Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 292 1231151101 ... LastLast

Trump's First 100 Days

A lot is being posted on other threads about campaign promises. Perhaps, we should have a place to discuss what Trump actually does while in office.

So far, on Friday, Trump signed 3 executive orders, two dealing with his cabinet and a third dealing with easing the burden of the repeal and replacement of Obamacare and suspending regulations, not currently in effect from going into effect prior to his cabinet being able to review them. One of these had to do with a reduction of a quarter point on a limited number of FHA loans which would amount to $29 per month on $200 K mortgages. Perhaps, if Ben Carson gets confirmed, he can review it and decide whether to recommend reenacting this last minute Obama executive order.

Today, Trump is issuing executive orders to withdraw from TPP and the intent to renegotiate trade agreements under NAFTA. This is in line with his Presidential goals.

Thursday, Trump will meet with the Prime Minister of England and he with meet with the President of Mexico on the 30th (Next Monday) to discuss trade, immigration and border security.

I just can't wait to see the Mexicans out building that wall

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    Today, Trump is issuing executive orders to withdraw from TPP and the intent to renegotiate trade agreements under NAFTA. This is in line with his Presidential goals.

Thursday, Trump will meet with the Prime Minister of England and he with meet with the President of Mexico on the 30th (Next Monday) to discuss trade, immigration and border security.
    I'm just concerned that Trump opposes TPP because of China, who is not included. I would figure he would like it since the whole point was to undercut China's power (economic and militarily) in the region.

Voting on a new CIA Director this afternoon. Hopefully we'll get a vote on the Secretary of State next. Secretary of State already missed today's meeting between Russia, Kurds and Syria over Syria's future.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyi View Post
    A lot is being posted on other threads about campaign promises. Perhaps, we should have a place to discuss what Trump actually does while in office.
    Good idea.

-- President Trump on Monday reinstated a policy that originated in the Reagan era, prohibiting the use of United States foreign aid to health providers abroad who discuss abortion as a family planning option.

-- President Trump issued executive orders Monday freezing federal hiring. The hiring freeze excludes the “military, public safety, and public health.” A hiring freeze was included in the Trump presidential campaign’s “Contract with the American Voter.”
    Last edited by Crovash; 01-23-2017 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I'm just concerned that Trump opposes TPP because of China, who is not included. I would figure he would like it since the whole point was to undercut China's power (economic and militarily) in the region.
    Or you are just hardheaded and refuse to tout something you would be having a parade for if Bernie was the one doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Or you are just hardheaded and refuse to tout something you would be having a parade for if Bernie was the one doing it.
    Yeah, even Hillary came around on TPP, and pretended she was always against it. House Democrats didn't support it either. TPP was an Obama thing that no one else wanted, which is why he had to do an executive order.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    I support TPP and other trade deals like it. I like NAFTA and think that free trade is a generally good thing for this country. I would prefer not to pay additional money for a product just so that I can have a "Made in the USA" sticker/stamp on it.

so I guess this goes here.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.11a3419cd4bb

The first drone strikes of the Trump administration happened over the weekend
    The first drone strikes under President Trump were carried out in central Yemen over the weekend, the Pentagon said Monday.

On Friday, Saturday and Sunday, armed U.S. drones attacked al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Yemen at Al Bayda, a town about 175 miles southwest of Sanaa, the capital. The strikes killed five fighters, said Navy Capt. Jeff Davis, a Pentagon spokesman, and they did not require approval by recently appointed Defense Secretary James Mattis or Trump.

U.S. aircraft also carried out bombing missions in Iraq and Syria in recent days in support of local forces attacking Mosul and advancing on the Islamic State’s self-declared capital of Raqqa.

In the mix today, reopening the pipeline in SD.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...rtion-overseas

It seems he will be going after Roe v Wade after all. ,aybe all those women protesters had a legitimate reason to protest

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsand...rtion-overseas

It seems he will be going after Roe v Wade after all. ,aybe all those women protesters had a legitimate reason to protest
    I read this and didn't know a lot about it, but then, I saw that it is a ban that was put in place under Regan 's executive order, removed under Clinton's executive order, back under Bush and removed again under Obama. So, it is a friggin tennis ball based on your political party. Trump won the elections with the largest support among Evangelicals in history, so I guess he's obligated to at least counteract Obama. Taking a leap to the repeal of Roe vs. Wade is valid discussion, but it is a very large leap.

I believe that to repeal Roe vs Wade, you will need 5 conservative zealots on the court, not even a simple majority, because I think that most judges respect legal precedent. I would venture to guess that Roberts as conservative as he is, wouldn't vote for it, nor would Kennedy, Alito, perhaps and Thomas very likely. I think Trump would have to replace Scalia, both Thomas and Kennedy, if they both retire, and another judge to die on the Democrat side to get the votes needed and even then it would be a battle to get conservative zealots confirmed, especially since several of the most conservative candidates are women. At most, I see some ground at giving states rights over partial birth abortion and parental approval (so their daughter doesn't die on the operating table during a rare occurrence of an abortion gone wrong).

Just my opinion.

Secretary of State nominee out of committee last night, but not going to the full Senate until next week. Commerce Secretary out of Committee today and should sail through confirmation.

Dems digging in heels on Health Secretary. Rumor, I heard, on radio was February 15th. Delay, delay, delay.

Page 1 of 292 1231151101 ... LastLast