Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The Stafford situation

Option 1: Pay Stafford a ton of money & hope this same core of players somehow puts it all together.

Option 2: Trade Stafford, build a better overall core with the extra picks & somehow find a QB that can lead this better overall team down the road.

Option 3: Let Stafford walk in free agency and lynch Quinn out of town.

Regardless of option 1, 2 or 3, you need to draft a QB very early on.

For Option 1, having a capable QB on the roster gives you leverage in negotiations, a competent backup & if you do re-sign Stafford long-term, then you have future trade bait (Garappollo).

Option 2: If you trade Stafford, you will need a future QB & will have the extra picks to be able to still build up the core roster AND draft a QB early. This FA crop isn't incredibly awe inspiring. Drafting an early QB would be a must.

Option 3: If Stafford leaves the Lions sitting with their dicks in their hands, the best case scenario would be a capable, QB on the roster with 1 year of experience to learn the system. Much better than a knee jerk FA signing in 2018 or drafting a 1st round QB and throwing him right into the fire.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by whooligun; 01-25-2017 at 10:00 PM.

I think we inevitably are going to resign him and its the right move imo. This draft class of QB's is not great and as you mentioned free agency is not much better. If you want to get risky you might be able to trade for Romo, after dealing Stafford, on the cheap but there is no guarantee he even plays for 16 games and if he does how high of a level will it be? You can hold off for a year but you risk getting caught with your dick in your hand as you also mentioned. The best bet we have is resign him and front load the deal with all the cap we have available coming up. Stick with Rudock/whatever cheap veteran is available, not named Dan Orlovsky as backup, and look at next season's class which is better (at least it appears so). Once the front loaded deal cheapens up you deal him for a return and run with the rookie.

Yeah, I mean they could just mail it in this year by trading Stafford and signing cutler. That's a lions thing to do. Sadly they probably would be the same lions with either qb. Maybe the extra draft picks help in the future....

If Quinn is serious, I would think he would go after a guy like jimmy g. Then trade Stafford. I could get behind this type of move. I mean worst case scenario, we still don't win the big game right?

Option 2 would be my preference but it will never happen.

Re-Sign him to a big contract.

Build a team that can help out Stafford instead of having a team that was last in rushing and for the defensive side they finished last in sacks while giving up a league record for completion percentage lmao...

Bob Quinn has improved the O-Line and our special teams unit is at the top of the league. We got unlucky with the injuries to Abdullah and Riddick but we have to get another RB in like round 3 or later. Hopefully we draft for defense the first couple of rounds.

We'll be better next year for sure. It was actually pretty impressive that we made the playoffs. Caldwell needs to get fired IMO tho. I don't think he can lead us to that next step... Bob Quinn will bring in Josh McDaniels after we miss or lose in the playoffs next season (hopefully)
    #QWiNNING

You don't let a guy like Stafford get away without something else waiting. We would need a pretty good QB situation to happen to let him go i.e. draft a Dak or get some other solid young QB somehow.

It's not going to happen. He's our guy and they are going to build around him for at least 5 more years, but probably longer. He's not losing these games, especially with how he played this year. There simply is not enough talent on the team to win. There are several position groups on this team that are laughable and almost no position group that is considered "good". The team is not very good and if Quinn can get something around Stafford it could be.
    2014 Prediction Game Champion

It's easy to say "just add better players" and the offense will be great.

Its another thing to balance a 53 man roster, 53 contracts and stay under the cap. We have a ton of cap room now, but when your roster now contains the highest paid QB in the NFL, you're going to have to make concessions in different areas.

Starter positions that could use upgrades: WR, TE, RT, DL, DE, LB, LB, SS, CB. Not to mention the depth behind a lot of those spots. I find it hard to believe it's an easy task after committing a ton of money to one player.

Good teams continue to win when their starters get injured. Their offensive or defensive strategies are based on teamwork, not single players. If Stafford went down, the offense would be dead. So...do you pay the guy a ton because of that? Or do you build a better core so not one player controls your team's destiny? Even the great Aaron Rodgers couldn't single handedly win a playoff game when his team's lack of depth was exposed.

We will either let him walk or resign him. I'm pretty positive there will be no QB trade by the Lions.

I also think that the most likely thing to happen is for us to simply re-sign him. What I hope is that the contract is at least half reasonable. Stafford can become a free agent and get paid whatever he wants on another team. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets the new biggest QB contract. I just hope he opts for more guaranteed money with the Lions but less total money.
    Last edited by lizardking13; 01-26-2017 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    Re-Sign him to a big contract.

Build a team that can help out Stafford instead of having a team that was last in rushing and for the defensive side they finished last in sacks while giving up a league record for completion percentage lmao...

Bob Quinn has improved the O-Line and our special teams unit is at the top of the league. We got unlucky with the injuries to Abdullah and Riddick but we have to get another RB in like round 3 or later. Hopefully we draft for defense the first couple of rounds.

We'll be better next year for sure. It was actually pretty impressive that we made the playoffs. Caldwell needs to get fired IMO tho. I don't think he can lead us to that next step... Bob Quinn will bring in Josh McDaniels after we miss or lose in the playoffs next season (hopefully)
    You pretty much want the 2014 Detroit Lions but with a little better defense I see.
    AA"LOL"L
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

I would like for option 2 to happen but realistically that won't happen. Stafford will be extended and he should. He has been the best QB that this franchise has ever had. We really need a RB to help our offense out. We really need defensive playmakers. We couldn't get to the QB and we let QB's complete over 70% of their passes. I honestly believe that Stafford will ask for a team friendly contract.

AAL: MATTHEW STAFFORD
    ATT: 594 COMP: 388 YDS: 4,327 COMP %: 65.3 TD: 24 INT: 10 FUMBLES: 3
    RUSH ATT: 37 YDS: 207 TD: 2
    COMEBACK WINS: 8

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings 31-35-12 Points: 74 THE STREAK HAS ENDED!!!
    Detroit Lions 0-0 #INBOBQUINNWETRUST!
    Detroit Tigers 43-51
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball 2017 NCAA NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Florida State Seminoles Overall: 0-0 ACC: 0-0

Quote Originally Posted by ****ed in DET View Post
    You don't let a guy like Stafford get away without something else waiting. We would need a pretty good QB situation to happen to let him go i.e. draft a Dak or get some other solid young QB somehow.

It's not going to happen. He's our guy and they are going to build around him for at least 5 more years, but probably longer. He's not losing these games, especially with how he played this year. There simply is not enough talent on the team to win. There are several position groups on this team that are laughable and almost no position group that is considered "good". The team is not very good and if Quinn can get something around Stafford it could be.
    good post mayne.

This is a QB league. We have a pretty good QB who's been in the league quite a bit and is still pretty young + getting better. You gotta pay him top QB money because that is what he is. It's not his fault that management hasn't been able to build a team around him with the money that they have. this isn't me just saying something it's facts, we've been at the bottom of the league for many important areas since Staff has been in the league, he can't control that. bob quinn will be better though. you gotta top QB why wouldn't you pay him lol.

Look at what the Falcons did. In 2 years they made it to the super bowl under a good coach Dan Quinn. They're offense is stacked with play makers. -We need to upgrade our run game -Some deep threats and play makers for WR. -Improve defense so they are at least in the middle of the pack

I'm liking everything Quinn has been doing except for not firing Caldwell. I think that will be done next year as his contract expires, Josh McDaniels went back to NE so he could wait till Caldwell gets canned!
    #QWiNNING

Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    It's easy to say "just add better players" and the offense will be great.

Its another thing to balance a 53 man roster, 53 contracts and stay under the cap. We have a ton of cap room now, but when your roster now contains the highest paid QB in the NFL, you're going to have to make concessions in different areas.

Starter positions that could use upgrades: WR, TE, RT, DL, DE, LB, LB, SS, CB. Not to mention the depth behind a lot of those spots. I find it hard to believe it's an easy task after committing a ton of money to one player.

Good teams continue to win when their starters get injured. Their offensive or defensive strategies are based on teamwork, not single players. If Stafford went down, the offense would be dead. So...do you pay the guy a ton because of that? Or do you build a better core so not one player controls your team's destiny? Even the great Aaron Rodgers couldn't single handedly win a playoff game when his team's lack of depth was exposed.
    I honestly have no ****ing clue how people don't see it this way.

Quote Originally Posted by One Nut Kruk View Post
    I honestly have no ****ing clue how people don't see it this way.
    Its crazy when a player like Slay goes down for us we all know we are extremely screwed come the secondary, but the great teams have players go down and everyone else around him or behind him can step up and do a respectable job. I would like that here.
    AA"LOL"L
    2015 Detroit Lions Prediction Game WINNER

Quote Originally Posted by vader817 View Post
    I would like for option 2 to happen but realistically that won't happen. Stafford will be extended and he should. He has been the best QB that this franchise has ever had. We really need a RB to help our offense out. We really need defensive playmakers. We couldn't get to the QB and we let QB's complete over 70% of their passes. I honestly believe that Stafford will ask for a team friendly contract.
    This is the key, Stafford has now worked through 2 major pay day contracts and extensions. This negotiation will determine where Stafford's head is actually at. If he takes friendlier contract that allows the lions to continue to build around him and sign players than he will show he wants to win. If he tries to "set the market" for a qb than it shows he just wants the money and is not interested in the quality around him. You can't take up a large chunk of the salary cap and then expect the franchise to build around you.

If option 2 is the case than I really feel trading him is the best option.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast