Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 216
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    This disease will take everything from you even the ones you love...so sad
    One of my closest personal friends was in recovery for alcohol, we talked a lot and it gave me a ton if insight. I witnessed his lows, and his highs but the one thing that really stuck with me was that he said there was never a cure from alcoholism. Some people manage it, others don't but the one truth here is that you have to realize that you are the problem and you have to want to get better. Even people that manage it over a long period of time can have brief periods of denial, anything in their life can set that process in motion. It's really tough to watch and makes you feel very helpless as that person's friend.

    Obviously, none of us knows Aldon personally but his problem is probably a bit more complicated than just wanting to blow off some steam with friends, it's complicating his reinstatement with the league and he will have to be the one to grapple with that if he has any hope of playing another down.....
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

    Just win baby"

    ~ Al Davis ~

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    6,010
    Why is it taking two years and a day for the NFL to make a decision on Aldon Smith?
    Last edited by erickench; 03-19-2017 at 07:39 PM.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Why is it taking two years and a day for the NFL to make a decision on Aldon Smith?
    For the same two reasons that a dog licks his nuts-

    He can, and he likes it....
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

    Just win baby"

    ~ Al Davis ~

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Altus, Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Why is it taking two years and a day for the NFL to make a decision on Aldon Smith?
    I know, I know (raising hand) they forgot about him

  5. #125
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn, New York
    Posts
    6,010
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    For the same two reasons that a dog licks his nuts-

    He can, and he likes it....
    That's why the players union should step in and do something. This isn't right. The NFL has no time limit put upon it for making decisions like this.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by corralski View Post
    For the same two reasons that a dog licks his nuts-

    He can, and he likes it....
    Sounds like a perfect description of the Commish. He's probably on vacation and cannot be disturbed.

  7. #127
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    I dunno man. You're right in regards to the fact that Aldon is a grown man and as such, imbibing is his own affair. You are also right in the fact that he didn't really do anything wrong. I get that. But, everyone's tolerance to the sauce isn't created equal. Aldon tends to become a knucklehead when he tips a few back, like I do.

    People such as yourself can enjoy it responsibly to blow off some steam and enjoy the weekend. People like myself or Aldon can't. Its tough to put yourself in that box. I like a cold beer as much as the next guy.

    From what I have read, Aldon would be better off making that realization-ASAP. His pro career will be a memory in a few more seasons.
    I think the long-term concern is that, aside from pro football, his normalcy and life could be a distant memory in a few more seasons if he keeps making poor decisions.

    I disagree with some posters re: alcoholism not being a curable disease, but do agree that the individual has to take ownership and want to change...and with that, the necessary steps of follow through and accountability to change. Alcoholism, in it's addiction capacity, isn't much different from a porn addiction. Everyone has different levels of ability to resist, and once it's roots are settles, it's VERY difficult to be set free. I truly believe the only cure for addictions/diseases such as this is through a faith in Christ. That's the only chance and source for true freedom...everything else is a temporary band-aid. I know many will disagree, and some will agree...I'm not here to create a platform of controversy...it's just what I personally believe.

    Soooo...in saying all that...I used to be angry with the NFL for all the delay. As a Raiders fan I want the best team on the field, and if Smith is healthy, he makes our team better. However, perhaps the NFL sees things we don't...or maybe we do, but our allegiance is to the team...and not to Aldon. Regardless of the reasons the NFL may have for not making a decision yet...and perhaps denying his reinstatement, is there a chance it's for the best interest of Aldon Smith in the long-run? Can he handle the spotlight and money in his current state without creating more self-inflicting damage?

    We can point to other NFL meatheads who have seemed to slip the NFL discipline radar...there's a lot of them! But that's out of our hands, and the Raiders hands. For everything we've seen in the past year+, it has afforded strong evidence that Aldon has not matured to the extent that he's shown he can handle his life. Whether he has committed illegal activity or not isn't the question for the NFL. It's the question of 'can he be trusted on & off the field to represent the NFL in a positive manner?' And it's only a fair question re: Aldon because of the circumstances he put himself in...and the NFL, under those parameters, has every right to drag their heels...whether it's because they have an agenda, or because they want what's best for Aldon.

    If he's really and truly changed...he would do whatever it takes...and by the company he keeps, he seems to be setting himself up for future heartbreak.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    6,239
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    That's why the players union should step in and do something. This isn't right. The NFL has no time limit put upon it for making decisions like this.
    This would be the perfect opportunity for the NFLPA to do so....
    "..When you have great coaches, then after you have great coaches you get great players, you have a great organization, and you tell them one thing-

    Just win baby"

    ~ Al Davis ~

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Raider Nation
    Posts
    11,183
    Quote Originally Posted by passengershawn View Post
    I think the long-term concern is that, aside from pro football, his normalcy and life could be a distant memory in a few more seasons if he keeps making poor decisions.

    I disagree with some posters re: alcoholism not being a curable disease, but do agree that the individual has to take ownership and want to change...and with that, the necessary steps of follow through and accountability to change. Alcoholism, in it's addiction capacity, isn't much different from a porn addiction. Everyone has different levels of ability to resist, and once it's roots are settles, it's VERY difficult to be set free. I truly believe the only cure for addictions/diseases such as this is through a faith in Christ. That's the only chance and source for true freedom...everything else is a temporary band-aid. I know many will disagree, and some will agree...I'm not here to create a platform of controversy...it's just what I personally believe.

    Soooo...in saying all that...I used to be angry with the NFL for all the delay. As a Raiders fan I want the best team on the field, and if Smith is healthy, he makes our team better. However, perhaps the NFL sees things we don't...or maybe we do, but our allegiance is to the team...and not to Aldon. Regardless of the reasons the NFL may have for not making a decision yet...and perhaps denying his reinstatement, is there a chance it's for the best interest of Aldon Smith in the long-run? Can he handle the spotlight and money in his current state without creating more self-inflicting damage?

    We can point to other NFL meatheads who have seemed to slip the NFL discipline radar...there's a lot of them! But that's out of our hands, and the Raiders hands. For everything we've seen in the past year+, it has afforded strong evidence that Aldon has not matured to the extent that he's shown he can handle his life. Whether he has committed illegal activity or not isn't the question for the NFL. It's the question of 'can he be trusted on & off the field to represent the NFL in a positive manner?' And it's only a fair question re: Aldon because of the circumstances he put himself in...and the NFL, under those parameters, has every right to drag their heels...whether it's because they have an agenda, or because they want what's best for Aldon.

    If he's really and truly changed...he would do whatever it takes...and by the company he keeps, he seems to be setting himself up for future heartbreak.
    Everyone should read this. Well spoken, Shawn. Solid.

    I'm Your Huckleberry.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    6,359
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    That's why the players union should step in and do something. This isn't right. The NFL has no time limit put upon it for making decisions like this.
    When you're banned, there is no timeline, and no timeline should be established.

    The union has no recourse, and shouldn't. He is banned for a multitude of reasons, and during that ban, continues to exhibit behavior consistent with why he got banned.

    The only people crying are Raider's fans, no one else gives a ****, because he's an idiot. If anything, this situation should not warrant a time limit, but the ability for the player to interact with other players on the team to help him recover and rehabilitate. Had he been able to hang out with guys like DC and the leaders of this team, maybe he wouldn't have made those choices. Problem is, he has yet to surround himself with positive people when left ot his own accord.

    That shows he is unable to exhibit the behavior needed to be an NFL player, and further, that he has not rehabilitated himself. I'd be amazed if they reinstated him based off his behavior.

  11. #131
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,908
    We cant really count on the guy. I would love to see him play again, but his dirty laundry list grows every month. He truly is a ****** up from top to bottom. There are so many reasons why he should be suspended, maybe the most alarming thing is that he vocally speaks out against his suspension, then goes off and is dealing with the cops the next week.

    He was worth 10's of millions of dollars and he threw it out the window for thug life. If I was the comisioner, I probably would not be in a hurry to do him any favors

  12. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    Everyone should read this. Well spoken, Shawn. Solid.
    Thank you Wolfe...I appreciate that! Now hopefully we'll see an article soon stating Riley Jr. has been resigned, and...within the next week get the yes or no on Smith so everyone can move on!

  13. #133
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    When you're banned, there is no timeline, and no timeline should be established.

    The union has no recourse, and shouldn't. He is banned for a multitude of reasons, and during that ban, continues to exhibit behavior consistent with why he got banned.

    The only people crying are Raider's fans, no one else gives a ****, because he's an idiot. If anything, this situation should not warrant a time limit, but the ability for the player to interact with other players on the team to help him recover and rehabilitate. Had he been able to hang out with guys like DC and the leaders of this team, maybe he wouldn't have made those choices. Problem is, he has yet to surround himself with positive people when left ot his own accord.

    That shows he is unable to exhibit the behavior needed to be an NFL player, and further, that he has not rehabilitated himself. I'd be amazed if they reinstated him based off his behavior.
    Absolutely a key element in his current situation. There are some solid guys on this team with a high level of character that can be an incredible influence for Aldon. But from what I understand, he is unable to connect with these guys...at least in a team situation. I'm not sure what the parameters are for 'outside football activity."

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,560
    I think we would be naive to think the league gives two cents about Aldon. They are concerned about their brand. The billions of dollars that come pouring in from their sponsors. Thats why IMO it always seems to be selective and inconsistent with these cases. Aldon absolutely needs help. But if the League/Commish cared would you completely turn your back on someone in need of help and basically say stay away until you get your crap together. Or actually help. Has anyone from the league met Aldon at an AA meeting? No way. The league has abandoned Aldon by isolating him and not letting his peers help him through a very difficult recovery. An addiction is a disease whether you break a law or not. You are not only an alcoholic if you get a few DUis. Aldon is on the same exact path as Gronk. Any expert in this field would notice the warning signs. It is embarrassing how this is being handled. Aldon should not be reinstated he should be getting as much help as possible from the league. They should encourage his peers to help if need be, and should reach out and help as well. You dont taunt him and play mind games with somebody who is not right of mind. Give the poor man a break tell him your answer and help him
    "You don't beat people with surprises, you beat them with execution" John McKay

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by tippa irie View Post
    I think we would be naive to think the league gives two cents about Aldon. They are concerned about their brand. The billions of dollars that come pouring in from their sponsors. Thats why IMO it always seems to be selective and inconsistent with these cases. Aldon absolutely needs help. But if the League/Commish cared would you completely turn your back on someone in need of help and basically say stay away until you get your crap together. Or actually help. Has anyone from the league met Aldon at an AA meeting? No way. The league has abandoned Aldon by isolating him and not letting his peers help him through a very difficult recovery. An addiction is a disease whether you break a law or not. You are not only an alcoholic if you get a few DUis. Aldon is on the same exact path as Gronk. Any expert in this field would notice the warning signs. It is embarrassing how this is being handled. Aldon should not be reinstated he should be getting as much help as possible from the league. They should encourage his peers to help if need be, and should reach out and help as well. You dont taunt him and play mind games with somebody who is not right of mind. Give the poor man a break tell him your answer and help him
    Slammed it...bang on!

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •