Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Build a new stadium ? Really ?

The Rays are going to build a new stadium . Do they really think thats going to bring out the fans? They were the worse drawing team in baseball last year with something like 1,280,000 . DEAD last in attendance. They don't even get 30000 for opening day. Go to a Rays game when the Red Sox are in town. The Sox fans out number the Rays fans.
    Time to move this team to Montreal. Playing in the NL would be huge for attendance .
    "Just because the path is well beaten. That doesn't mean it's the right way to go"

Someone with more knowledge on this can correct me if needed, but I think the biggest part of the Rays stadium and thus attendance problems is it's location. I've heard nightmare stories of trying to actually get to the stadium compared to where people actually live. Not to say they suddenly became a major market if they build a new stadium in a better location, but that seems like it will certainly help.

I support the Rays building a stadium, it makes more sense then the ****ing braves tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    The Rays are going to build a new stadium . Do they really think thats going to bring out the fans? They were the worse drawing team in baseball last year with something like 1,280,000 . DEAD last in attendance. They don't even get 30000 for opening day. Go to a Rays game when the Red Sox are in town. The Sox fans out number the Rays fans.
    Time to move this team to Montreal. Playing in the NL would be huge for attendance .
    Montreal won't get a team until a new stadium is built. Olympic Stadium is a hassle to get to plus it isn't even a baseball stadium. It's practically pitch black in the nose bleed seats. I agree the Rays should move but Montreal isn't the answer. For now at least.

The Rays NEED a new stadium. And they need to actually be in Tampa, not St. Pete. It takes commuters over an hour to get to the stadium. It's also an ugly, dreadful park.

Oakland and the Rays need new stadiums worse than any other team in baseball by a mile.

Moving the team would be the worst thing you could do to that franchise.

They need a new stadium. I would still keep them in Tampa

Philadelphia Eagles New York Yankees Houston Rockets New York Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    The Rays NEED a new stadium. And they need to actually be in Tampa, not St. Pete. It takes commuters over an hour to get to the stadium. It's also an ugly, dreadful park.

Oakland and the Rays need new stadiums worse than any other team in baseball by a mile.

Agreed on this one. No idea why they chose that location. I was warned by a buddy of mine how difficult the commute would be if I stayed with him and wanted to see games, so I didn't go this summer.

Turner Field was a fantastic experience, and I have no idea why they wanted a new stadium so badly. The only problems I saw were field related, and that could be excused by the fact that they only had 41 games left when I was there this summer.

A new stadium might help for a year or two but it won't help long term. How has a new stadium helped the Marlins so far? They were 27th in attendance last year and 28th in attendance the year before. Not to mention, they're most likely going to ask taxpayers to fund a new ballpark no one will end up going to.

Its time for the Rays to move. I don't know where but they no longer belong in Tampa/St. Petersburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post

The angels are kind of up there too, though at least they draw well.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    A new stadium might help for a year or two but it won't help long term. How has a new stadium helped the Marlins so far? They were 27th in attendance last year and 28th in attendance the year before. Not to mention, they're most likely going to ask taxpayers to fund a new ballpark no one will end up going to.

Its time for the Rays to move. I don't know where but they no longer belong in Tampa/St. Petersburg.
    Their terrible owner doesn't do much to help that, though. You have to take that into consideration when talking about the Marlins situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Their terrible owner doesn't do much to help that, though. You have to take that into consideration when talking about the Marlins situation.
    Granted that's certainly part of the equation as well but the Marlins didn't draw well in 1997 and 2003 when they won the WS, either. I just don't think Miami and Tampa are baseball cities, regardless of park location, how competitive the team is, etc.

Screw Montreal. Their fans abandoned their team. They don't deserve another team. What makes anybody think that they won't do the same thing again if they're awarded with a new team.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 02-07-2017 at 06:22 AM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

i just dont see a new stadium doing much for them... how was their attendance when they were winning? Look at the marlins... People just dont come.

The Rays are going to build a new stadium . Do they really think thats going to bring out the fans?
    It ain't gonna hurt! Their stadium is a dump...and that truly does matter. I don't know how well they'll do with a new modern stadium, but it will be better. Just make it nice and cozy and they'll be OK.

The Marlins attendance jumped 10,000 a game in year one of their new stadium. It hasn't really sustained (cutting your payroll from 100+ million in year 1 to 25 million in year 2 matters), but Miami fans don't really do the whole attending games thing all that well.
    this my sig

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

The Rays need to win.

Padres have the same issue.

A new ballpark doesn't do much for attendance overall and in the long run. It helps temporarily like you said, but that hardly justifies anything.

But their stadium is a complete dump, impossible to get to, and provides nothing for the community.

A new stadium in Tampa would be a great thing for the Rays and Tampa Bay.

This team is finally starting to get fans interested. It takes 20+ years (i.e the passing of a generation to the next) before a team starts to cement fan interest in baseball.

If the Rays moved, it would be disastrous for them. Unless they tried to go somewhere like Brooklyn or Houston, they aren't really going to be moving to a better baseball market (maybe Montreal could have greater interest but that's unique).

To go to another city like San Antonio, Portland, Nashville, Charlotte, etc, they would simply be starting over.

The Rays need a better location, need to be in Tampa, and need a nice ballpark. Fans are starting to generationally be interested in the team. That's when things change for a club like that.

The Rays are unique for this situation.

I also recommend everybody reads the Extra 2% by Jonah Keri. Fantastic book about the Rays.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast