Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

is it too easy to score in the nba??

with every team scoring over 100 pts this year (105 is the avg)...has it just become too easy to score in the nba??...what would be some legit ideas to give the defense an advantage or not make it so easy to score?....get rid of the 3 pt line,or maybe move it back 5 ft...raise the rim to 12 ft??...(the rim is 10 ft because dr. naismith's gym ceiling was just a little taller,and peoples avg ht was 5'6"),let teams play defense again by getting rid of illegal defense foul or cheap forearm on back fouls.......just saying,it is almost becoming unwatchable on how simple it is to put the ball in the hoop anymore
    ....boss mode

Quote Originally Posted by krazylegz View Post
    with every team scoring over 100 pts this year (105 is the avg)...has it just become too easy to score in the nba??...what would be some legit ideas to give the defense an advantage or not make it so easy to score?....get rid of the 3 pt line,or maybe move it back 5 ft...raise the rim to 12 ft??...(the rim is 10 ft because dr. naismith's gym ceiling was just a little taller,and peoples avg ht was 5'6"),let teams play defense again by getting rid of illegal defense foul or cheap forearm on back fouls.......just saying,it is almost becoming unwatchable on how simple it is to put the ball in the hoop anymore
    I agree. We live in a soft society, which has trickled down into the sports we love, although rightfully so in the NFL. Players lile Lebron, who are physical specimens complain now when they get slapped on the arm, accidentally.

Try playing in the 80s or 90s when hard contact was the norm. Would he still have been a great player? Yes. Would he have stayed as healthy as he is (and avoid injuries from the physicality of the game )? I doubt it.

It's all about pace and efficiency. A lot of those 80s and 90s teams that everyone nuts over were pretty high scoring as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Giannis94 View Post
    I agree. We live in a soft society, which has trickled down into the sports we love, although rightfully so in the NFL. Players lile Lebron, who are physical specimens complain now when they get slapped on the arm, accidentally.

Try playing in the 80s or 90s when hard contact was the norm. Would he still have been a great player? Yes. Would he have stayed as healthy as he is (and avoid injuries from the physicality of the game )? I doubt it.
    your boy scored 9 points tonight in 38 minutes... if they make it any harder he will be sent to the D-League

The NBA is becoming more like euro ball. I say it's more exciting. There might not be the same grit and grind, but we still get to see great perimeter defenders chasing shooters everywhere.
    I think expanding the court dimensions and adding a four-point line would help. The NBA court has been the same size since the 1940s. It didn't event expand with the addition of a three-point shot, although a four-point shot would necessitate expansion.
    NBA administration has already discussed the concept. It would spread the lane out for drivers, make the zone defense harder to pull off and create more room for chases and ball movement on the perimeter. That sounds pretty exciting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    your boy scored 9 points tonight in 38 minutes... if they make it any harder he will be sent to the D-League
    And Oden Jr will be sent to a retirement home by age 24 with another injury which Philly fans are accustomed to with their Big Men. See Bynum, Andrew.

DLeague>>>>>>retirement home

Gaurd oriented lineups and emphasis on the 3 ball results in a pace and space game, hence higher scoring totals.

It has become easier but it's entertaining so I don't mind.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

is it too easy to score in the nba??

Yes, no D is played now a days, and if it is played there are bunch of floppers; like LeFlop.

"Killer Instinct"

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I could put up at least 15

Yes but it's not the rule changes like everyone wants it to be. It's Because our knowledge of the game is such that we now know where the most efficient shots are on a touch by touch basis. Meaning nba teams have tracked offenses and defenses to the point where we have the expected value of any shot. Back then, players just chucked. I don't think the nba wants to change it considering how long it took to return to the soft 80s but the best rule change would be allowing true college zones. The kind players loved escaping upon the nba and have for decades

you can tell that bill walton seems a little uninterested in the nba (while ripping on how defense is played)...hes talking more about his visit to the rock and roll hall of fame
    Last edited by krazylegz; 02-15-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    ....boss mode

Quote Originally Posted by krazylegz View Post
    you can tell that bill walton seems a little uninterested in the nba (while ripping on how defense is played)...hes talking more about his visit to the rock and roll hall of fame
    Bill Walton isn't a commentator and he's a TV personality guy. His role there isn't to commentate the way Dick Vitale is trying to do. If you notice, Dick Vitale keeps trying to bring it back to basketball because he knows that's his job. He's been commentating NCAA games his entire life so it's natural for him. Also, it's Dick Vitale who blasted the defense while Bill defended it. Dick Vitale was complaining about the defense in the interior and Bill replied back saying it's how the game has changed where the defense is spread back so far from the paint that it's much easier for a player to attack the paint when they get past the wing defenders.

Secondly, the defense is more sophisticated than ever. It's just that the offense has exploded at a quicker rate than the defense. NBA is going through a really weird transition where we've never seen some of these shots being made and coaches are still trying to figure out how to defend against them. Curry was such a transcendent player with the way he made his shots from such a distance that it just collapses your defense. Back then, defense was stay in front of your man. Now, it's go behind or over the pick, team defense is far more prevalent today than ever.

Lastly, the point differential is due to the fact that three point shooting is more prevalent than ever. it's an extra point. Pace increased because instead of passing it to the big man in the paint who then proceeds to dribble dribble dribble (cough Barkley) for ten seconds, teams are just passing it for the open man to shoot a three.

I hate when people just act like an entire league just quit playing defense. It's like after the great depression, a large population were unemployed. Did they all just become lazy? No, policies and environment changed it. It's the same with how NBA is played now.
    Last edited by FlashBolt; 02-15-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashBolt View Post
    Bill Walton isn't a commentator and he's a TV personality guy. His role there isn't to commentate the way Dick Vitale is trying to do. If you notice, Dick Vitale keeps trying to bring it back to basketball because he knows that's his job. He's been commentating NCAA games his entire life so it's natural for him.

Secondly, the defense is more sophisticated than ever. It's just that the offense has exploded at a quicker rate than the defense. NBA is going through a really weird transition where we've never seen some of these shots being made and coaches are still trying to figure out how to defend against them. Curry was such a transcendent player with the way he made his shots from such a distance that it just collapses your defense. Back then, defense was stay in front of your man. Now, it's go behind or over the pick, team defense is far more prevalent today than ever.
    great assessment....and damn i hope your right
    ....boss mode

Offense isn't easy ... they are working a lot harder to take better shots now and running more complex plays that involve more of the team more often to maximize the efficiency of every shot now.

I saw the Celtics run a double side to side elevator on opposite sides of the court in one possession a couple weeks ago ... it's a LONG way from watching Chuck bang his butt into a defender while all of his teammates stand around and watch for 20 seconds. Offense isn't easy now, it was bad then.
    MacLean's Law: Everywhere you go there will be a jerk. Corrolary: If you go somewhere by yourself you become a jerk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast