Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 107
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    La Puente, CA
    Posts
    10,363

    Indians hosting the all-star game THREE TIMES since the last time the Dodgers did

    This is ridiculous. The Dodgers haven't hosted the All-Star Game since 1980, which is the longest such streak in the game. Heck, I've been alive for one-third of a century and there's NEVER been one here in my lifetime. (Don't give me the lack of a new stadium bull****, since we've made numerous renovations to the stadium).

    Since then, the Indians hosted the game in 1981, 1997, and now in 2019. This is preposterous. Jacobs/Progressive hasn't really changed much since it was built. So why reward them with another one in the same stadium when you have the Dodgers pushing 40 years without one?

    I don't know what's with this anti-Dodgers All-Star Game snubbing by the commissioner's office. But it's getting old. The Dodgers owners and front office need to step up and start making a more serious effort in getting an All-Star Game here.

    HOSTED TWICE:
    1. Expos/Nationals: 1981, 2018
    2. White Sox: 1983, 2003
    3. Giants: 1984, 2007
    4. Twins: 1985, 2014
    5. Astros: 1986, 2004
    6. Reds: 1988, 2015
    7. Angels: 1989, 2010
    8. Padres: 1992, 2016
    9. Pirates: 1994, 2006 (12 years wasn't long enough for them to have another one)

    HOSTED THREE TIMES:
    10. Indians: 1981, 1997, 2019



    So about 34% of the reamaining 29 teams have hosted it multiple times since 1980. And that percentage will continue to grow.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 01-28-2017 at 03:11 AM.

    Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    32,444
    Ok.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO
    Posts
    1,765

    Indians hosting the all-star game THREE TIMES since the last time the Dodgers did

    The stadium is about as ugly as you can get... only worse one I've been to in Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

    "Wait till Next Year"
    Just Took on a Whole New Meaning!!!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,556
    Ugly stadiums don't host all star games. Perfect example is it took the Mets 49 years and a new ballpark to get an ASG after the first one at Shea in 1964.

    It doesn't help that Dodger Stadium even with its recent upgrades is still an unimpressive ballpark. Progressive Field runs circles around Dodger Stadium in terms of aesthetics.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-28-2017 at 05:37 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles County, CA
    Posts
    35,539
    It's not ridiculous. The park sucks.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    6,053
    The word you guys are probably looking for is stale? And yes, i'm a Dodger fan who lives pretty much just down the road.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI for some reason.
    Posts
    17,422
    Dodger Stadium is the third oldest - and thus, third most historic - park in baseball, but no one would ever categorize it alongside Wrigley or Fenway.

    No aesthetics, no modernization, no anything really. Just not much to offer.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    19,236
    Dodger stadium is a dump


    .220/.260/.382
    A-BOMBS: 8
    RBI:28

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,115

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    10,609
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Ugly stadiums don't host all star games. Perfect example is it took the Mets 49 years and a new ballpark to get an ASG after the first one at Shea in 1964.

    It doesn't help that Dodger Stadium even with its recent upgrades is still an unimpressive ballpark. Progressive Field runs circles around Dodger Stadium in terms of aesthetics.
    Then explain how Nats Park gets it over Oriole Park, especially when Oriole Park can host about 7,000 more people.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    11,115
    Maybe the NL managers won't agree to having the game played there because they figure Kershaw will crack under the pressure.

    Now that home field isn't decided by this game, perhaps LA now has a shot.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    ILSTU
    Posts
    8,618
    It would be embarrassing for MLB to not have fans show up for the ASG until the 3rd inning

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    25,556
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Then explain how Nats Park gets it over Oriole Park, especially when Oriole Park can host about 7,000 more people.
    Because the Nats haven't hosted an ASG yet where as Camden Yards had the ASG there back in 1993 and its certainly a nice enough stadium that they'll get another opportunity to host one. MLB usually rewards teams that haven't had an ASG yet or have a relatively new ballpark.

    Its a cyclical process. Just because the timing has no specific rhyme or reason doesn't mean it won't come back to your city.

    Citizen's Bank is arguably the nicest park in baseball. Did you know it hasn't hosted an ASG yet? Philadelphia has more of a legit grip than LA could have, specifically given the quality of their respective ballparks.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-28-2017 at 02:59 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,983
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerdave View Post
    This is ridiculous. The Dodgers haven't hosted the All-Star Game since 1980, which is the longest such streak in the game. Heck, I've been alive for one-third of a century and there's NEVER been one here in my lifetime. (Don't give me the lack of a new stadium bull****, since we've made numerous renovations to the stadium).

    Since then, the Indians hosted the game in 1981, 1997, and now in 2019. This is preposterous. Jacobs/Progressive hasn't really changed much since it was built. So why reward them with another one in the same stadium when you have the Dodgers pushing 40 years without one?

    I don't know what's with this anti-Dodgers All-Star Game snubbing by the commissioner's office. But it's getting old. The Dodgers owners and front office need to step up and start making a more serious effort in getting an All-Star Game here.

    HOSTED TWICE:
    1. Expos/Nationals: 1981, 2018
    2. White Sox: 1983, 2003
    3. Giants: 1984, 2007
    4. Twins: 1985, 2014
    5. Astros: 1986, 2004
    6. Reds: 1988, 2015
    7. Angels: 1989, 2010
    8. Padres: 1992, 2016
    9. Pirates: 1994, 2006 (12 years wasn't long enough for them to have another one)

    HOSTED THREE TIMES:
    10. Indians: 1981, 1997, 2019



    So about 34% of the reamaining 29 teams have hosted it multiple times since 1980. And that percentage will continue to grow.
    No one really likes the Dodgers I guess.

    "there's no shines in my shinebox"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    32,983
    Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    Maybe the NL managers won't agree to having the game played there because they figure Kershaw will crack under the pressure.

    Now that home field isn't decided by this game, perhaps LA now has a shot.

    "there's no shines in my shinebox"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •