Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Tyrod is a decent all around qb, but it's not like he's slinging it around 50 times a game. Tyrods game is playing smart, avoiding turnovers and using the ground game (both his scrambling and his running backs). I like tyrod, and I think he's a really good qb for the right teams. If you're a team like Denver, who has a very good defense, tyrod is a good guy to have. He's smart enough to avoid turnovers, and can scramble when the OL isn't great. But from a pure WR perspective, he doesn't throw it a ton and is more than willing to throw dump offs and tight end quick hitters.

Tyrod has made 30 starts for the bills. In that time, he thrown for 300+ yards once (week 16 of last year) and 250+ yards only seven times in 30 starts. He's a good qb who can win games, and he maybe hasn't had the best WRs to throw to, but he's probably not the guy I hitch my wagon to as a young wr.

Gunter was claimed by the Panthers

RIP Gene Wilder

Brian Cushing was suspended 10 games for violating NFL policy on performance enhancing drugs.

RIP Gene Wilder

Quote Originally Posted by PackerBum9786 View Post
    Gunter was claimed by the Panthers
    Knew he would get claimed.. Pretty decent fit too.

It's disappointing to see that Gunter is gone, but I know a lot of people have mixed opinions on him, obviously he doesn't have the speed to be an elite corner in the NFL, but his frame work is going to keep him around the league for a while. He was simply a solid depth guy, then again this is now year two for him, and maybe that was all a fluke, and the Packers cut their losses when they could. However, I think it is still a two sided matter. This secondary is much deeper which made this an option and this should be a bit promising. While Gunter was never going to carry the load he held his own for the most part last season. I agree he should do alright in Carolina.

I think the thing with Gunter is that best case scenario, house, Rollins, Randall and king are all better than him. So beat case he's the 5th corner. And I don't think he was a major contributor on specials, so it makes it hard to keep a guy like that. As your 3rd or 4th corner, you can get away with an okay special teamer. If you're a 5th guy, you kinda need to be a special teamer or a high upside young guy.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    I think the thing with Gunter is that best case scenario, house, Rollins, Randall and king are all better than him. So beat case he's the 5th corner. And I don't think he was a major contributor on specials, so it makes it hard to keep a guy like that. As your 3rd or 4th corner, you can get away with an okay special teamer. If you're a 5th guy, you kinda need to be a special teamer or a high upside young guy.
    I agree with you, but I would be fearful to put Gunter on special teams especially due to his lack of speed. The Packers don't necessarily have an elite special teams cover team here. If your going to have the speed of a linebacker on special teams might as well put a LB there he's likely to tackle better. The more I really go through the Gunter move, the more I really am coming to terms he's not worth getting upset over.

Yea, but to be clear, when I say best case, I mean best case scenario for the packers. There's always worst case for the packers where Rollins and Randall play like they did last year and gunter is better than them.

Gunter is just kind of meh for me. I get the allure of keeping him, since at worst you have a guy in Gunter who can be a serviceable corner in the correct scheme and matchup. But on the flip side, if they believe in their young guys, I completely understand why they let him go.

Pips not playing any teams ATM though is he? Is he even up?

He was inactive the first week. So it's probably difficult to say if he would be a key member of any special teams.

He was inactive the first week. So it's probably difficult to say if he would be a key member of any special teams.
    Yeah I guess my point was how can you keep a guy for St who doesn't play. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have potential. IIRC he gunned with the ones for a period in PS

In my mind, there's a lot of things that go into the active or inactive decision. Perhaps they activated Gunter because they still weren't 100% confident in house's hamstring. So they maybe prioritized a true 5th corner over a special teams guy. Maybe they now have confidence in the 4 guys above gunter on the depth chart that they would prioritize special teams.

I get the pipkins argument and I was actually surprised he made the team to be honest. So I too am a little surprised they let gunter go before him. They must like his upside.

In my mind, there's a lot of things that go into the active or inactive decision. Perhaps they activated Gunter because they still weren't 100% confident in house's hamstring. So they maybe prioritized a true 5th corner over a special teams guy. Maybe they now have confidence in the 4 guys above gunter on the depth chart that they would prioritize special teams.

I get the pipkins argument and I was actually surprised he made the team to be honest. So I too am a little surprised they let gunter go before him. They must like his upside.
    That's kind of my point. Gunter is someone you can trust to play. He can take real deal snaps. Not 8 ST coverage ones, okay fair enough. Just think the sum of his parts has to be superior

But if you don't need him to play real deal snaps, then the 8 special teams snaps are more important. I probably agree with you, but I can see the argument for pipkins, especially if they think his potential to play real snaps down the road is higher.

For those of you who were worried about losing Jayrone Elliot, the Cowboys cut him today, but it sounds like they get to keep the draft pick in the process.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast