Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Astroturf causes brain cancer?

Former Met Anthony Young was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Gary Carter passed away a few years ago. I know the Phillies had a number of former players, all of whom had malignancies. Darren Daulton has an especially aggressive form.

Here's an interesting article.

It seems Astroturf contains a variety of carcinogens. I hadn't known about this, but apparently it's been known for years. I had noticed ballplayers seemed to have a higher incidence of this than the general public, but I find this kind of shocking.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Coupon; 02-02-2017 at 12:46 AM.

Thoughts?

If this is true, it's yet another despicable act of negligence. I wonder if these carcinogens are still prominent today in artificial turfs.....you know like the ones our (my) kids play on?

Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    Thoughts?

If this is true, it's yet another despicable act of negligence. I wonder if these carcinogens are still prominent today in artificial turfs.....you know like the ones our (my) kids play on?
    Was wondering this too. I play on artificial turf in my slowpitch softball league. I'd assume theyre good this day and age, but who knows?

The guys you listed never played on turf with SBR so they definitely didn't get cancer from turf and that's assuming turf can actually cause cancer. Most studies I've read find no correlation between the two but you do find a few that still claim the granuales cause some form of cancer.

I wanna say Outside the Lines did a story on this semi-recently but I can't recall for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Former Met Anthony Young was just diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Gary Carter passed away a few years ago. I know the Phillies had a number of former players, all of whom had malignancies. Darren Daulton has an especially aggressive form.

It seems Astroturf contains a variety of carcinogens. I hadn't known about this, but apparently it's been known for years. I had noticed ballplayers seemed to have a higher incidence of this than the general public, but I find this kind of shocking.

Thoughts?
    One Nut Kruk and Schilling at Veterans Stadium.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Darren Daulton now, too.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...Sjb?li=BBnb7Kz

PHILADELPHIA — Since Darren Daulton succumbed to brain cancer on Aug. 6, heartfelt tributes have honored the way he led a raucous Phillies team to the World Series in 1993.

And unanswered questions have surfaced about the way he died.

Daulton and several prominent contemporaries in baseball — including at least three other Phillies who played at Veterans Stadium, the team’s home from 1971 to 2003 — have died of glioblastoma, according to news media accounts. It is considered the most aggressive and frequently diagnosed form of malignant brain tumor.

Researchers who have examined the baseball cases for years say there is insufficient evidence to determine whether they represent anything more than coincidence. Possible cancer clusters are notoriously hard to prove. Most of the time, upon rigorous examination, no cause can be identified and the cases are considered random.

“There is almost never an explanation for them,” said Timothy R. Rebbeck, a cancer epidemiologist at Harvard and the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute who has studied the Phillies cases.

Still, Phillies from that era are curious, some even unnerved, about whether there is any connection between brain cancer and baseball. In particular, they wonder if there is any association with Veterans Stadium, which was built on marshland and was demolished in 2004.

“I’m concerned about it,” said Larry Bowa, the Phillies’ bench coach, who joined the team as a player in 1970 and has spent much of his professional career here as a shortstop, manager and coach. “It raises your eyebrows, no question. It’s sort of scary.”

Larry Andersen, who pitched for Philadelphia in the 1983 and 1993 World Series and is now a radio commentator for the team, said: “You can’t help but think about it. It would be nice if there were some answers, if nothing else for going forward. But nobody knows anything. It’s frustrating.”

They spoke Thursday as the Phillies played their first home game since Daulton died. His No. 10 jersey hung in the dugout at Citizens Bank Park. Before a moment of silence, the public address announcer told the crowd that Daulton, a three-time All-Star catcher, had “battled valiantly against the illness that took him far too young” at age 55.

It was impossible not to think about what had caused Daulton’s death and whether there was some unexplained correlation with baseball. But John Kruk, a Phillies television commentator who was Daulton’s teammate from 1989 to ’94, said he tried not to let his mind wander in that direction.

“If I thought about it, I’d go crazy,” he said.

Other former Phillies who also reportedly died of glioblastoma since 2003 were reliever Tug McGraw at age 59, infielder John Vukovich at 59 and catcher Johnny Oates at 58. Ken Brett, a pitcher who played in Veterans Stadium for one season, died at 55 of a brain cancer that has been identified in some news accounts as glioblastoma.

That same type of cancer is reported to have claimed the lives of other notable major league players, as well as a manager, from the same era: the Hall of Fame catcher Gary Carter at 57, outfielder Bobby Murcer at 62, reliever Dan Quisenberry at 45 and manager Dick Howser at 51.

Brett, Quisenberry and Howser spent part of their careers in Kansas City, where the baseball park at that time, like Veterans Stadium, had artificial turf. Some former Phillies wonder whether chemicals in those early versions of synthetic turf could have increased the risk of brain cancer, but scientists say they know of no research that supports that theory...
    More info if you click the link to the article.
    Last edited by Coupon; 08-14-2017 at 11:34 AM.

There are too many other lifestyle factors along with a small sample size to prove this as being reliable.

Basically all ball players are going to have live the same way. And to think AstroTurf has more carcinogens then most of our food and pollution is pretty doubtful.

I take it with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    There are too many other lifestyle factors along with a small sample size to prove this as being reliable.

Basically all ball players are going to have live the same way. And to think AstroTurf has more carcinogens then most of our food and pollution is pretty doubtful.

I take it with a grain of salt.
    Agreed.

Artificial turf dominated Major League Baseball from 1971 through the early or mid 90s when stadia started returning to natural grass (Tug McGraw was asked which he preferred. He said he couldnt say since he never smoked artificial turf. That line doesnt seem so funny anymore). But back then the only NL stadia with real grass were Shea, Wrigley, Dodger, Jack Murphy, and Atlanta Fulton County.

I'm sure there were a lot of football stadia with turf as well.

So with all that baseball and football being played on turf, Gary Carter, Darren Daulton, and Tug McGraw seem like an awful small sample to base thee findings.

Hey, they also all used cell phones....
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 08-14-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Agreed.

Artificial turf dominated Major League Baseball from 1971 through the early or mid 90s when stadia started returning to natural grass (Tug McGraw was asked which he preferred. He said he couldnt say since he never smoked artificial turf. That line doesnt seem so funny anymore). But back then the only NL stadia with real grass were Shea, Wrigley, Dodger, Jack Murphy, and Atlanta Fulton County.

So with all that baseball and football being played on turf, Gary Carter, Darren Daulton, and Tug McGraw seem like an awful small sample to base thee findings.

Now that's a small sample size in 71

Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post

Thoughts?
    Well... what exactly is the incidence of brain cancer for in the general public? My mother had brain cancer but she played on asphalt or clay (tennis), never astroturph, and I believe Cesar Cedeno played 16 of 17 seasons on plastic grass.
    Baseball Maverick: How Sandy Alderson Revolutionized Baseball and Revived the Mets
    I am that Daddy Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Well... what exactly is the incidence of brain cancer for in the general public? My mother had brain cancer but she played on asphalt or clay (tennis), never astroturph, and I believe Cesar Cedeno played 16 of 17 seasons on plastic grass.
    Jose Cruz Sr. played 18 of 19 on Astro turf.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

The Astro turf used in the 70's was basically carpet and didn't have the "crumbs". I could see the recycled stuff with broken up tires having issues. Also the "crumbs"

Quote Originally Posted by SfgiantsJD3 View Post
    Now that's a small sample size in 71
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Agreed.

There might be nothing to this, but it has been more players than that. Johnny Oates, Dan Quisenberry, Bobby Mercer, Dick Howser, Ken Brett and John Vukovich all died from it since 2003.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast