation instead of Hammel or a combination of Anderson/Butler/Montgomery. This is one team where you can't go wrong with the lineup, there are no holes at all.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    why smith?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    34,798
    So PECOTA pegs us for 90 wins

    Gonna come off as arrogant but I truly believe we'll have 90 by the end of August or close to it... maybe 86-87 or so.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Addison, IL
    Posts
    12,557
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    So PECOTA pegs us for 90 wins

    Gonna come off as arrogant but I truly believe we'll have 90 by the end of August or close to it... maybe 86-87 or so.
    Lol I just saw that...they predict the Dodgers to have the best record in baseball with 97 wins.

    I don't see how we only win 88-90 games, but let's hope for a healthy season from all of our players

    #FlyTheW

    NL Central? Check. NL Home Field Advantage? Check. 100 Wins? Check. Tie a game? Check. Win the Pennant? Check. Win possibly the greatest World Series of all time? Check.

    2016 World Series Champions!!!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Lol I just saw that...they predict the Dodgers to have the best record in baseball with 97 wins.

    I don't see how we only win 88-90 games, but let's hope for a healthy season from all of our players
    I think the Cubs will really miss Fowler, don't know what to expect from Schwarberand Heyward, the combo in CF is probably going to be below league average, and it is probably fair to expect regression from all of our starting pitchers this season. I think that they still finish over 90 games though.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,160
    I guess I'm one of the few not sold on the Dodgers. They still can't hit and they're pitching depth isn't that good neither is their bullpen depth. I also feel like the Giants collapsed which the Dodgers took advantage of but it's not like the Dodgers just ran away with that division from start to finish.
    As for us I don't think we'll get off to the great start we did last year but by midseason on we will hit our stride and win about 95-100 games.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by bootsy View Post
    I guess I'm one of the few not sold on the Dodgers. They still can't hit and they're pitching depth isn't that good neither is their bullpen depth. I also feel like the Giants collapsed which the Dodgers took advantage of but it's not like the Dodgers just ran away with that division from start to finish.
    As for us I don't think we'll get off to the great start we did last year but by midseason on we will hit our stride and win about 95-100 games.
    The Dodgers pitching depth is probably tops in the league. Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, Wood, Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu, Stripling, Stewart. No way all of them stay healthy but that rotation is as deep as you can get.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    The Dodgers pitching depth is probably tops in the league. Kershaw, Hill, Maeda, Urias, Wood, Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu, Stripling, Stewart. No way all of them stay healthy but that rotation is as deep as you can get.
    Yeah that's not a lot of depth. Maeda, Urias are still ?? Kazmir is always hurt and Hill for that matter can't stay healthy either or can't go past 5 innings. The rest of those guys you mentioned please. You are just throwing a bunch of unproven names out there. None of those guys have proven anything.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi-Town Cubs25 View Post
    I think the Cubs will really miss Fowler, don't know what to expect from Schwarberand Heyward, the combo in CF is probably going to be below league average, and it is probably fair to expect regression from all of our starting pitchers this season. I think that they still finish over 90 games though.
    I do not see this team winning less than 95 games. I also do not feel CF will be below average. Add to that having Schwarber and Contreras all year, a better pen that started the 16' season and one more year of maturity for Russell, Bryant, Contreras and Baez makes me feel pretty good about them winning more than 95.
    Maybe they do not start as well as 16'. But even with a slower start, unless there are a lot of injuries this team should cruise to a win total in the upper 90's to even low 100's again this year. I am willing to pet Pecota is going to show the lowest projections over any others.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •